What are the front/back incline angles of California? | FerrariChat

What are the front/back incline angles of California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by PhilFrance, Aug 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilFrance

PhilFrance Rookie

May 30, 2016
    France
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #1 PhilFrance, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Folks,

I'm in last stages of purchasing my first Ferrari California (2009) and am trying to determine if the California will bottom out going into my garage as its on an incline. Ive searched everywhere on Google and Ferrari/FerrariChat to find out what the "attack" angles on the front and back of the California are to determine if it will bottom out -but without success. Ive attached an image of the two angles I'll need to cross over with the car, both having a +/-13º degree angle.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    Phil
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Refine your search to angles of approach and departure, and breakover, words more commonly used for this than angle of attack. Maybe that will yeild better results. Hth.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 4th_gear, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Personally-speaking, I would just correct the sharp transitions at the bottom and at the top of the ramp. The ramp is compromised and will cause problems with many cars, not just the Cali. I've attached a scaled simulation of the situation that you have, using a scaled model of the car.

As you can see, the A1 / A2 clearance is the worst problem. The California does not have a long front overhang but clearly 13° does not give you much clearance if there is any compression of the suspension/tires as you hit the bottom of the ramp, going down or backing up. The other concern comes from B1, B2, B3 and B4 as the car crests over the top of the ramp. Again, your biggest worry is if you go over the transition at any speed that causes suspension/tire compression, which can result in contact between the ramp and the undercarriage or the front splitter.

You can zag-zig the car to create lower angles to the ramp but your ramp is narrow and I personally would not want to attempt that on a regular basis as a misstep might result in other problems.

My simulation is pretty accurate to scale but there will always be differences when accounting for compression of the suspension and any irregularities on your ramp as well as measurement error(s).

IMO, this looks too close to chance and you are better off correcting the driveway ramp if you can. This sort of situation is quite common in Europe and with some of the new compromises they use for urban homes everywhere. See if you can level out the lower transition and round off the top transition. Make sure the people doing the work are experienced. Fix the ramp properly and your choices of cars open up dramatically and you no longer have to worry every time you use the driveway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. PhilFrance

PhilFrance Rookie

May 30, 2016
    France
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Wow-thanks for this. Appreciate all your efforts in a response! Im clearly going to contact a company that can help reduce the ramp transitions.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good luck and let us know how you make out! ;)

6. sekorkor

sekorkor Rookie

Sep 11, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Impressive 4th_gear!

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks! I thought it was interesting and fun to do... always wondered how much clearance my car would theoretically need. ;)

8. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    We need you in Washington -- maybe you could "fix" some things there too! :)

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's a bit of a tall order for anyone... but hey, we can at least try, right? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for our great neighbours! ;)