Thinking of buying a '12 California | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying a '12 California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by harrish1985, Jun 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    I currently have a '13 AM V8 Vantage Roadster which I think is very beautiful but I'm really interested in the California. Is there anything in particular I should look for except for the standard PPI? Does Manhattan Motorcars in NY do PPIs? I don't think they're an authorized Ferrari dealer. I'm looking a '12 in particular with 13k miles. The car fax shows several trips to the Ferrari dealer for "service" when it was registered down in FL. Lastly, does the 7 year Ferrari maintenance transfer over to the new owner even though it's a used vehicle? Thanks!

2. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I believe that the 7 year maintenance starts from the in service date and is attached to the car regardless of how many owners. Can't answer other questions.

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The 7 year program only covers the scheduled maintenance and it's associated to the car independently of the owner. This program is not a warranty because as far as I know it doesn't cover the costs of substitution of any mechanical parts but only the labor, eventually. In principle I presume this 2012 Cali was sold with a 3 year Ferrari warranty which covered all the main mechanical parts like engine, gear-box/transmission, etc. and when this warranty expired in 2015, unless a 1 year extension was purchased by the owner, the car is not any longer under warranty. My intention is only to inform and not alarm but you have to be aware of the fact that a car in this circumstances, without a warranty extension, in the eventuality of having a major problem in the engine or gear-box/ transmission all the substitution parts costs will be integrally supported by the owner. Just as an example in the eventuality of a faulty gear-box substitution by a new one it can cost as much as 30k.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Eek! You've scared me, Mario! 😀 Seriously, they're great cars. I'm 7 weeks into the ownership experience and it's awesome. F-chat is a great place to research Ferrari. Most definitely, if your financials permit it, go for it. It's a great car...T

5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom I'm not trying to scare you or anyone but because I've had recently a gear-box issue with my 20.000 Km Cali I'm this kind of boring grand, grand father. In my Cali's case in the worst scenario it might be necessary to put a new gear-box but Ferrari in Maranello is analyzing and doesn't know yet, just imagine for a second that I didn't have the extended warranty………… Instead of posting on my thread the latest "Moon river" picture I would have certainly posted instead the "Cry me a river"one…

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I was, of course, joking, but your point is an excellent one. People focus on the purchase price, and not enough on maintenance, insurance, etc. costs. Ferrari are great cars, you don't want any nagging doubts in the back of your mind when you're driving around, detracting from your enjoyment.

OP... Sounds like you're near N.Y. Miller Motorcars in Greenwich is in the tri state area. I bought my Cali from them. Great experience...T

7. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    I ended up buying a '13 with 3k miles and special handling package and tons of options. Sticker on it was $265k+. Really liking it so far!

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Congrats...T

9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Congratulations a great package and relatively new Cali still under warrantee……..