paid less than MSRP when ordering a new one | FerrariChat

paid less than MSRP when ordering a new one

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by iloveferrari, Jun 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Hi, there, I am in the process of ordering our first Ferrari. So please understand that I am not too familiar with the process. Is it possible to expect any kind of discount when ordering a new california t? We felt that getting a new one that is 2017 at a price similar to a used 2015 makes more sense... Please don't flame as this is a genuine question. Thank you.

2. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    What part of the world are you in?

3. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    Ferrari offers no discounts on new cars, all paid at MSRP if you are the originator

4. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I know you can get a new car for less than MSRP from a dealer. One the car is on the floor. It was ordered and canceled. New car. Also some demo cars have not been titled, so they are selling as new.

From everything I know if you are ordering, you are paying MSRP. Not to say discounts does not happen, but know one suggested it to me. I ended up buying used with 1500 miles.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is possible because the guy lost his deposit. But normally the answer is No discount on new cars.

6. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    That would be my assumption is the cost is being absorbed by the person who canceled the order. But I was offered two new cars, both below sticker (two different dealers). I had no choices. The car was on the floor.

7. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #7 iloveferrari, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    Thanks for the inputs. I guess my next question is that by which payment method will the dealer be more willing to budge? finance, lease, or cash. I am capable to do any one, but prefer cash or finance. I am intimidated by the open end lease.

I still feel like the market for California T is not as strong as 488. The dealer I went to have 3 new and one used with only 60+ miles on it as a consignment with 10K below sticker. All the new ones do not have full electric seats which is a must for me. In this market I still feel like if I walk in with that much cash, there should be some negotiating power on my behalf..

But again, what do I know, never was a ferrari owner before, but now with kids going to college, my wife and I would like to enjoy life a bit more...

Apologize if my questions come off ignorant...but if I don't ask, I will never know...

8. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    On my first new Ferrari I asked the same question as you have here.
    The best answer I received was "there is no Italian word for discount".
    I did chuckle on reading that.
    But, I have not heard of anyone in the U.S. getting a discount when ordering a new Fcar.
    Let us all know if you succeed.

9. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I paid cash. Not offer of discount for type of purchase. They assume you have the cash or you would not be looking at $250K vehicle.

I was offered $5k and $20K off of new. Might be the color, the options, the number of cars the dealer had.

Buying used you have more room.

The fact is you are looking for the lowest price you might find the worst car. In my case I would never notice $20K plus or minus. So why barter over $20k. Know what the car is worth. Make an offer. There is defiantly more than one available.

10. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    It's simple, they build to order, Why discount? But 60 miles is new, it would get 60 miles at the plant being test driven. If you don't have to make every choice, you don't need the order and wait experience, then look for one on the floor. IMO

11. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    #11 JPA, Jun 16, 2016
    You will see a good amount of used caliT with very low mileage for sale and possibly discounted. This happens for the reason that the originator wasnt "selected" to buy a 488 from the dealer unless he/she develops a purchase history with the dealer. In doing so the caliT is purchased with the sole intent to dump it for the 488. This occurs frequently in my area, so as a previously mentioned you will be able to get that low mileage car discounted by 10/20k. If you don't mind someone else spec car you may save a couple bucks. Good luck

12. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    A few additional thoughts. Unlike almost any regular car, the options on a Ferrari can vary widely, and they are not cheap. When looking for a 'deal' knowing what you want on a car is really important. Don't care about carbon fiber kick sills, engine cover, door panels, and save Thousands! There are a few threads in the forum about what people think are must have options. I would figure out the must haves on my list, then buy the skinniest optioned one year old car out there. Carguru might be worth looking at to get a sense of the market. Lastly, FCars are not like the German or Asian cars you might have owned. There is a little more to the care and feeding, which you will also find in these forums. On the other hand, none of those cars will incite the pure emotion of joy in you or others that see it like a Ferrari will.

13. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #13 iloveferrari, Jun 16, 2016
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I actually test drove the McLaren and Lambo first and also been lurking at the corresponding forums before test driving the California. The sophistication of the f car owner in general I feel are at a different level than the other two crowds, which I appreciate. I currently have porsche GT3 and GT4, and California really is a very comfortable yet formidable car.

My current build. Rosso exterior and black top. Nero interior and rosso stitching and rosso piping and rosso center tunnel and seatbelts. Yellow tachometer and brakes. Ventilated full electric seats and backup camera. 20inch "star" wheel. Aluminum foot rest. Shields on the side of course.

Am I missing any must have? Thanks!!

Agree with the almost brand new used car with 10-20k off. The one they have is white with lipstick red interior everywhere. I literally felt dizzy seating in it. So too bad, otherwise it is a great steal.

Thanks guys

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The one thing I wish my car had that it does not is the carbon fiber wheel with the LEDs. But it's what you think that's important if you're doing the ordering : )

15. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree - this is important. Is it not possible to retrofit?

Thanks,
    Erik

16. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    You can retrofit but I think even a used LED wheel is $4k + and then whatever the dealer has to do to activate the LEDs. Probably a good idea to have them install it to due to the airbag.

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would do the front camera too - for parking up to the curbs. Not sure about the CaliT, but the front parking sensors on my Cali30 are useless for that maneuver. You should also seriously consider the HS upgrades. I upgraded my Cali30 after 3 years of driving without it and I regret not ordering it with my car.

Finally, if I were spec'ing a car to keep, I would also look into a custom trunk liner from the factory. They would likely be horrendously expensive but they are incredibly beautiful and I personally find the felt liner in my trunk depressing to look at. I would at least check out the costs of various options.

Here's a weblink to the Ferrari tailor-made studio website, INEDITA

18. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Thanks!! I will test drive the HS very soon. Supposedly the dealer will have a demo coming in. I am conflicted about about the steering wheel.. Because I am used to judge the timing of shifting based on hearing the engine.. Don't know if the LED will help or distract...

19. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Michael, question for you (as I'm not the Cali expert). In 458, F12 and FF, we could spec alcantara boot lining during the order process, was not Tailor Made. That's not a selectable option (or, at least, simple Extra Campionario?).

For the OP, just as a couple thoughts having been through the spec'ing process...

Sensors and Cameras for sure. Unfortunately they are very expensive, but are very handy. In hindsight, wish we had ordered them on the F12 and FFs; 458's were a bit easier.

Plenty of opinions, but stock stereo is lousy, upgraded is lousy too but just more expensive.

Decide if you want carbon fiber; it's (also) expensive and in my view, you either need to do the entire interior in carbon, or none (the mix/match does not work for me). IF you want a leather wheel (very nice), you can get the LED's with it, but it's a special request (that they do all the time). Considered that on our FF's.

Regardless of which year/model, seriously consider the handling package whether on order or as an included retrofit.

Good luck

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The "luggage Compartment Carpets in Alcantara" was available as an option for CAD 2,365 back in 2012 when I ordered my car... but I hated Alcantara. :D However, I would have picked "same (leather) trim as interior". I seemed to recall asking my salesman about it. Unfortunately, no one mentioned the INEDITA studio options back then. I would have sprung for that as well as the steering wheel LED strip covered in same leather as steering wheel. That was my major objection to the LEDs - black LED strip on a cuoio steering wheel was no-go for me.

21. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Did you include magnaride?

22. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #22 iloveferrari, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    I was told that is not necessary because if I go sport mode, I should expect the ride to be stiffer. But the magnaride can make it softer again with bumpy road when I press the button...is my understanding correct?

23. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
  24. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Do that in a Ferrari and you'll be missing out on an extraordinary amount of fun. Your ear will tell you to shift at 5000 rpm's but your engine will have a lot left.

25. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    magna-ride was developed by GM and has taken over as the preferred suspension option with all car manufacturers...short version it is about adjustable shock absorbers... computer controlled with a few driver selectable settings... which are augmented by driving style, speed, road conditions... it is all good, with magna ride one is not left wishing for a softer or stiffer ride as the road or mood changes... standard setup allows for "size fits all" without the ability to change... it is a very good option to have as it extends the joy of driving