Anyone use the wind screen on their Cali? | FerrariChat

Anyone use the wind screen on their Cali?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dohangs, Aug 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I was wondering if anyone uses their windscreen on their California routinely and if so, does it help? My car doesn't come with one so I am debating if I should get one. We will mostly be using it as our family convertible, so my son will be traveling in the back. I know it can't be used with a backseat passenger. Are all windscreens the same for a Cali or did it change with the Cali 30? I want to make sure I order the right one.
    Thanks again, I am trying to get as much info as I can before my car arrives. I can't wait for it to get here.

2. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    On my Cali T I use it all the time. I have no back passengers so it is permanently left in the car, even when the roof is up. It is very easy to remove and install though.

With the roof down and the door windows up (I don't put the quarter windows up when the roof is down), the wind is very subdued in the cabin. With the windows down it is still comfortable. Personally speaking I believe it does help.

Other guys on here will be able to provide guidance on if there is a difference between the Cali and the Cali 30 screens.

Congrats on your new car. Post photos when you get her. Enjoy !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I never use it. I don't even store it in the car.

4. Drldcohen

Drldcohen Rookie

Mar 20, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Larry
    I have not used it but maybe I should try it. I use my Cali as a DD. If I understand you there is no problem leaving it in place with the top use, correct. No one is ever in my back seat. I do travel on the open road for a couple hundred miles at a time every other month or so. My previous Sl's windscreen I found pretty much worthless.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    My car did not come with one, either, but I bought one anyway. I use it all the time. It does reduce the buffeting a bit, as does raising the rear windows. I just leave it in the car because I never use the rear seats and almost never drive with the roof closed anyway. It does rattle a little on bumpy roads, have not tried to chase that out.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My salesman gave me one for free when I bought my Cali30 and said it's really meant for occupants with long flowing hair. I normally drive my car with the roof and windows rolled down. My GF has medium length hair but she wears one of my caps and it hasn't been an issue. So I just keep my screen stored away in case someone needs it one day.

I seldom drive the highways but I think that's where the windscreen will be more helpful.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have never used it, nor even unpacked it. Then again, I don't have long flowing hair! 😀I wish I did!

I'd like it if Ferrari had a simpler gizmo like my wife's SLK. Think it's called an Air Guide. It tucks in behind the head rests, and you flip them out. Works a treat. Takes 5 seconds.
    [​IMG]
    T

8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Mine is always in place and a couple of times I tested it at very high speed in the motorway with the top down. Because there is no police around I can reveal that the maximum speed achieved with this set-up was 275 Km/h. Even at this speed the result it's impressive and there is very little wind turbulence inside the car…...

9. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Sounds like some use it and some don't. I guess I'll not be in a big rush to get one.

10. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    We use it all the time, simple install

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It makes a large difference at speeds over 45 mph. The only problem besides it taking some effort to install it, is that the mesh makes it harder to identify cars behind you with accuracy (the kind with red lights) until they get closer than I'd like. If you've seen the tops on Porsche 991s, they have a better system that automatically deploys at the touch of a button.

12. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I have a Cali T. My wife has long hair. She insists that I use the windscreen when the top is down because her hair whips around, even with a hat on. The windscreen is quite effective in reducing buffeting at speed in addition to permitting normal conversation. It does reduce but not eliminate access to the rear "seats" if you have a briefcase or something back there. I use it all the time.

13. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    +1

14. Quadbogey

Quadbogey Rookie

May 23, 2016
    Northern California
    I used mine all the time with the top down. It cut down on wind whipping inside the cabin not that it was that big of a problem anyway.