Who says you can't track a California | FerrariChat

Who says you can't track a California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by good2go, Sep 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    #1 good2go, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a blast yesterday. I spent time learning how to drive and racing around a track.

Two tracks: 2.5 mile and 3.1 mile. I'm with novice drivers.

There is a straight that is a little over 1/2 mile. Some fast cars came ripping down the straight. Corvette Z06 650/650 hit 158 mph. Fast car. My California hit 166. Fastest I ever drove it. You carry the corner at 120+. Absolute blast.

I'm a beginner. First time ever doing something like this. My instructor was incredible driver. He has been around the track 35,000 times. He drove my Ferrari, and was impressed by the speed, and handling. He could pass anyone at any time. Yes they are all novice drivers, but it crowed track, and everyone is flying.

Take your California to the track, you will have a blast. You won't regret it.

I can post more pictures if you are interested.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    More pics!! I have my first track day scheduled in about 2 weeks. I'm half excited, half panicked! I need all the inspiration I can get. 😬
    T

3. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    #3 good2go, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The guy that took pictures has not sent them all to me yet, but I have a few more.

I was excited and a little nervous. I have never done anything like this before. WE had a safety class, then we had instructors that drove with you. They had headsets so they could talk to you. They would explain the line, where to turn, break, etc. Sometimes he even grab the wheel to show how to move smoothly through a turn. There was six 25-min sessions. The instructor in my case was with me the first 3 till he was confident I could do it on my own.

In the afternoon on the long track, I was very nervous as the advanced came flying by at 140 to 160 miles per hour. Heart was racing. Not near as nervous when I'm driving.

Drive at a speed you are comfortable. Don't be afraid to brake hard, don't be afraid to accelerate. The Ferrari will handle like a race car. In my case I could blow past almost any car on the track. A couple Corvettes that were really fast. A couple Lotus Elise with experienced drivers that could fly. But in general the Ferrari could be pushed. My instructor could drive it much faster than I could. He owns a Porsche. He has owned 23 Porsches. He said the Ferrari was easy to pick up and drive. He enjoyed the handling and acceleration and braking.

I will post some more pictures and video when I receive them.

4. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Careful - track driving is very addictive. Glad you had fun.

I'm pretty sure you appreciate the car even more after seeing what it is capable of.

5. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Yes it was a blast, it is addicting, I will do it at least twice every summer. Wow what a day, what a complete rush.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great pics. Brainerd? I always wanted to check it out when I lived in Fargo, but didn't own a car back then.

Sounds like a similar driving regimen to when I did a PCA DE in my 997.2S. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to make the Cali contingent proud!
    T

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Yes in Brainerd.