Trade R8 for California? | FerrariChat

Trade R8 for California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ak_in_ca, Sep 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Rookie

May 15, 2015
    So I've owned my R8 now for about 5 months, it's a 2014 V10 with every option possible. I've spent quite a bit getting her where I wanted her and she's a freaking blast to drive. Only problem is, I use the car for weekends away with the wife and the R8 has zero storage space to do real trips in. An absolutely gorgeous 2013 California in Grigio with black and red interior came available at my dealer and I'm seriously considering trading in my R8. I've always loved the F cars and Italia but feel ill be in the same boat with usability, not being able to go shopping, take golf clubs etc.... Anything I should look for or opinions from Cali owners would be greatly appreciated. I'm headed down Saturday morning to check it out.

2. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    If your looking for a car that is more usable the Cali is defiantly not that. But I think the driving experience will be a let down for you.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not very credible or helpful comments from a guy who according to his profile, does own not own a Cali or even any Fcar, does not own an R8 and does not care to mention any "cars" he owns aside from a Ford pickup truck.

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Try an FF or 599. V12 power and sound. Endless torque. Completely usable. Modern amenities in the FF. Traditional look in the 599. Your choice.

You'll be smitten.

SV

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 4th_gear, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I suggest you bring your golf bag along for the test drive. Aside from using the back seats, there is also a dual panel pass-thru which can be released from pulling a tab in the trunk for each panel (see photo).

I suggest you drive the car roof-down. A Cali30 with HS Pack would be better. Get the revs up and manual shift in SPORT mode to assess the car for spirited driving. Then downshift from 3 to 2 to 1st gear as you brake to a stop or just take off 1-2-3rd gear in a spirited manner in auto while in COMFORT mode when you want to just cruise about.

The rest is up to you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I loved my Cali(s) '10 & '15 for what they were... much better than my previous Porsches from an excitement & utilitarian point of view. Having the room in the back helps a great deal on occasion. I have never driven an R8 but I used to have a V10 S8. The V10 was an awesome engine in the car, nothing like it, it was muscle car like, different than the Porsches and Ferraris I've had. I'm thinking that engine in a coupe must be really awesome.
    Obviously you really need to drive the Cali. But for me I am very happy I made the switch , luckily I have not had any instance of an outrageous repair bill, maybe my feelings will change when that happens, but for now I am loving my Ferrari ownership, happy I made the move.
    Good luck

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I have a California T 2015. I take it on weekend trips a lot. It hold very little. two bags in back and bags behind the seats.

It's a blast to drive. We often drive during the day with the top up (too hot) drive mornings and evenings with the top down. The car is looks great with the top up or down.

The 2013 is not the new turbo engine. I actually want the new turbo engine. I can't comment on how the 2013 drives.

What do you need for features: I would say magneride is the only important feature. Everything else is really a preference look and feel. Every option adds to the cost.

8. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Rookie

May 15, 2015
    The one I'm looking at is a Cali 30. I saw a guy at Pelican Hill taking his clubs out of the back, so I figured it could be done. I appreciate the responses so far, thank you

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    That's a strange comment to me. I think of the Cali as having more than average room for a sports/GT car, compared to any of the Porsche 911/cayman/boxster and the Audi R8, and on and on. (those are the cars I compare it to, perhaps along with Maser GT spider)

Like the OP, I've considered the R8, but my GT/Spider needs to have room for 2 small carryon size suitcases (20-22") because one of its primary missions is weekends away with the GF. I was thinking Cali has the utility to do that in its "class"?

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have a Cali and Ive taken it on trips with my GF and we managed to fit all the bags we needed for an entire week

11. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #11 GNALUZU, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Braces

Braces Karting

Mar 24, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Hey Mr. Alaska to Ca. Remember me from R8Talk? I'm from Alaska also.

Keep the R8 and ship your clubs. Much easier that way. You could also place the clubs in the passenger seat. The California is more of a GT car if that's what you want.

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I don't place any substance in "sports car" or "GT" labels aside from some performance cars having more storage room or utility than other cars. There is a lot of overlap with respect to performance between those so-called categories. The most important substance regarding performance is really how the cars make YOU feel when you drive them.

Do multiple test drives on different days and hopefully have someone along who really knows how to get the most out of those cars.

14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I own a Califórnia 2010 and I've driven the Audi R8 coupe 2015 and in my opinion they are two completely different cars. In the Audi everything is very well engineered as expected, the car is very powerful as well and you really can't point any down-side to it apart from may be the brakes and the reduced visibility. However when I compare the Audi with the California side by side, I see two coupes and one of them that transforms into a convertible different car in just 14 seconds. Only this difference places both cars uses and versatility on opposite extremes.
    Apart from that I feel the California has better charisma and style and a sound I enjoy much more and from what I remember the Cali's boot is more spacious and you have the two rear seats.

15. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    I have a Cal30 -- love it as a weekend drive/golf car, but often take my wife's 911 Targa GTS instead as a little better on long trips, with fewer concerns about parking/poor roads. Longest trip was about 5 days driving all over Nova Scotia (from south of Boston). But we do use the California for golf trips locally, and I've done some great day and overnight trips to the Cape or Vermont with plenty of room and no issues on our crappy NE roads. With the California, I find that I can easily fit 2 sets of clubs across the rear seat, roof up or down, and my wife's golf cart in the trunk. I'd guess we could fit 2 golf carts in the trunk if needed. I have also fit 2 men's golf sets through the trunk into the back seat, both with the roof up and down -- it was tight but fit, with some room either side of the clubs for a small clothing bag. Never driven an R8 but I must say I love the noises and tight handling of the Cal30 HS. I'd say it'd work for your purposes!

16. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Maserati GT huge trunk
    Aston Martin DB9 huge trunk

I take trips all the time and the California T limits what we can carry. It's tight. The lid takes up a lot of room.

I would try fitting some bags and see how it goes. We like to have a cooler for picnic. What small cooler fits? Travel bags, we can't use our standard roll-ons. What about a couple tennis racquets?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't drive the California. I love to drive it. We just pack a little lighter.

If you have not seen the trunk with top down, you need to see the space.

17. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    You can get stuff in the California. But if someone does not know the car. Notice the left picture. The top cannot be put down in this photo. You have one roller bag and one back pack. Not loaded.

I love driving the California. We pack accordingly. But I would not call it a large trunk space.

18. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Fitted luggage = problems solved. It will cost you though!

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Actually I suspect the storage lid can be lowered in the photo you referred to. There is quite a lot of headroom between the rolling bag and the lid. All the same your point is well taken. If you stuff the trunk to the gills you have to leave the roof up.

The trunk is small. Realistically these cars are for golf days, weekend trips or hotel-hopping, packing light for two... more about the drive than bringing along all the creature comforts of home.

20. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Yep. I will take it on a longer trip, but as of now they have been weekend trips, 2 to 3 days. We pack light and take a credit card.

21. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    The trunk can be tight as we all know, but what I do is use the back seat for a bag or two. It's a perfect storage area and the only thing you have to remember is to put the roof back up when you leave the car (which I always do anyway).

22. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I am too OCD for all this seat down stuff all over the car look, the R8 is by far the better driver. Stick with that and with the change get something practical.

Cali a lovely car and much improved since early cars but no mid-engined engineered car. More of a soft entry in to Ferrari for the wives.

There is no car that ticks all the boxes I tried !

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, if you have an OCD you would probably feel compelled to load up the car anyway - after all, that's the thing with OCD... if it's there, do it to the max and then some? Without OCD though, you might just bring the luggage you need and focus more on the trip and the occasion. A getaway always work better if try to leave your anxieties... behind, great therapy for the OCD-impaired. ;)

Having a really fast, great sounding comfortable Fcar that can convert between a beautiful coupe and a lovely full convertible in seconds is perfect - there are NO OTHER CARS in this category.

24. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I did not buy my Cali T until I satisfied myself that I could fit 2 golf bags in the back seat and still accomodate adequate luggage for the wife and I for 5 days. We are both avid golfers and Northern Michigan offers many, many outstanding opportunities for both spirited driving and great golfing. The key is to use 2 smaller golf bags (still 14 clubs in each) and 3 soft sided duffles in the boot. Take the woods and hybrids out and lay them across the back seat along side the stacked bags. My windscreen still fits and we can drive top down. We just returned from a 5 day 800 mile trip with no worries whatsoever. Of course, you cannot pack like you are going on a cruise but it will not require too many sacrifices if one exercises reasonable judgment. Give her a try!