"Must Have" features for Used Cali Purchase? | FerrariChat

"Must Have" features for Used Cali Purchase?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BentleyC, Jul 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    In reading through the threads, I have seen several mentions of a list of "must have" features for the Cali. Sadly, I cannot locate the thread or threads that actually include the lists.

I'm looking for a 2014 California, and it's my first Ferrari, so I am trying to gather as much info as possible. If anyone can point me to those lists, I would appreciate it.

Also, any other info that you might classify under "Things I Wish I Had Known When I Bought my First Ferrari" would be great.

Thanks!

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I don't know anything about the lists but I just bought a 2010 and am missing cruise control, heated seats, and lumbar adjustment. Would have liked the backup camera too.
    Good luck

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Because most Calis are used as intended as GT cars, I suggest you look for a well-optioned car. It costs a lot to add things afterwards, if it's even possible.

Things std on most Lexuses, such as a rear view camera, cruise control, heated seats (very useful for top down driving), garage door opener, electrochromic mirrors, memory seats. I personally think Magneride is brilliant, but some say they can't tell the difference. HS is worthwhile.

Beyond that, don't get an odd color combo unless you love it so much you are unlikely to ever sell it. Get shields, also for resale, and besides, I actually like them.

4. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    Thanks for those replies. I live in SW Florida, so I think I can pass on heated seats, but the others would be useful. My preferred color at the moment is white with a black interior.

How important is it to get a "Ferrari approved" car vs any well maintained California. It appears that FA gets you a 1 year warranty in the US. Can a warranty be purchased separately for a non-FA car?

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Depends on the dealer, not all "Approved" cars have a warranty, but it is available for purchase. I have had two cars with warranties (one a California) and never used either one.

6. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    Another question re pricing. If a Ferrari dealer has a 2014 California shown on their website at $175-180K, what is a reasonable first offer and what is a reasonable expectation for final selling price?

7. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
  8. 430maybe

430maybe Karting

Oct 12, 2012
    Northern England
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    LEDs on steering wheel; carbon around the place, especially the bridge; 30 HS; Scud shields (for resale only);

9. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I also wanted the aluminum foot rest. I think it holds up better. People comment when they get in that they link the foot rest.

I like the carbon led steering wheel too.

I created a spread sheet, then I listed the various options that were important to me. As I found cars I liked I added to the spread sheet, image, price and if it had the option or not.

It helped to kept track and it help to eliminate some cars. I was down to 5 cars, so I started making offers.

10. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    I've been doing the same sort of thing. I found 2 cars that more or less check every box on my list. One is $170K, from a non-ferrari dealer and one is $174K from a Ferrari dealer. Assuming the PPI comes back all clear, what is a reasonable opening bid. Is $160k too low?

11. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Sent a PM.

12. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    I don't understand why the LEDs on the steering wheel is on so many "must have" lists. Is it a "looks cool" thing or do you actually like the functionality? It didn't make my priority list of options. I just don't see it as being necessary or useful. Am I missing something?

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I forgot to included it in my post above, but I agree it's very useful. When you drive the car hard, the engine revs up too fast for the analog needle to keep up, and the LEDs are more clearly in your line of sight as you look down the road. It's also a very cool feature not found on non-Ferraris. Because of this, it can be hard to sell a Cali later if you don't have the LED wheel.

14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Before I purchased my Cali I've searched during many months through all the available cars in Europe and learned something during this process. When I begin the search I was much less selective than at the end and time happened to be a very good adviser. On the age range I was searching for 2009 to 2013 I remember that most Calis available didn't have the Magneride suspensions and after reading different opinions on the subject I decided this feature was a must. The rear view camera was another feature that most cars didn't have and after talking to owners they told me that's a must specially when you park in tight spaces. In terms of interior color and style the differences were also huge between the different cars available and along the process I decided that the seat had to be Daytona style and all the interior in a single color Cuoio.

The special exhaust wasn't a feature I've been searching for but because one of the cars on my short list had a Capristo I had to find out more about this subject. Soon discovered this feature was a rather expensive "bijoux" which was capable of making some special sounds and because this particular Cali had all the possible available features and was in the color I liked more I ended up buying her.

In terms of the Cali factory features I would advise to buy a car with as many as possible because none of them are really superfluous and earlier or later they'll be used.

15. Mn-0127

Mn-0127 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2013
    +1 on the magneride, it's night and day different especially if you use it as a Dd.

16. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    #16 BentleyC, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    The 2014 Cali30 I'm looking at has the Special Handling package. How does that differ from Magneride?

17. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    As far as I know the special handling package is as follows " the HS package focuses purely on the chassis, and doesn’t include exhaust mods. There’s a 10% quicker steering rack, reducing the number of turns from 2.5 to 2.3, while the springs are 15% stiffer up front, 11% at the rear, and the magnetorheological dampers are retuned to suit".
    I might be wrong but I believe the HS package works with both types of alternative suspensions springs or Magneride.

18. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I might be wrong but I believe the HS package works with both types of alternative suspensions springs or Magneride.[/QUOTE]

I would like to make a correction I believe the HS package works with both types of alternative dampers standard and Magneride.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    MagneRide is the shock system. HS package requires MagneRide. Sensors sample road inputs at thousands of times per second and adjust the electric current controlling the magnetic properties of the magnetically reactive fluid in the shocks, effectively re-tuning them as you go. Conventional adjustable shocks typically have only a few settings set in advance, which control the valving, instead of the fluid. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide. Anyway, if the car has HS, it will also have MagneRide.

As MDEL notes, the HS system has a different spring and steering package. Also, the MagneRide has differently tuned firmware. I don't know of any Cali that has only HS but conventional dampers.

20. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    Thank you both. So I guess the one I'm looking at does have MagneRide. I need to read up to better understand the system. It wasn't one of the items on my must-have list, but I figured it would be good for resale.

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Allow me put you ALL STRAIGHT ON the HS Pack and Magneride for the California and California 30. I bought my Cali30 new and I still have the options list. I also remember what happened during the ordering process.

The non-CaliT HS Pack for the original Cali/Cali30 INCLUDES Magneride. The HS Pack CANNOT FULLY FUNCTION without Magneride because the upgraded Magneride ECU only works if the car has Magneride shocks (gee, that makes sense doesn't it?). Magneride was a separate option when ordering the original Cali and Cali30. If you were ordering a new Cali and already selected HS Pack for your car you didn't need to add Magneride because, I repeat, the HS Pack already included Magneride.

HS Pack cannot be retrofitted to non-Magneride cars.

22. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    Thanks 4th Gear. The options list for the Cali30 I'm looking at says "HSHS Special Handling Package". So that clears that up.

Interesting that MagneRIde was developed by Delphi and is available on cars ranging from Buick Lucerne, GMC Sierra and Range Rover.

23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for the explanation. I had this wrong idea that the HS pack was also able to work with the standard dampers just tuned stiffer but what you mentioned about the need for Magneride dampers and ECU makes all the sense.

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

You're welcome. According to 4th_Gear, HS is a "must". Having had the prior model without HS, I agree.

25. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    I've gotten differing opinions on whether HS is a must on the Cali30. It's pretty evenly split. I think it comes down to how people drive. If it just sees typical "daily driver" type action, then HS might not be as important to those who drive their Californias a little harder.