home link will not work with my 2013 cali! | FerrariChat

home link will not work with my 2013 cali!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by photonut, Aug 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    #1 photonut, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    the home link button on my rear view mirror used to activate my chamberlain garage door perfectly.
    i replaced the motor on my garage this summer and was surprised to find out that my ferrari home link is not compatible with the new motor.
    i am sure this is a common problem so i thought i would post the results of my research here for others to benefit:

chamberlain updated their motors in 2007.
    the new units (shipped after 2007) will only work with vehicles that have a vehicle transmitter v. 4.0 (or higher).
    most automobile manufactures implemented this new (4.0) standard in 2008.
    i have a 7 year old porsche, for example, that works perfectly with my newly installed motor.
    alas, the home link module in my 2013 ferrari does not use the 4.0 standard!!

there is a work around add-on device one can install in the garage as an option.
    see the link: https://www.facebook.com/notes/liftmaster/faqs-about-the-homelink-repeater-kit-for-liftmaster-models-8360-8550/221439917914472/

however, the preferred solution for me would be for ferrari to supply an updated (v.4.0) module to work with the newer garage motor.
    i am contacting my dealer to see if this is possible.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's odd. I have a LiftMaster Elite 8500 that was installed in 2014 and it works fine with my 2013 car. I imagine the 8500 (introduced in 2013) would be using at least the communications standard released in 2007. The transmitter technology can't be that different from Chamberlain's.

Did you follow the instructions from the Ferrari booklet on HomeLink? I had to play with mine a little bit but got it working on my second attempt.

3. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I would tear down the garage and start over. :)

4. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    I have attempted to program my 2013 Cali several times, following the instructions, trying variations, but with no success. I have a LiftMaster door opener from around 2008 or 2009. No problem programming Porsche's, VW's, Range Rovers etc. The dealer even tried programming the car with the remote but no success. I've just been using the remote instead. When you got yours to work, what were the steps taken? Anyone have any suggestions? I will also check into the software patch suggested at the beginning of the thread. Thanks

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 4th_gear, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah, I think programming these HomeLink devices are scary. You guys got me nervous now. I hope I never have to reprogram my cars. :D

Here's a screenshot of the instructions I followed. It's been a couple of years now so I can't remember all the details but I think I did mine from inside the garage. At first nothing happened so I thought it didn't work. I tried it again and it worked fine and has been working fine ever since. I just programmed it with the remote that came with my door opener, the same way I do it with my 2013 RAM pickup which I also successfully programmed to open the same door for my Cali30.

I used the first button from the left on my rear view mirror for my door. The button is small and I really have to press it quite firmly to make sure it clicks.

Have a look at these instructions if you don't already have a copy of them but the HomeLink in my 2013 Cali30 definitely works fine with my door, which only came out also in 2013.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Many thanks for posting. I do have these instructions and tried both options -- using the remote and pressing the "learn" button on the garage door motor itself. Neither has worked in the past but I'll try again tonight! Thrice the charm?? Alternatively, I could ask my wife to "stand by" the door opener in our house, just waiting for me to return from the golf club or the occasional drive around town or down to the Cape...but somehow that seems less likely to lead to a satisfactory outcome. :)

7. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i have 2 jack shaft liftmaster garage motors, one for each garage door.
    the older one is a model 3800 and programs nicely into the cali home link.
    the new one is a model 8500 and will not program.
    i used the same protocol.

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Since you have already programmed your buttons, you will need to erase the old codes.

Then you need to go through the process of reprogramming.

First erase the old codes. I think you press the first and third button long enough so that the lights blink differently.

Once the old codes have been erased. you can reprogram a new code. press the home link button you want to reprogram long enough to open the new programming session

Go to your garage door main motor box and press the learn button. A light will come on.

Next go back to the car and press the same home link button you pressed before and begin pressing it until the light changes.

Wait for the garage door learn session to end by sticking your head out of the car to see the light on the box has gone dark again (30 seconds is the average session time)

Now press the home link button several times to close the session and the garage door should respond.

If you have a fixed code system then get the remote which works and take it inside the car.

Press the home link button you want to reprogram until it starts to blink differently Now your programming session is open. Point the remote to the home link button and press the remote button several times until the home link button light blinks differently

Then press the home link button again several times to end the session.

9. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    old codes were erased.
    this did not fix the problem.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Then have you called your dealer?
    Then have you called home link?
    Then have you called your garage door company?
    And search YouTube too.

I've programmed many many cars. It is a frustrating process. and the home link instructions are not clearly written.

I recently did a new Lexus Rx350 I bought my mom for Mothers Day. It was a special order car so delivery was just a month ago.

The hardest thing to program was a spare remote control for a fixed code. You had to set the DIP switches, there were 11 on the new remote but the old remote only had 8. There weren't any instruction about how to set 9, 10, 11. You needed to turn them to off but they were set to on by default. That was an hour of my life!

Then you had to press the button on the remote 12 times and then switch the program button to off.

It took me two hours just to set that fixed code!

The Mayor gave up when trying to program his 458.

(He sold the car anyway so it didn't really matter for him.)

11. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i spoke with both the dealer and home link.
    the fix is the link i showed in the opening post

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Photonut, I must apologize. My LiftMaster door opener is actually an Elite 3800 and not the 8500.

I was unable to locate the original documentation from the installation of my door opener and tried to identify the model using the LiftMaster website, and got it wrong. Well, I just found the documents and my unit is indeed a 3800.

I don't know exactly when the 3800 came out but I believe they were on the market back in 2008/2009. At any rate, my experience with the 3800 is then entirely consistent with yours and there is no indication that any Cali30 will work with the newer HomeLink vehicle transmitter v. 4.0.

BTW Peter, sorry it looks like you'll be on the hook to your wifey after all... thrice will not do the trick. :rolleyes:

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks for posting this thread and the link.
    Hopefully car manufacturers will use the most up to date Homelink software so as to cover the newest garage openers.

14. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    The same thing happened with my wife's 2009 MB GL500 and my Bentley 2013 CGT, and 2014 458 and the fix is a repeater form Homelink. Its very easy to install and will have your in car switches working in 5 min.

Basically plug in the box with the antenna hanging down into the ceiling socket then you use the remote that comes with the kit instead of the one you already have and program the button on the car visor then hit the learn button on the back of the unit and push the same button you programmed in the car and you're good to go. The onn repeater will work for 3 openers in 3 different cars. I did it so can confirm it.

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/Accessories/Remote-Controls/model-HOMELINKBRIDGEKIT

15. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Forgot to add the kit costs about $30 and sometimes your garage door installer will even give it to you for free.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    *BINGO* Thanks Xray!

17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I posted this I think in 2012 when I got my 2nd Cali and could not get HomeLink to work. Lots of folks have trouble ... these actually work :).

HomeLink works great in my 2012 California ... now that I found instructions on a couple other websites, along with actually trusting the instructions. So, for those that get a new Cali with HomeLink (and you don't get instructions with the car) here you go.

First, it worked quickly and very easily with my 16 year old garage door. It took a few extra steps on my 2 year old garage doors which I falsely interpreted as a problem.

1. (Optional) Press two outside buttons on it and hold to clear the device on the car mirror, until the light blinks rapidly.j You can always clear a single mirror button by holding it about 30 seconds until it starts to blink rapidly if it had been programmed before.

Now the old garage door:
    1. Press and hold a button on the mirror until the green light blinks slowly
    2. Press and hold your garage door button on the remote until the green light on the mirror blinks fast
    3. Let go of both buttons

Try it, it should work just fine.

I expected that to work for a new garage door but there is an extra step you probably will have to do.
    1. Press and hold a button on the mirror until the green light on the mirror blinks slowly
    2. Press and hold your garage door button on the remote until the green light on the mirror blinks fast then let go of both buttons (you MAY have to press the garage door button a couple times according to the manufacturer)
    3. Try the mirror button, if it doesn't work (as mine did not work) do the next instructions
    4. Press the LEARN button momentairly on your garage door opener mounted in the ceiling of your garage
    5. Within 30 seconds get in your car and press the appropriate button on your mirror that you just programmed, look for the light on the garage door opener in your garage ceiling to blink.
    6. Try your mirror button now ... like magic it works.

Hopefully this helps someone. Now I can do the same thing with my CL550.

18. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    Rick: what brand and model # do you have on your garage?

19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I will look when I get home.

20. bosch88

bosch88 Rookie

May 31, 2006
    Sorry this is a very old thread... but my (new to me) 2010 California's Homelink won't accept programming... no matter how I how the home link buttons, it never goes into fast blinking mode... just stays slow blink... tried all the procedures on this forum and online and still cannot get the light to blink fast....

Clear the settlings by holding both outer buttons..
    Then hold one of the homelink buttons until it changes from solid green to slow flashing green, then push and hold and/or press and release the remote button... but the green light never turns to rapid blinking green.... tried many times..

Does the engine need to be on, not just ignition position 2? My other cars work... newer Chamberlain garage door opening with rolling code... trying to press the learn button on the opener itself and press and/or press and release the home link button, but NOTHING...

21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My homelink doesnt work reliably and also I need to be very close to my garage to make it work so I gave up on it.

I bought a liftmaster mini remote.
    I attached it using velcro to the plastic housing behind the rear view mirror.
    Issue solved, and it works great and works way before I'm even close to my garage.