California T in Africa: video | FerrariChat

California T in Africa: video

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Jul 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    #1 Ferrari 360 CS, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    I think this is quite impressive. Between the car, scenery and wild life it really presents very nicely. Note the dirt road!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2lXv8AKQz0[/ame]

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Sorry but I think the idea that a Ferrari like the Cali T is suited for dirt roads in areas far away from filling stations and tow trucks and service centers is simply silly.

I hope he has a spare can of gas in the trunk, as well as a full sized spare in case of a puncture from sharp rocks on these unpaved dirt roads.

I seem to be missing some unrecognized and untapped demographic. The African Safari driver who wants a Ferrari.

3. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Nicely shot and edited.

4. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    This is a beautiful short film.
    I think you can see the wild animal/car interspersed sequences for common characteristics but you don't really need to do anything but just enjoy the overall presentation and beauty of the scenery and the car at a high altitude without drilling down into mundane, irrelevant details.

5. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    It's a beautiful video, but I fail to see why the driving on a flat dirt road in a GT is very impressive. I mean it's not exactly hardcore offroading to say the least. As an ad to showcase the many facets of the cars personality and soul I like it. As an ad for its actual capabilities and target demographics? Not so much, but I don't think that's the case.

I really like the film Harry Metcalfe made where he took his TR a 2000 mile trip to and back from the Sahara desert. That's a real adventure.

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The Lusso is a better Ferrari fit for this kind of adventure.

But a nice piece of filmmaking nonetheless :)

7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #7 MDEL, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Who said a ferrari can't be driven on unpaved roads? In the picture below you can see an unpaved road which I've driven with my Cali for at least 15 miles. This type of road with a flat surface is no problem at all and the magneride suspension does an excellent job making a relatively comfortable ride. The only thing one has to be very careful is to avoid holes on the road because the Cali bottom bumps quite easily.
    That's not Africa but it's an area where there are also very large extensions of unpopulated land and on this ride with the top open it was such a pleasure to smell the flowers in the fields. The only drawback is the big quantity of dust coming from the road which means you can't drive fast and when you've finished the car needs a really good washing and cleaning.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I had a Cali. Enjoyed it very much. Nice to see you are too.

Ever get a tire cut by a sharp rock?

I have. The fix a flat can works well for nail punctures but not tears from rocks, Then you need a tow or else a full sized spare. Of course where you are driving there is civilization near by.

Anyway, to each his own.

Enjoy your cali! How many miles have you logged. I racked up about 65,000 miles.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    But I will say that the 14 second folding time for the hard top comes in handy if you run into some overly curious lions ot other large wildlife!

Some gorgeous creatures there!

As wild as a Ferrari.

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you. I've logged not many miles but I've been with her to very interesting places and one of them is this country side with the unpaved roads. By the way what surprised me about the unpaved roads on the video is the lack of dust and after a more detailed viewing you can tell that they've wetted the road.

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I agree, the roads look very even indeed!

It would be an adventure to go on an African safari.

One of the nicest parks is Pilanesberg (sp)

12. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agreed but for driving the Cape is best!