Newbie Cali questions | FerrariChat

Newbie Cali questions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomc, Jun 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've not been able to find answers online or in manual, so I now appeal to you.

1. Does the Cali sound a warning tone if you leave the lights on? I've heard it with key left in ignition, but I left the head lights on the other day while gassing up, and don't recall any noise.

2. Can I switch to Sport from Comfort mode while the car is moving? Or, only when stopped?

3. Finally, what does Sport setting do for me? Is it like Sport/Sport Plus on my 997.2S? Faster shifts? Firmer suspension?

Thanks for any advice...T

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Hi Tom ...

1) No, no warning tone for the lights, they shut off when you turn off the ignition, so you can leave them "on" all the time if you want. I wish you could leave it on auto but I get a "dimming adjust" screen on startup when I do that.

2) Yes, you can change modes while moving.

3) The manettino settings adjust the traction control; it is at its highest ("safest") setting in Comfort mode and off in the CST-off mode. In a car with the Magneride suspension it will also firm up the shocks when you put it in Sport mode. (In the California T this is now separately adjustable). I have also noticed that the exhaust is louder in Sport, so I am assuming it is opening up the valves a bit.

Others will chime in, no doubt.

3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you, Vic!
    T

4. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    1. My lights are always one. When I turn off the engine, remove the key and open the door, all power goes off. The radio is actually on till I open the door.

2. You can switch to sport at anytime. If wife is in car I drive comfort, else sport. My car a lot loader in sport, it also give a back fire when down shift.

3. I can state exactly what happens, but it claims to shift faster, stiffer driving, and opens exhaust.

5. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    The magneride can only be turned on when you are in Sports mode, you can turn it on or off in Comfort mode. I have never driven in esc mode (off). I have magneride, I cannot tell the difference when its on or off. Maybe on a track.

I can really tell the difference between driving with warm engine and warm brakes.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks. Sounds like it's time to crank up the mannetino to Sport! 😎

Thank you.

T

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    typo...

You "cannot" use magneride in Comfort. You can only turn it on/off in Sport.

8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I think you cannot deploy the "sport" setting for the shocks with the manettino in the comfort setting ... Magneride refers to the electromagnetic fluid in the shocks, which stiffens or softens the ride depending on the amount of current being applied. The shocks can adjust constantly to body roll as directed by the ECU -- presumably they are doing that in the California regardless of the mode that is selected. Interesting technology. From Delphi, no less.

I believe on the T you can soften the shocks back up for bumpy roads while maintaining the other characteristics the Sport setting allows -- exhaust, less obtrusive traction control, etc.

I just leave mine in Sport all the time : )

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks everyone. Coming from six in the back to eight in the front, I've spent my first month in fully nanny mode. Comfort + Auto. Just want to get used to driving the Cali before upping the drama! :)
    T

10. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Get used to the paddles and sport mode T, then get over to the Addison Airport TunneL....enter it in 2nd nice and slow....floor it to 6K-7K, and tap up to 3rd, then 4th. You'll love it. I guarantee you'll be grinning ear to ear. Anyone else in the tunnel will have a WTF expression on their face.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Will do, Jason!
    T