Lowering a California | FerrariChat

Lowering a California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dohangs, Aug 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Hi guys, anyone her lower their Cali? The Cali has aged very well. I've seen some pictures with them lowered and they look even better to me. If you've lowered yours, did you use aftermarket springs ? Can you use the stock springs and lower them. This can be done on the 430, but I'm not sure if it could be done on the Cali. How did it drive after it was lowered? Thanks for your help. Post some pictures of your lowered Cali as well.

2. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I wouldn't adjust the ride height off the stock suspension. The spring rate on the factory springs are made for the factory ride height, and get bouncy once lowered. Novitec makes a nice lowering kit for the car that replaces your factory adjustable springs with a set that's made to have a much higher spring rating to make up for that lower stance you're looking for.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Anyone got before/after pics of a lowered Cali?
    T

4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #4 Fabspeed Motorsport, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I was thinking of getting the Novitec springs for it instead of adjusting the stock suspension. Thanks for the info. I'm not considering lowering it that much , maybe an inch.

6. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    The Novitec springs do lower the car 1" - 1 1/8". The effect is exaggerated on our Novitec build as the wheels are a larger diameter.

7. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Do you Guys sell the springs?

8. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Of course, I can get you anything you need at anytime. I am going to send you a PM now.

If anyone else needs pricing, please shoot me a PM!

9. ljj33

ljj33 Rookie

Aug 28, 2013
    I lowered mine 20mm (3/4") on the stock suspension. It looks like a factory drop when you get larger wheels since the gap looks bigger due to the lower profile tires. Haven't had issues with it bottoming out or noticed any real degradation in ride quality. With the suspension in normal mode, the car feels like it handles better and less body roll. I was thinking of getting springs but I didn't want too much of a drop.

10. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Good to know. I was thinking a 1 in drop may be too much. Now I'm rethinking the springs. Can you post a picture of your car?

11. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    I lowered my 2013 Cal30 by 7/8" on the stock springs and did spacers too. Initially I lowered it by around 1 3/8 - 1 1/2" which looked great but I was bottoming out in undulations at speed, over speed bumps and on bad roads. Down 7/8" still looks great, has not degraded ride quality from what I recall from prior and has been quite manageable over bumps and on bad roads. I posted some pics a while back that you can take a look at.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You can lower on stock springs but I think Travis is right. I suspect the stock springs, especially on non-HS cars would be way too soft if you lower the car on them. From my experience they had a somewhat crashy ride over rough pavement at factory stock height. The car will likely bounce off the shocks a lot more often at a lower ride height. The springs need to be stiffer at a lower height. FWIW, my dealer actually lowered my car slightly when I upgraded my Cali30 to the HS-Pack which includes stiffer springs and the ride is even more comfortable than before.

13. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    #13 Randy R, Aug 9, 2016
  14. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Car looks much better lowered Randy R

15. DoubleLow7

DoubleLow7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012
    #15 DoubleLow7, Aug 9, 2016
    Here's my cali on H&R springs lowered close to 2.5" with 21/21" HRE RS100M wheels. It may not be to everyone's taste, but I love the way the car sits and luckily I have lots of experience driving this low as all my cars have been significantly lowered.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Stunning! Love the wheels - one of my favorite aftermarket wheels. Sadly, where I live, if my cali were that low, I'd be leaving a trail of bits and parts my entire route...

17. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    That looks great in my opinion. The Cali looks much better when it's lowered . The bigger wheels finish it off. I'd love to buy some aftermarket wheels but the cost is too much for me to justify . I've gotten quotes of $11k-$15k for a set . I think that's without tires.

18. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I jus called H&R to see about their springs. They said they no longer make them for the California. Anyone know if this is the case? When did you guys purchase your springs?

19. DoubleLow7

DoubleLow7 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012
    I was lucky to get my springs a few months ago from a listing on eBay, even knowing they had been discontinued. I contacted almost all vendors on eBay until I was able to confirm an "in-stock" inventory of the springs on hand, where I was lucky to find one last company with a leftover set in stock.

As for the wheels, HRE's vendors are your best bet and there are tons online and through the forums. Unfortunately the price quote you received are accurate, but when you dive deeper into the quality, process and customer service, I believe you are truly getting what you paid for.

Good luck.

20. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Looks like Vivid Racing have the H&R springs for the 08-11 Cali at a good price.

21. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks for the help. I just called Vivid racing , unfortunately, they cannot get them either. I May have to spend the extra money and get The Novitec.

22. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Hm. In that case they should really remove them from their website...

23. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I agree. They probably haven't had anyone order one in a while. When they contacted the company, they said it was discontinued .

24. Neema@TAG

Neema@TAG Rookie

Feb 25, 2015
    We've worked with Novitec for many years and have been using their springs with great results! I feel they provide an exceptional blend of ride comfort and enhanced agility on top of the more aggressive stance.

I will PM you our pricing on this Sport Spring Kit if you are interested.

25. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Ok thank you!