spend $5000 on a warranty? | FerrariChat

spend $5000 on a warranty?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Ferrari_CA, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari_CA

Ferrari_CA Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale FL
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    I'm buying a 2012 california with 16k miles. this is my first Ferrari. I have no idea what to expect as far as reliability. Do they have problems etc. So my question is do i need a $5000 a year Warranty?
    thanks
    Sal.

2. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Extended warranties, in many cases, are a complete waste of money.
    Be sure you read all the fine print. What is covered and more important.....what is not.
    $5K a year is absurd for any warranty. Are you planning to drive your F car every day?
    You need to post more details.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Check out similar threads in the California section - if this is the factory warranty you might feel happier

4. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I have never purchased an extended warranty. Some swear by them, others don't.

I have an 07 430 that was purchased with a year left of factory warranty. I still have it. No catastrophic repairs.

My GF and I bought a 2012 Italia in Feb with 1200 miles. We didn't get the extended warranty. I think it depends on mileage, number of owners, service records etc if you need the warranty or not.

My .02. Bank the 5K a year and pay for any problems that may occur.

5. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I'm probably the exception....I bought a 2008 F430 and went with the Ferrari Power warranty. Reason I did this is because if there is an issue, the Power warranty should cover it. I looked over the warranty paperwork and the coverage is pretty extensive and given the cost of repairs, I felt it was money well spent. But you have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision that fits you.

Keep in mind that the new Power warranty allows you to purchase this warranty up to 12 years from date of manufacture. Not to bad in my opinion.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    After running the numbers and probabilities, I decided against the extended warranty on my California. Problems are pretty rare.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^OP... I'd post this up in the Cali section. There's been several recent instances of sick Calis. User MDEL had a transmission problem, bad sensor, and he says it woulda been a 7K USD fix if he did not have warranty IIRC. Another user was quoted $35K for a new transmission (or was it gearbox?), but no followup details, so who knows. At any rate, posting there will improve your chances of getting your question in front of F-chatters who might be in a better position to answer your question especially for the Cali...T

8. Ferrari_CA

Ferrari_CA Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale FL
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    I'm buying a 2012 california with 16k miles. this is my first Ferrari. I have no idea what to expect as far as reliability. Do they have problems etc. So my question is do i need a $5000 a year Warranty?
    thanks
    Sal.

9. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I would, it'll give you a year to put some miles on the car and find any problems that could cost way more than 5k. I just bought a 2010 with a warranty and it's worth the peace of mind at every 8k shift.

10. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    YES!!! Buy the warranty. Bought my 2012 cali 3 months ago and dealer had to replace motor mounts ( $3,000.00) and transmission need to be replaced $25k. That's why I bought the warranty and will buy one each year. Worth the money

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    If you hesitate about needing or not an extended warranty please read my previous posts about a gearbox/transmission issue I had on my Cali. Cali's from 2009 to 2012 are more susceptible to gearbox issues fundamentally related with sensors failure. My Cali is being repaired right now under the extended warranty I have and the problem which was diagnosed by Ferrari factory is the failure of the gearbox main shaft sensor. I was told by my dealer that this repair cost is around 7000 Euros and in the case of a complete gearbox/transmission substitution can reach as much as 25000 Euros.

After this experience I always tell everyone "If you have a Ferrari and want to have a good sleep at night get an extended warranty"

12. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    When i bought my Cali, my dealer said these cars were bullet proof..After reading some of the horror stories on this site about the transmitions and tops, i picked up a warranty from Ferrari. Good luck

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #13 vjd3, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How risk adverse are you? Cue Clint Eastwood. "Do you feel lucky? Well, do you?"

It has more to do with your peace of mind. If the car you are buying has its (free) scheduled maintenance up to date there are dealers on FChat who are willing to discount the warranty, or if you're buying from a Ferrari dealer, they may be willing to negotiate as part of the purchase. When I bought an F430 the dealer split the cost of the extended warranty.

I think one of the dealers told me $4250 for the factory extended Power warranty which covers a lot of the very expensive things that can go wrong. That comes out to about $80 a week. Then I believe if there are no claims they will discount it a further $750 for the next year if you renew. Or, as others have said, you can put the $4250 aside and perhaps never need to tap it at all.

I extended my factory warranty two years, not because I'm terrified of an expensive failure, but because I'd rather just factor that into the price of ownership and enjoy the car. It's possible nothing will go wrong. It's also possible that a few small things can go bad and that can mount up very quickly, especially if they are having trouble figuring out the problem and the hourly clock is ticking.

Take a close look at the brochure (I attached it) to see what is covered. It's not as comprehensive as the original warranty, so something like a seat motor failing may not be included. But the big-ticket items -- engine, control units, gearbox, top assembly -- seem to be included. It's almost like insurance against a big disaster. There's a very small chance that my house will be involved in a flood but I still pay that premium every year, you know?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Ferrari_CA

Ferrari_CA Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale FL
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    I'm thinking it may be a good idea. I was driving it home today and the brakes are squeaking. I'm guessing that wouldn't be covered still has me worried. Pads are good. not sure why its squeaking. Not to happy about it.

15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Often, washing the car and rinsing the brakes well will stop the squeak. The brakes do not get the wheels dirty, which is a nice bonus, but they are prone to squeals when dirty. If that doesn't fix it, there's a procedure for some hard braking that might help ... do a quick search.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Squeaky brakes can often be resolved by performing 5-10 consecutive straight-line hard stops from whatever high speed limit your local roads will allow you. Find a long empty clear-sight section of road and stand on your brakes to the point of the ABS going off. This sort of squeaking can also occur with regular brakes with improperly bedded brakepads, or too much gentle braking.

Obviously, wear and tear items are not covered by warranty.

If you wash your brakes, do not use any chemicals or soap as they can damage the rotors - JUST USE WATER and MAKE SURE THE BRAKES ARE ALREADY COOLED-DOWN before you shock them with cold water.

17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    From warranty to brakes?

Buy a factory warranty, not from a warranty reseller. Your Cali should be totally trouble free. I'm on my third, but over 30,000 on the first, a bit less on the second, with fundamentally zero trouble. But I still recommend the warranty. It is simply part of owning a Ferrari. Otherwise just buy a Prius :D. Sorry, had to say it :)

18. Ferrari_CA

Ferrari_CA Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale FL
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    I went from warranty to brakes because i asked about the warranty before i picked it up yesterday. Driving it home was one of the best feeling in my life! Not only because i could afford this car finally but the ride is Amazing as you guys already know.

Got a little depressed listing to my brakes squeak. car it to beautiful to squeak.

19. Ferrari_CA

Ferrari_CA Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale FL
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    Thanks! will try both washing with water and braking hard! :) my 2nd day owning this car need to get out and drive it! Malibu here i come.

20. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    #20 JPA, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    The weather is beautiful today in Southern California, drive it under the california incline by the beach as you get into the 10 there is that tunnel ..you'll love the sound

21. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    On your Cali. Please post pictures. Don't worry about brakes. But are you kept up at night by potential problems? If you want some peace of mind, it's an option. I have a 12 Cali - bought from Ferrari of Houston. Came with warranty. I will renew when up - I have as you do I presume the included maintenance package. So I am betting with about 4K that there could be an item such as the transmission or roof issue that could dwarf that amount and would even me out. It all depends. If you will not wince if there is an item that could cost up to $10,000 and attribute it to the statistics of chance and go without. As other have suggested, mentally calculate 4000 per year against the possibilty of a large ticket item repair. Lastly I'm not sure it really factors in but if it has the warrantee continuously then the next buyer maybe will consider the car to be better maintained - I don't really know.

Sounds like you're already enjoying it but again post pictures. no pictures it didn't happen.

Drive it well.

Scotts

22. Ferrari_CA

Ferrari_CA Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale FL
    Full Name:
    Salvatore
    i was trying to post photos. i looked under my profile. i couldn't figure out how to do it.

23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    To post Photos procede that way:

If you move down the "Message"window you hace "Attach Files". There press "Manage Attachments". After "Select File" and finally "Upload".

24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Forgot to tell you that first you have to press underneath the Msg Window "Go Advanced"

25. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Don't you have to have a minimum number of posts before you can upload pictures? Or, is that send PMs?
    T