Ferrari California gearbox failure | FerrariChat

Ferrari California gearbox failure

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by oltean, Jul 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oltean

oltean Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    My Cali was changing gears on its own.
    3 years old, 9 k miles.
    Dealer called, needs new gearbox, warranty expired 60 days ago, total cost 35k.
    No words!
    Need advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Wouldn't be the first time failure has been reported.

Check out the California section, they might have a solution for you. Failure has been reported before.

If this is a "I can't believe that the transmission will fail on such an expensive car" or "I can't believe that Ferrari won't goodwill a transmission despite the warranty being expired". Good luck to you. Ferrari won't rebuild. find someone who can or put a used unit in.

3. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    3 years old, so, your car is a 2013. I thought this gearbox issue was already corrected by then.

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    What is this I've been reading about a 7 year warranty? Obviously not? WTF? And I'm looking at one of these?

5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The majority of Cali's gearbox/transmission problems are related to internal sensors failure. Recently I also had a problem with my DCT and it was the failure of the main shaft speed sensor . This is just to say that a new gearbox it's the ultimate solution you take and only when there has been an important mechanical failure because, other wise, if the problem is the failure of a sensor, the DCT can be open and repaired. My Cali's gearbox problem is covered by the extended warranty but if I had to pay this repair out of my own pocket it would cost me around 7K USD. That's a big difference to the new DCT 35K USD you mention so I would really confirm with the dealer if the DCT can be repaired and if he says no ask why ? Ultimately you might have to ask a third opinion on the subject.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Holy carp! I have no advice, but if I may ask, where are you located? Did the dealer day what specifically is wrong - mechanical? Electronic? Both? Something else?
    T

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I would guess that all the mechanicals inside your box are perfect.

Therefore it should be repairable. Since you have no warranty Ferrari is not willing to anything.
    However, some Ferrari service centers are able to open the box and replace sensors at a fraction of the 35K.

Ferrari Beverly Hills service might be able to help. I'd give their service dept a call or email.

You want a mechanic who is qualified to do the work so I'd stay within the authorized Ferrari service family.

Might save you 13K.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I vaguely recall a recent thread in which it was mentioned that some service centers would repair, others only replace. But, I can't lay my hands on it right now...T

9. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would get a second opinion, apply some pressure on Ferrari, to help out. Its a well known flaw or issue. I have had luck in the past getting large repairs covered if just outside of the original warranty period. You will have to research and find out who is high up enough to make the call to cover it to avoid an unhappy customer.
    Good luck!

10. Prancinghorse17

Prancinghorse17 Karting

Oct 14, 2012
    CFL
    This is disconcerting for sure. I have been contemplating moving from my 355 GTS 6 speed to a Cali 30 supposedly because they didn't have the gearbox issues of the earlier models. Seems like more Cali 30s are having gearbox issues now that some time has passed. Best of luck to the OP for a quick and more reasonably priced repair.

11. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Yikes. That's a nut punch.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Can you provide some additional details on what you mean by "My Cali was changing gears on its own"? We haven't heard of that one before.

I'm also surprised your dealer gave you a $35k repair bill price on the phone without even having your car brought in for inspection first. My dealer would never do stuff like that on the phone. Even the original complete DCT replacements did not cost $35k - AFAIK they were $25k. I also understand most if not all dealers now have at least 1 mechanic trained to locally service the DCT.

Sounds odd to me. Please post a copy of your dealer's repair quotation - I'd like to see how they come up with a $35K price tag.

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My first FF had a speed sensor fail after the second owner had purchased it. My dealer has training and permission to disassemble them and repair them and repaired it for the guy. I'd go for a repair long before the entire trannie as you have no idea the status of the replacement but you will need to find a competent dealer ... MAG in Columbus OH does a great job.

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #14 4th_gear, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Based on the lack of response and dubious information posted by the OP (who only has 1 post on Fchat), I would not place too much credence on his information. Ferrari dealers generally do not respond in the manner he described. The DCT is locally serviceable at much less money.

On the Internet, no one knows you are a dog.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MadF Man and Jhobrien like this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Funny cartoon. Does anyone know if the DCT is serviceable at all dealer locations?
    T

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

17. jerryw

jerryw Karting

May 18, 2009
    I had transmission issues in year one with just a few thousand miles. Lucky it was under warranty, I had enough issues with the dealer to know that I will not own this car out of warranty.

18. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Main reason I drive my car all the time. If I have a problem I want it in the first 3 years. I see cars that are 5 years old and they don't have enough miles to warrant a oil change.

19. jerryw

jerryw Karting

May 18, 2009
    7500 miles in first year. The cars that sit have another whole host of problems.

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

This is also why Ferrari takes forever to get around to updating poor parts. They don't have enough warranty claims to gauge the need to fix or upgrade them.

21. MBi

MBi Rookie

May 9, 2016
    New York
    Dealer is Ferrari Maserati LI where the car is and it's a 2012 California. He's waiting still for Ferrari's response.

22. F1CALI

F1CALI Karting

Sep 22, 2016
    Sydney
    Hi
    I just picked up my 2011 Cali
    Week ago, same issue
    In Auto, changing gears randomly
    I posted this and had no feedback
    Can i ask the end result
    My dealer in Australia
    Advised its speed sensor
    Waiting for the part to replace
    I was not aware they need to take the gearbox apart etc
    This happened as i drove car home, just purchased

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Sorry to hear this. I'd reach out to user MDEL, Mario. Sounds like you have same issue as he. Do you have extended warranty?
    T

24. F1CALI

F1CALI Karting

Sep 22, 2016
    Sydney
    Yes i have warranty
    Like more info so i am informed
    They are fixing the problem

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014