Turbo S Cab vs Cali T with HS | FerrariChat

Turbo S Cab vs Cali T with HS

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MM77, Oct 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MM77

MM77 Rookie

Oct 3, 2016
    Hello everyone,

I would love to get some feedback on anyone who has owned a Turbo S cab and a Cali T? I drove both today and have been looking for a few months. I did not drive a Cali with the HS but that what I would get.

I love the sound of the Ferrari, the hard top and the comfort. As for the Turbo S, the 0-60 is hard to pass up.

Thank you in advance!

2. cosworthstag

cosworthstag Rookie

Jan 1, 2015
    England
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Depends what your looking for
    Launch control off the lights every day Turbo S wins hands up tested one at Silverstone.
    For everyday DD would take Cali T all the time more comfort still out performs most cars on the roads where you can at the end of the day at this territory it's not the car it's the driver.
    At the end of the day the Turbo S is not a Ferrari

3. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    I have neither, so this will be an uninformed opinion... :) But we do own a 2015 911 Targa GTS and a 2013 California 30 HS. As far as a daily driver goes, I'd give the nod to the 911, not so much due to comfort or ease of driving, but just a little less to worry about in terms of attracting attention, parking, crappy roads. But 90% of the time, if I'm looking to have some fun, and want to enjoy the sound of the engine, it'll be the California, hands down. I'm sure the Turbo S Cab is a rocket and a phenomenal car, but there really is something special about a Ferrari. A Ferrari will attract more attention, most of it welcome. But best of all, you'll love the sounds it makes 30 to 50 and back down again to 30 around town and on back roads. Either way, not a bad decision to have to make! Good luck

4. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    If you don't want attention, don't get a Ferrari. I drive my California T every chance I get. Almost daily.

It takes a while to determine the best car for yourself. I personally wanted an exotic car. Porsche just was not exotic enough. In my case it was not about speed, if it was I wold get a Tesla P90.

I test drove Bentley, Maserati, Aston Martin and Ferrari. Ended up with a Ferrari California T.

I would spend more time in the cars. Find out which car you enjoy the most and try to identify what you enjoy about it.

In MN its very hot in the summer time. Often the California T top is up during the day, and down at night. I like having the hard top. I love the sound of the Ferrari. I also like that I don't see a Ferrari every day.

Good luck. You can't go wrong. Also you don't have to stay with one brand, drive one for 2 years, then change to a different brand. I will own a Porsche at some point. And an Aston Martin, and a Audi R8, and a McLaren.. I like a lot of different car brands.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    As a long-time 911 owner who now has a California 30 (and who looked hard at a 911 Turbo S in the spring), the Turbo S will have an edge in performance (that car is a rocket), is nearly bulletproof (one of the car magazines did 58 consecutive launch control starts at an airstrip a year or two ago and the car never blinked) and is definitely more common and under the radar than the Ferrari.

However, the 911 is so clinically competent, steady and quiet that I think you will find it somewhat staid and boring as a driving experience compared to the Ferrari. I let the Porsche salesman, who is a friend, drive my Ferrari and he was grinning from ear to ear. I passed on the Turbo S.

6. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    If you dont want the attention but stealth fast get the turbo, for me it would be impossible to drive my cali day to day. Too much attention the porsche all look the same to 95% public. Often i doubt people recognize a boxsyer from turbo s....sometimes i prefef it this way

7. MM77

MM77 Rookie

Oct 3, 2016
    Thank you everyone for your responses! You all hit on everything. I really want an exotic and the sound on the Cali is better than the turbos (in my opinion) So I am leaning the Cali.

Thanks again for all your thoughtful input.

8. MM77

MM77 Rookie

Oct 3, 2016
    Good2go - I agree. I like a lot of brands as well :)

9. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    overall you are asking the F forum. To be fair, try ask the same question to rennlist.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Good advice. I own both - albeit not the models you inquired about - and each has its merits...T

11. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #11 vjd3, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The trouble with asking on Rennlist is there is not much experience there with Ferraris and somewhat of an anti-Ferrari bias there. It's interesting to me, because I've been a member there since 95 or so -- when it was the old email list called PorscheFans, well before it became Rennlist -- and while you can find plenty of comments there that Ferraris are too expensive, too much to service, prone to expensive problems and not as reliable a car as a Porsche (ummm ... well, okay, but ... lol) -- for the most part on FChat you find nothing but respect and complimentary posts towards Porsches of all kinds.

There is an old Porsche advertisement that said "It's like children. You can't understand until you've had one" and I think it's applicable to a Ferrari ... you can't really understand the difference until you've driven one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes, Rennlist is understandably different than fchat but I have found way less anti-Ferrrari sentiment than the Corvette Forum. Lots of folks who have 911 Turbos also have Ferraris.

Totally agree with the Porsche ad -because once I tried one I HAD to have one.

13. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    ask the subsections of GT cars in rennlist... you may be surprised how many owners have both brands

14. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
  15. MM77

MM77 Rookie

Oct 3, 2016
    Good idea, I will do that as well. Thank you again to everyone for their feedback

16. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    For most of it, community and contributors on Reenlist are far lower end than F-Chat

17. MRJW

MRJW Rookie

Oct 7, 2016
    I moved from a 991S to a Cali T and was asking myself the same question about the Turbo S. After 6 months I'm incredibly happy with the Ferrari and very happy I made he move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I had 14 turbo a coupe and 11 Cali before. I would even take cali over TS, not to mention Cali T.

I know lots of ppl saying TS is very fast, but when I was driving it, all I got was a boring type of fast. I got bored with it very soon. Maybe because before the TS my last pcar was 997.2 Gt3 rs. I personally think the GTR acceleration is more satisfying than TS, but comes with a penalty of boy racer image.
    But when I take "having fun all the time" out of my mind, put "usability" in, I did appreciate the TS.

Of course, if it's for everyday driving, I would go with TS just because it's the best thing as daily sports car in the market, period. If not, Cali T.

19. MM77

MM77 Rookie

Oct 3, 2016
    Thank you. I've had quite a few people tell me that the Porsche is very fast but is boring as well. Between that and what I've heard about the handling package on the Cali, I am pretty sure I will go with the Cali. I also really like the clean lines of a hardtop..

Thanks again for everyone's input

20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I'd suggest you go back and find a way to test drive the HS back to back with the Turbo S.

IMO there is enough of a difference between the Cali T and the Cali T HS models, that it may just push you over the edge. ( To purchase the HS and not look back that is )

GL w your search!

S

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I have a '15 991 turbo and had an '11 Cali. The driving dynamics of the 991 TT are better, and the car feels more compact and nimble despite actually being within a few inches dimensionally. It's easier to drive the 991 fast, and I like its road feel better. The 458 is superior at everything, however, though maybe not as fast as the 991 TT from 0-60.

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The feel of an HS Pack Cali is completely different. HS Pack was not offered on the '11 Cali.

It can be retrofitted on the '13-'14 Cali30 but so far, not on the CaliT yet. It's best to get a CaliT that already has the HS Pack. The CaliT develops higher torque than even the 458. I suspect the CaliT HS Pack will have the same short ratios of the Cali30 which are much punchier cars to drive than the '09-'12 Calis.

The '11 Cali had steering rack ratio of 2.5 turns vs 2.2 for the standard CaliT. That makes the CaliT feel smaller and quicker around corners. The Magneride ECU and throttle responses on the HS Pack cars are also faster. Suspension springs rates are higher, imparting faster steering response under load, much better handling of bumps. Ride height may also be lowered (my HS Cali30 was).

The 458 does have better noise and ultimate handling but it's not as practical to use on a daily basis.

911s are very competent cars that are fun to own and drive around but they lack the special feel of a Ferrari. They are not as much of an event to take a drive in and their interiors are substandard from an aesthetic design point of view. The 991 generation looks good on the outside but I find Porsche interiors extremely boring and disappointing.

23. MM77

MM77 Rookie

Oct 3, 2016
    Thanks! I will try to find one wih a HS to test drive.

24. MM77

MM77 Rookie

Oct 3, 2016
    Thank you for the feedback, really helpful!

25. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    "The 991 generation looks good on the outside but I find Porsche interiors extremely boring and disappointing"

too true....all my porsches (GT3, GT4, macans) are literally ALL the same and very bland.