Buying a New California - 3 Questions??? | FerrariChat

Buying a New California - 3 Questions???

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Rockman1, Sep 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rockman1

Rockman1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    FerrariChat has consistently been an amazing resource - so always appreciate everyone's thoughts, comments, suggestions and input. I purchased a 2007 430 about 4 years ago (red/tan to start). Have put 11K miles on it and loved every minute of it. Kind of a 2nd/3rd car for my wife and me. Problems/issues have been negligible (although some of those buttons are starting to get a little bit sticky).

Recently my boss told me that my DD (an Infiniti G37) was a P.O.S. and I needed to buy a real car. So have been thinking about three options: Maserati GT convertible, AMG GT S, and then my wife suggested a Ferrari California (which I didn't realize was a 2+2 and intended to be more of a GT than a roadster).

I test drove the Maserati yesterday and was pretty disappointed. I had watched 20 youtube videos on the car, and it sounded better on the my computer than in person. The car was soooo heavy, and while it looked good, some of the interior components were not so well made (i.e., plastic).

Today, I test drove a 2012 California (with 8K miles) and it was - completely amazing!!! The car looks great (used to think it had a Kardashian sized butt, but I am over that now somehow). Very comfortable drive with plenty of amenities. Plenty of power - but the ride is noticeably different from the much more guttural 430. Very smooth, seamless shifting, and much more in the spirit of a GT - really what I was hoping / expecting from the Maserati.

So I am pretty much sold. Will try out the AMG GT tomorrow, but can't imagine what that ride would need to be like to make it a more compelling drive (maybe if an SI swimsuit model were sitting in the passenger seat?)

So - questions are threefold. (1) Any other cars that I should put in the line-up before making the purchase? (2) 430 has been great, but we put 2K - 3K / year on it. The California will be a daily driver plus some rides on weekends -- so call it 10K per year. Is this an appropriate car for that amount of usage? (3) Are there any particular year(s) / problems that I should be aware of?

The dealer (who sold us the 430) said they would throw in a one year powertrain warranty, which I think would be nice given that I am stepping up the annual mileage from 2K to 10K. I have seen some threads related to transmission issues (with a couple mentions of 2012s in particular). So maybe saves my bacon in the first year. After that, pretty much rolling the dice.

Probably will go ahead with the purchase. So speak now or forever hold your piece!!!

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I did about 7000 miles on my California the first year (no winter driving), it's very do-able. I find I drive it much more than I did my former 430. Since you already own a 430 you are aware of the some of the challenges of driving a Ferrari daily ... parking, the attention it draws, all of which are greatly multiplied in the 430, the California is much more under the radar, especially if it is not red. Nonetheless, I can't imagine tossing the keys to the valet, something I would do occasionally with my 911s.

I would check the pricing and see how much of a delta it is to step up to a 2013 or 2014 California 30 ... the extra power and lower weight is a nice thing to have, although I liked the 2009-2012 cars a lot too. Options can matter too ... MagneRide is a nice thing to have, among others.

You can always renew the year-to-year warranty with Ferrari as you go along. And the services should be free till 2019 on a 2012.

You could try a Porsche 991 Turbo cabriolet, it is extremely powerful, comfortable and dead reliable. Noticeably faster than the Cali. But although I daily drove 911s for more than 20 years, driving the Turbo back to back with my Cali 30, I kept the Cali. It was just a little too perfect and very quiet compared to the Ferrari.

3. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Ask whether it's a Power warranty or power train. Big difference. Magnaride, AFS lights and for a daily driver home link and cruise control are nice. Agree with 911 turbo S assessment. Drive the AMG. Easier to use in the real world and more towards the 911. I vote for the Cali.

I have a Maserati GTS F1 and I agree about your impression but having a 430 6mt and the Maserati made it easy to take my wife with kids in the back. The Cali is a little tight for all and it's her or them. Lastly try the MC stradale version of the MC centennial and see if you have a difference in impression. Yes the build quality is not Ferrari but my spec is well done useable and very close to my Ferraris with more space.
    Good luck

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I put over 20,000 miles on my first Cali, a 2010, the first year. I'm on my third Cali (a 2016 T now with 14,000 miles :D). I drove them all year in NW Ohio, snow, salt, whatever. It is a wonderful, trouble free car. In snow you need SottoZero tires.

I've been a Porsche Club of America member over 30 years and Porsche makes nothing close to the California (nor the FF!). My wife has a Cayenne Turbo which sounds great and is powerful. However, modern Porsche has decided to replace every rotary knob with individual buttons. It is button city in Porsche's today, a pain in the butt to learn. They also do little things for you like turning the radio volume up a little upon startup if you had it muted upon shutdown. That one feature REALLY irks me.

Ferrari has done most everything right in the Cali and newer cars. And if your ego is as big as mine the Cali is the only choice, you will get tons of attention. :D

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Where is your boss coming from on this? What kind of car does he drive? Just curious. Are you going to need to take out clients? The Cali 2+2 is probably more ideal than a roadster.

6. Quadbogey

Quadbogey Rookie

May 23, 2016
    Northern California
    Cali will make a good DD but if you really expect to put 4 people in it you should really look at a used FF. Prices have come down on those.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Agreed. Back seats in the Cali are useless for anything larger than lap dogs and small children. If you're gonna use it for clients, I'd also advise getting a more GT color like gray, silver, black, etc.
    T
    BTW, my "boss" told me to get a Cali. But, in my case, boss = wife. 😉

8. Rockman1

Rockman1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts and responses. I definitely appreciate it.

My boss is a car guy and was somewhat facetiously making a case for me to upgrade the DD. The other "boss" is on board with it too, so that will make it easy.

Not to be used for clients or anything like that. I took a look at the back seats - and I guess you could use them for packages or maybe a small person in a pinch, but that is really not the expectation.

Probably will do the back and forth with the dealer this week. Was looking through my notes when buying the 430 - anything special on the Cali checklist to ask for (2 keys, manual, trickle charger, cover, etc.)? I remember on the 430, the flashlight was missing and I forgot to ask for that, so had to buy one for $100 aftermarket. Just wondered if there was anything special in the Cali I should keep in mind (think it has a windscreen?)

Hopefully can wrap it up this week and be on the road by next weekend.

Thanks again!!!

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive put a stripper or two back there...

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

🤔 I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that my wife wouldn't approve of that experiment.

Of course, if you had an FF you might be able to fit a half dozen back there. 😉
    T

11. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    This conversation has gone south.

Back to cars. You might want to check out an Aston Martin DB9. I fell its in the same class. great car.

I personal bought a California T 2015. I wanted the newest technology, the turbo engine, aerodynamics etc.

I love driving it. The back seats are a joke. A bag. A person under 5'2".

I drive mine as much as I can. No issues.

I have had no issues with the car at all and I have 5500 miles this year.

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Good, slacker, I've had my T about 11 months and it has 14,000 miles :). Just kidding of course, 5,500 miles in a year with a T is probably way above what most Ferrari owners drive. I too have had no issues other than wearing out rear tires :D. And I drive it in the snow too (with SottoZeros)

13. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I already have winter storage arranged for my Ferrari, but I'm thinking of cancelling it, just to see if I can catch you on mileage. :)

While I can afford to buy a FF for winter time, I could never get my wife to agree to another Ferrari. I'm new to Ferrari and I love to drive it. I think in the winter, I might not be able to drive it the way a Ferrari is meant to be driven (unless it was an FF). I hope the winter break will make the heart grow fonder. For now I will park it in Oct, and bring it out in April.

And yes I am jealous you can drive yours in the winter time. :)

14. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    disclosure - I've owned 458, 458 Speciale, FF (2), and an F12

For us, the Cali never fit into our plan (or garage). We have two kids (eg. FF), drive all year (eg. FF), and while my life says she likes open top cars, our old BMW convertible rarely had the top down...our dealer is always trying to get her/us to try a Cali, but never fit.

Having said that, the Cali is a great car. A few thoughts....

The used Cali market has plenty of inventory. IF you're going to get a Ferrari, get the one (color, spec) that you really want. Plenty of good experience here from the Cali owners on what works/is needed.

The Cali 30 is just a better car. Period. The basis for going to a pre-Cali 30 would for me be primarily an economic one.

Biggest driver for us in considering a Cali would be the open (non-targa) roof and hardtop. Having said that, if you're living in the OC and will drive top down mostly, that matters. If in reality you're going to do that occasionally, that might point you in a different direction.

If you want to go Ferrari GT, check out FF's. The V12 is intoxicating. The car drives like a big(er) coupe, it's not a 430 or 458 obviously, but it drives, handles, corners, rides and brakes phenomenally. The rear seats ARE usable, and it has good (practical) cargo space as a DD. Also, plenty of good deals out there for FF's. And it's a V12.....

Gearbox issues? Early cars seemed more susceptible, plenty of high-panic threads on here. 2012+ seemed to have fewer (down to "normal"?) DCT issues. The top mechanism is what I'd worry about from a warranty angle, but again, defer to those here who have owned one.

15. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Remember to watch for a set of wheels for sale. I have a set of 19" OEM wheels that I bought here in FChat from a woman in Texas (I think) that bought new wheels. My summer's are 20" with PZero's. To demonstrate the difference with SottoZero's, imagine driving your PZero's or Michelin's over a rain covered large white stripe at an intersection and realize how slippery that is ... with SottoZero's you would think the road was dry. I often get to the office in the winter and have to ask my employees if it is slippery, even though the roads are covered with ice.

You do need to watch for those LARGE hunks of ice & snow that drop off of everything. My garage is heated so it all melts overnight. There are others that recommend no heat so the wet ice & salt don't invade the car but I don't care. I do rinse the car off every day with deionized water so it dries spot free and I only wash it at most once a week even with daily driving. The only trouble with driving a Ferrari in the winter is :D the lack of a heated steering wheel :D. Be sure to follow the suggestions from Todd Cooperider www.esotericdetail.com on how to wash it without putting swirl marks on it :)

16. MBi

MBi Rookie

May 9, 2016
    New York
    Friend has 2014 GTS Convertible and 2012 California. He prefers the 2014 GTS to the California for daily obviously due to the ride comfort and true 4 seater. Though the interior quality as you stated is very far apart and the GTS has hopelessly outdated tech. The 2012 California has a backup camera option while the 2014 GTS has no such option and it is a large car, though you do have parking sensors. If your going used I suggest and 2012/2013 later GTS Convertible. Also the new models can be had sitting at dealers for up to 35K off MSRP before negotiating. The bose in the GTS is poor with no better option available direct from Maserati. If you go GTS simply on price GET THE WHEEL AND TIRE WARRANTY! The P Zero's on 20's with pot holes will be eaten through quickly from the pot holes.

Michelin PSS he prefers to the original P Zeros for both cars. I suggest 2013+ California and get the extended warranty. His transmission went 60 days out of warranty and is still waiting for Ferrari response to good faith letter for possibility of discounted repair after almost a month and a half. No updates either from service who claimed it would take usually two weeks for a response. Car had been in for possible gearbox issues before warranty expired, but no issues when dealer saw it. A proper detail and full Paint Protection film will save you in case anyone tries to key the car or even simple bird poop. No more worrying.

Other option is a FF with a extended warranty like someone else stated. You have some practicality and a comfortable 4 seater which can now be had at a deep discount. With later years you can have Panoramic sun roof which really helps at least when I went inside one while waiting at the dealer to have the California brought out after service. Just don't go into 5th in the winter or rough weather.

17. Rockman1

Rockman1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    MBi - Thanks so much. Those are some helpful comments. Agree with all of your points on the Maserati GT - honestly when comparing side by side with the 2012 Cali, it didn't feel like you were getting nearly as much car for the money. Maybe that's why they are knocking $35K off the MSRP (I've got to negotiate harder!!!). The back two seats are really not that big an issue - would probably use them 5 times a year, if that, and there's always a workaround (so FF probably not a good fit). Though I think it is a nicety to have a little space back there. And I'm sure the Cali would put a much bigger smile on my face every day.

There do appear to be a pretty decent number of clean, low mileage Calis for sale - private sellers and dealers, and the market seems to be pretty well defined in terms of price. The one I drove was a 2012, from a dealer we have worked with before (and who fixed a minor problem early on with the 430 for free - so seems to stand by their cars), and is optioned pretty much exactly the way I like it.

2013s seem to be about $10K more, but I guess you get the 30 / 30 - which is nice, though I think the 2012 would be more than enough car for me. 2014s seem like they are about $25K more - I guess you get a year left in the warranty in addition to the 30 / 30. I think dealer said they would throw in one year warranty for engine and transmission for free. So inclined to pocket the difference. Worst case - day 366 -- gearbox ($30K) goes and canopy ($20K ?) doesn't work - $25K in savings versus a 2014would take care of half the repair costs. So unless 2013 / 2014 is dramatically different car, think I would roll the dice and go with the 2012.

The Paint Protection film is great - we put in on the hood and fenders of the 430. It still looks nice and I'm sure has protected the paint job from a few chips. Given that this would be a DD, I'm inclined to do a 100% wrap of the car. This car is black, and I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't apply a quick detailer to that color paint for some reason. Have used in on the red 430 with no problems, but wondered if there was something special about Ferrari / Cali black paint that I should be careful of - I guess what else should I use? Or maybe the paint protection film would make that a non-issue?

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and posts.

18. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I wrapped 100% of my California T

19. Rockman1

Rockman1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Ok. Thanks to everyone for your help. Closed the deal today. Will pick up next Wednesday - so only five sleepless nights. Going to clearbra the crap out of this car and then drive it until it stops or the costs of upkeep become prohibitively expensive.

Got a 12 month warranty so I know I have at least a little peace of mind.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Congrats. Great plan - drive the heck out of it. Can't wait to see pics...T