Cali Questions | FerrariChat

Cali Questions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mike_747, Sep 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Are the sticky switches a thing of the past with regards to the Cali?

Also with regards to the top, what are the primary issues in the early , say 2010 cars?

What is the typical cost of repairs for the top mechanism?

thanks

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The switches can still get sticky ... I have not had any problems, I wonder sometimes if it's about the user's body chemistry. I run a guitar business, and there are some guys who will go through a set of strings in a couple hours, they get all nasty and corroded, even if they wipe the guitar down afterwards, and other guys (myself included) can play 5-6 shows without any visible signs of wear on the strings. I've never wiped down a guitar after playing it. But I digress ... lol

I don't think much has changed in the top mechanism between 2009 and the present day, I think the top is the one piece they did not make any changes to when the Cali T came out. I had a problem with a sensor that took several attempts to repair, but it was warranty so I have no idea what it might have cost otherwise. However, since it is a Ferrari, the labor/diagnostic rate is high, and the parts will not be cheap.

A quick look at Ricambi shows four hydraulic pistons at either $1575 or $1750 USD. The hydraulic pump, god forbid that should go, is $9000 and the "hydraulic group" is $12000. None of that counts labor. Leaky pumps can sometimes be rebuilt or used parts from a wrecked car can be sourced. Now, if a piston fails and the actual roof assembly is bent or damaged, I'm sure that would be terrifying.

However, Webasto makes the roof and they make a similar one for BMW and Mercedes. You don't hear too many horror stories. But it does make the case that the factory warranty could potentially be a nice thing to have. It's not like the top on a 355 where you can just convert it to manual use if it breaks.

3. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I think you are on to something with the body chemistry.
    Also, climate has a lot to do with it I think. Up here in the northwest where it is cool and cloudy most of the time even the older cars like my 95 F355 switches are ok and not that sticky at all.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think my reverse button is starting to get sticky. I've not noticed it on any of the other buttons, but to be honest apart from the Start button, I don't futz around with many buttons while I'm driving. 😀

There have been a few recent sobering threads on DCT woes. How common they are overall, I don't think anyone knows, but if you "win" the lottery, it can get $$$. I think the best advice is to assess your risk tolerance and either safe a few bucks towards possible repairs, remote though they might be, or buy an extended warranty.

T

5. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    The car I'm thinking about is a 2010 with 10,000 miles. It would be a CPO car so it will come with one year warranty from the dealer, but I think you are right - it would be wise to purchase additional coverage. Ferrari will warranty a car for 12 years max from new, so I could buy another 5 years worth if I felt I was going to keep it that long.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Sounds great. I've had my '11 for almost 5 months and have out 2500 miles on it. Love it. I plan on doing the extended warranty. There's a recent thread on the topic. Hope it works out for you...T