Better Value - Cali or F430 | FerrariChat

Better Value - Cali or F430

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mike_747, Sep 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Wondering what the general thoughts are considering say a 2010 Cali Vs. a 2006 F430 in retaining their value going forward? I'm considering an 2006 F430 with 20K mi for $115k or a 2010 Cali with 10k miles for $130K. Anyone know the build quantities of each?

thanks

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Two Very different animals, if the 430 isn't a Spider VERY different.
    But IMHO the Cali is listed high at this point, and are still dropping. The nice 430s have been stable for 3 years now and counting.
    Cheers

3. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Yes, the 430 is a Coupe, so I realize they are two different animals. Both CPO cars so will come with a one year warranty.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think you have to consider what you're likely to do with the car. Are you looking for a sports car, GT or both? I wanted my Ferrari to be a GT that both my wife and I can enjoy drives in the country with the top down. Therefore, I went with newer car with fewer miles, an '11 Cali. Resale value was not a priority for me.

If I wanted a sports car with occasional track usage, I'd probably get an F430 or 360 in the price ranges you quoted.

If it was a mixed usage scenario- track, GT, road trips, DD, etc. I would go for the Cali.

If the top consideration is value retention, then likely the F430 since the Cali has more depreciation to go, being newer.

Good luck in the hunt...T

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    How many miles will you put on these cars before you would sell?

6. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Probably 8-10k miles plus or minus.

7. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I agree with Tom, it will depend on what you are looking for. I had a 430 spider and loved it. I love my Cali even more. I was looking for a GT though not a pure sports car. If you want a great GT you can go to dinner with the wife and cruise around town and open it up when you have the urge, then the Cali is for you. More comfortable, better electronics, smoother DCT. If you want more of a pure sports car, I'd go with the 430. The values on 430's have, for the most part, become stable. The Cali is slowly approaching it but has a little more to go in my opinion. Drive both if you can and then make up your mind. You'll know right away after your test drive. Good luck and post back with your decision!

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Quickly eyeballing F430's on cars.com, it seems that the delta between 30K mile and 20K mile cars is about $20 K or so...T

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    unless you care about comfort, 430 all day, every day.

10. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I assume your are talking about ride quality - right? I've driven an F430 on horrible downtown streets of Seattle and it had numerous rattles - this was a coupe. Roads are much smoother where I live, 30 miles north of Seattle so I could live with the F430's suspension. Probably only slightly stiffer than my old F355 spider. Or maybe not?

11. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Great point to consider if your buying used.

12. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I recently got Michael Sheen to agree with me about the price of the F430 I'm looking at.

And this from another Ferrari salesman. I felt that at $120k the F430 I was considering was at least $10k overpriced and he agreed with me. This car has 21,000 miles, but well optioned.

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh - the 430 is a ton of fun and will make you grin whether you are at 30 or 130 mph. The cali is more refined and more of a GT so depends what you are looking to do with it. Cali is more usable and practical - dohangs is spot on.

14. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    agree with the above. I rented a Cali for a couple days and own a F430... F430 is much better to drive but the Cali is better day to day car.

f430 suspension is quite rough and seats are not as comfortable as Cali, no cruise control, less sound deadening, exhaust much louder (even valve closed). But much more fun on a twisty road.

15. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Sep 2, 2016
    Utah
    As many have said, it really depends on what YOU want. There is no right or wrong answer. If it's helpful, I recently just bought a Cali, but before I did I really thought I wanted a 430. I'm very happy I went with the Cali. So much fun.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I also test drove a F430 convertible as well as other cars before considering and eventually ordering a Cali30. I find the F430 is too noisy and uncomfortable for my long drives. It's also not that interesting when driven below 4000 rpm so it's very focused and not anywhere as versatile as my car. Maybe it's just me but the F430 interior also feels decidedly dated. If I were to buy an F430 it would be a stick shift convertible.

The OP appears more interested in future values so maybe he is looking to flip his next car after owning it for a year or two. I'm different, I tend to spend time researching the technical qualities and do test drives to find a car I want to keep. I don't flip cars. I have ordered another car but it's to complement my Cali30, not to replace it. It will be very different from my Cali30 ...and the F430.

17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    re your question about retaining price. Both will continue to decline imho. Cali by a bit more over the next few years as its younger and thus on the steeper part of its depreciation curve.

18. JMC126

JMC126 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Santa Cruz
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #18 JMC126, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a 2006 430 for 3 years - felt like a race a car, drove like a race car, looked like a race car. I have a 2016 Cali T - great touring car, top down, can drive it as a daily driver. Both of your cars seem about right for price - just different cars for different needs. But I would remind yourself, be prepared to maintain the 430 or the Cali at 2010. Both cars can have issues. The costly one for me was cracked headers and having to have the actuator remade. Both issues that cost 5-10k a piece depending on which road that you take. My car only had 11k miles on it. Bought it in 2012 as a 3rd owner car. Would have been upset, but I bought the car from my best friend who sold it to me at the wholesale price so in the end it was a wash. For piece of mind - would recommend that you get them to add in 1-2 years of warranty rather than fight on the price. In the end you will be happy in either car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Both cars are CPO so they will come with a 1 year warranty. On the 2007 F430 Ferrari will only sell extended warranties out to 12 years from new, so I could buy a couple of extra years of warranty.

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think given the mileage, the driving you plan to do, etc, I can see why you asked as you are really close. I think Arizonaitalian makes a good point that the Cali will likely depreciate more but these cars tend to get hammered with mileage and I wonder if the Californias have gone to people who will put more miles on them and thus, higher mileage California will not seem so strange to the market. OTOH, the F430 is also priced fairly and likely won't depreciate as much but probably has a few more maintenance dollars associated with it. So its really close.

So I think it really does come down to which one will make you happiest. They are both great cars, just different.

21. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I may drive the Cali this Friday. It just had the airbag recall completed.
    I'm still having a problem in that the Cali doesn't really look like an exotic from certain angles, whereas the F430 instantly does from any angle.

I may change my mind when I see the car in person. I printed out the HP & torque curves and I can see where it would be a dead heat. Both cars probably get to 100mph within .10 second of each other.

The big plus on the Cali's side is the removable hard top and no clutch friction material to replace. I should compare it to an F430 spider which would be a closer match. But alas, my dealer doesn't have an F430 spider in stock, just the Berlinetta.

22. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    #22 mike_747, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    You can make a Cali look more sporty by lowering it an inch and getting some spacers. If you get slightly bigger wheels they will also make it look more sporty as well.

24. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Californias look much better in person in the flesh.

25. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I agree the Cali looks much better in person, especially if lowered a tad.
    I think the F430 is a better investment if you are just going to buy and put it in the garage.
    If you want to get some use out of it then the Cali is the better choice hands down.
    I just went thru this exercise and picked a Cali over the F430 for usefulness and ease of use.
    I sold my 308 as it was just too dam small. When I drove the F430, tho it was bigger it was still like driving a race car. Great for those rare drives but not useful for running to the store, driving around town, etc. The Cali is faster, bigger inside, easier to drive, has a solid roof and is a convertible, good on trips, etc.
    just my .02 of course