'13 California loss of 3rd gear | FerrariChat

'13 California loss of 3rd gear

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by harrish1985, Jul 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Just my luck...I was going to take the car in Monday to have it certified and get the warranty for a year when today while shifting manually the transmission light came on and I lost 3rd gear. I did notice that when the car was in second gear I would hear some metallic or grinding type sounds when I would be on the throttle. Now I have no third gear. Clearly it's the transmission. Can this be repaired at the dealer without replacing it? I just bought the car a month ago. I'm going to contact the dealer I bought it from but I know it's not under warranty. This is such a drag!

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    There has to be some dealership warranty regardless, unless you bought it as is ? Or bought for scrap.

3. harrish1985

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    I bought it 3 weeks ago. I'm honestly so turned off by this whole experience that I just want it to be bought back or traded in for another brand entirely.

4. harrish1985

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Light went off and all is back to normal now likely just a software glitch.

5. JoshH

JoshH Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Joshua Hill
    You really should still have the dealer check the car over and evaluate the transmission. There are some minor repairs being done at the dealers, but there are many cases where the entire unit is simply replaced. Either way, you don't want to wait for it to come out of your pocket unexpectedly.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    These two quotes don't agree with each other.

7. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I hear you.
    Ownership can be scary and pleasurable at the same time,,, depends on one's tolerance level I guess.
    Good luck

8. harrish1985

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    No more noise or issue after battery reset. Guess it's the good old computer glitches. My friends California had a CEL and a message "Engine System Control Failure" same thing with battery reset and his is as good as new lol!

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Well ... maybe so, let's hope. But if it were me I would get a Ferrari warranty on the car right away -- any sort of grinding or mechanical noise on a Ferrari can have terrifying implications for your checkbook. I would also look into whether or not there is a clause in the warranty that may preclude problems showing up immediately after the warranty goes into effect.

Used car purchases vary by state but some states have a statutory warranty automatically when you are buying from a dealer. In Massachusetts, for example, depending on the age and mileage of the car, there is as much as a 90-day 3,000 mile warranty that covers anything that would impede the safety or drivability of the car. A transmission would fall into both categories, obviously. The dealer has the option of paying for the repair or rescinding the sale minus some small amount per mile driven since purchase. The Lemon Law applies, as well, in Massachusetts. Your state may differ.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    If you read other posts about gear box/transmission issues on Calis you'll probably conclude that many times this type of problems show up and afterwards miraculously disappear to return again later on. I had this kind of experience with my Cali a couple of months ago when at least a two times, after start driving, the passage from 2nd to 3rd gear in automatic wasn't smooth at all. Because everything seemed perfect after the car warmed up it took the dealer two weeks of testing just to replicate this fault. Apparently one sensor is faulty just when the car is cold but becomes fine after warms up.

I don't want to be pessimistic and frighten you at all but the reality is that the Getrag Cali's gear box sometimes it's not what it looks (specially Cali models from 2009 to 2012) and there is an historical which shows that faulty sensors problems can be intermittent coming and going.
    The problem you reported might be over definitely but could happen again and as mentioned by vjd3, I would advise you to get a warranty straight away because even the simplest sensor substitution this gearbox/transmission is always a very expensive repair.