Engine Running In | FerrariChat

Engine Running In

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by good2go, Jun 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    From manual...

--
    Engine and transmission
    Avoid exceeding 5,000 RPM for the first 1,000 km. After starting, do not exceed 4,000 RPM until the engine has warmed up (oil temperature: 65-70 °C / 149-158 °F). Do not let the engine run at a constantly high speed for a prolonged time.
    --

My car had a new engine right before I bought the car. I did not know there was a engine running in period. I have put more than 1000 km on the car. But I drove many times over 5000k RPM.

Is there any really serious issue with exceeding 5K RPM during the running in period? Is this sustaining 5K for extended time? I'm only doing it for short accelerations. Majority of miles have been put on highway and running at 2K RPM for hours. I have 5 to 6 hours of highway driving.

I do drive in "Auto" until the car is warmed up at which time I switch to manual and exceed 4K RPM all the time.

The car is running great. No issues. It is an absolute blast to drive.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I do not switch out of Comfort mode and do not exceed 5K RPMs until the Cali is up to temp. Ditto for my Porsche. Generally, I am waiting until the engine temp is about 175 F, before I get enthusiastic in RPMs. Of course, at this time of the year in Texas, it does not take a long time for the engine to come up to temp. ;)

Both my Cali and 911 were bought used and I assume (I hope!) broken in. Based on the reading I have done on the Porsche list, people adhere to all extremes. Some baby their cars until the end of break in period specified in the owner's manual. Some claim to exceed these limits accelerating away from the dealership after pickup! I'm a worry wart, so if it says to do it in the owner's manual, I do it - I assume that Ferrari engineers know more than I do!

T

3. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    When the cars are tested prior to delivery, they are put through their paces. They have been well above 5k already - and the engines are also run on dynos.

Ask a race car mechanic about break-in. Most will say that after the dyno sessions, break it in by driving it like it was built to be driven.

I don't get that part in the manual and never will. Warm up the car and enjoy driving it.

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    there are a ton of threads (i.e. debates) on "proper break in", and many opinions

What's True:

The factory does a hot run on the dyno, to make sure the engines run, and are within spec (temps, pressures, leaks, torque, hp). It's a functional test, not a full run-in.

Finished cars are road tested around Maranello. They are not driven on the track, but on the roads, in traffic. Again, this is a "by the checklist" functional test to make sure everything works, nothing loose, no weird sounds. Car is then rain tested, etc etc (the "test and evaluation" building is adjacent to the assembly building). They do test the ABS, TC and ESC, which does help the brakes bed in, but in my experience it's been variable.

Generally speaking, the cars pick up 20-30km during testing. If something needs adjustment, they will re-test. The rest of the "delivery miles" is the car being driven at the ports, and at dealer for PDI.

Brakes are typically NOT bedded in fully (that's a separate debate) simply due to the fact that traffic around Maranello is actually heavy (small country roads).

Opionions/Debate points

1) I do believe that an initial break-in period is good for the entire car - engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes. Increasing loads, a few temp cycles, etc.

2) thrashing the engine from the get go will probably do no harm. having said that, be careful as the tires and brakes might not yet be fully scrubbed/bedded

3) a number of active GT race teams do a prescribed break-in, including using different oils, and contend that it helps. Our team does and our cars tend to be strong runners and reliable. Can I prove it? Nah.

Only "issue" I've seen is some folks new to CCM brakes have complaints about the braking systems. CCM's do require heat to work well, perhaps a bit more initial pressure to get bite, but also can be lousy if not bedded properly.

Your car is probably ALL broken in and ready to be fully enjoyed, so hope you do so....

5. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    That was my thought as well. I have put well over a 1k miles in 6 weeks. And I drive at all speeds and acceleration. It runs great. No issues at all. Thanks for the comments.