California Haters | FerrariChat

California Haters

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BillyD, Sep 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Just read another review of the new California T where the author(Automobile Magazine) writes how much better the styling and car the new T is over the original. I can't hardly tell the difference in looks between the two. Is it my old eyes or what?

2. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    #2 BentleyC, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    What I have learned is each reporter simply says the same thing the prior report states.

The lines are a little different (tail pipes stacked vs side-by-side, roof vents going in vs out, I think the rear fends are little smoother on T.

If you want a GT, Convertible Ferrari you get a California.

I love driving my California.

I wonder how many people can actually drive this car to it's potential. I can't, but its still a blast.

4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I happen to keep many of the car magazines from the time when the California was launched and I just retrieved some of the more notorious and transcribed below short extracts of the texts they've publish on the subject of the looks of the California when it was launched. You can see there are opinions for every taste, even the one of a vehicle design professor who got short of adjectives to criticize the work of Pininfarina on the California.

When comparing the California and the California T I confess I prefer the classic look of the California nose and, despite of the fact that I really like her vertical stacked exhausts, I can spot a better overall design harmony on the California T rear. In fact both cars look very good and each one has t's strong and weaker aesthetical points.

TOP GEAR -June 2008 :"Up front it's a classic Ferrari nose, and absolutely none the worst for it. The lines are taut and strong. Behind the front wheels, a set of exit vents feed back into a through through the doors. The base of that through mutates into a line that kicks up at the back of the doors, and defines the rear wings. I like that idea because it echoes some of the 1960s Ferrari roadsters…..."

AUTOCAR - June 2008 : "From the front it is modern but also has the delicacy of classic Ferrari America models of the 50's. Instinctively, you expect a Ferrari to have large, glassy headlamps, wings raised above the bonnet and a large, oval grille……….Unlike the nose, the rear of the California looks hi-tech and aggressively modern. The all rear end - notably the exhaust arrangements and hidden running lights- is more than a nod to the 330 P4 race car of 1967, according to Ferrari insiders."

EVO - July 2008 : opinion of Peter Stevens, Professor Vehicle Design " It's a strange mix of TVR and Lexus, while that line down it's flanks is staggeringly bad. Just because it's red and has that badge we shouldn't excuse it. It's just not good enough"

AUTOMOBILE - October 2008 "Conceptually and visually the 2009 California leaps back in time to the year 1957….looks overstayed from certain angles and uses rather too many lines, curves, and controversial details such as the low-mounted rear brake light and indicator assembly"

5. Rockman1

Rockman1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Funny. I just bought a 2012 California today. Bought a 2007 430 in 2012 and remember thinking that the Cali was ugly with a big butt and was a "girl's car". Well my view has definitely changed since then. Maybe the test drive, maybe the creature comforts, maybe Amy Schumer, or maybe I'm just getting older.

But can't wait to take delivery this coming week!!!!

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Well said. I admit, somewhat sheepishly, that I spend a majority of my time in automatic mode, either normal or sport, and even 26th that, it's just a joy to drive. The sound when you hit the gas is unlike any car I've owned. 4 months and 4,000 miles into the Cali ownership experience, the wife still giggles every time the Cali pops and burbles. The butt of the car? The nose? The tail pipes? I can't see those from the driver's seat. But, I can hear that exhaust! 😀 And, with the new MPSS tires, it handles like a dream. I can't wait for the weather to cool, so we can spend more time driving it with the top down...T

7. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I was the same way when I bought my 430 spider a few years ago. I wasnt into the overall appearance of the California. Over time , the look has grown on me to where I think it looks great. The problem I had was I Didn't categorize the California as a GT. I put it In a Ferrari category. Step ahead a few years and I now realize what the car was meant to be. It's a GT convertible. I am now able to have different cars for different driving occasions. I have a 2013 Lamborghini Performante as the extreme looking, in your face loud, all out race car and the California, a classy, great looking, loud when you want it , fast enough , smooth shifting GT.

8. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Agreed. I'm also a fan of the original hood...

Erik