Michelin PSS K2 vs. regular | FerrariChat

Michelin PSS K2 vs. regular

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vjd3, Aug 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Any opinions? Can't seem to get the K2 spec tires and it's that time for my 2013 Cali 30.

Guy from the TireRack was going on and on this morning about how the non-K2 tire is better but he was obviously trying to make a sale on what he had in stock. My rears are about down to the wear bars and I don't really love the P-Zeros although I suppose I could just order those.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tire rack has the K2 on back order. The rears I think. Did he intimate when they might be in stock? I ordered a set, and have an estimated delivery date of September 10...T

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think if you have to then I would choose the non Ferrari spec MPSS over the P Zeros- I really don't like the standard Pirelli PZero tires!

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If my memory serves me right, I seem to recall reading on another forum about the K2 being of shallower tread depth than the regular tire. Given what the factory would prefer, this would seem to make sense. Thus what is "better" to one owner may not be "better" to another.

5. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    ^^
    If you come across the discussion again, I'd be appreciative if you would post the link. My dealer forgot to specify MPSS for my car, so i will be ordering them when the time comes to replace the PZeros. I've not heard that the K2s have shallower tread so I'm curious to learn more. Thanks.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sure thing.

Here's a discussion of a Michelin Ferrari K1 tire (not K2) on a BMW forum. Be aware the poster made a wording error saying "The "K1" spec starts out with less tread wear" when he actually meant "the K1 starts out with less tread DEPTH". More importantly, the K1 spec 285 (rear) tire measured 2.6 lbs lighter than the standard tire! Interesting thread.

Here's another partial explanation for the Michelin K1, K2...etc. specifications. I suspect k1 and K2 also refer to different tread compounds.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    My local dealer just located a set of K2s for me. They will go on tomorrow.

Curious, why would Ferrari want a shallower tread depth on a given tire?

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    More responsive tire... similar effect to track drivers shaving their tires.

Ferrari would only request a special spec in order to improve performance of their cars. They won't do it to improve tire wear or comfort. Most people do not drive their Fcars enough to warrant tread wear concerns over 4 years, the normal replacement cycle for road tires.

OTOH, track drivers don't care because they use other, even more aggressive track-oriented tires anyway.

9. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Thanks for sharing the links. Very interesting to learn about the differences. I'm going to have to think about the tradeoff and whether I would value more mileage or the incremental difference in performance, since most of my driving is under normal street usage conditions.