Parking Uphill / Downhill | FerrariChat

Parking Uphill / Downhill

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Rockman1, Sep 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rockman1

Rockman1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Quick question on best way to park the California uphill (I assume the same for downhill). Tomorrow going to give it the first wash, and our driveway is sloped downhill. I usually back the 430 out the driveway, put it in neutral and engage the parking brake (so front is facing uphill). Then when it's time to drive back in - I put the car in first gear, release the parking brake and "gently" go forward.

Curious with the Cali - when I back onto the sloped driveway, should I put it in neutral and engage electronic parking brake before turning the car off? Or after I back out, should I just shut the car off (assuming it goes into park)? I just want to make sure it doesn't roll backward either when I turn it off or when I turn it back on it again after the wash.

I guess the same question applies if I park anywhere with a slope, but this will be the first attempt. Figured it was better to ask the experts than find out the hard way.

As always, any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    You can just turn it off (but I'd still have my foot on the brake "just in case").

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Best way is to leave it in gear and turn engine off. That will automatically put it into Park and set the electronically controlled parking brake. Also, curb the wheels by turning steering wheel so if these measures fail, the tires against the curb will tend to keep car from rolling.

4. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    in addition to following proper parking procedures on an incline... there is a new option being offered by others called hill hold or similar, varying by brand... thought it wasn't necessary, but since using it, I would not omit it... I live in a hilly area and hate those that pull up inches from the real bumper leaving no room for any roll back... applying throttle releases it, just like having an extra foot or two