Blank Infotainment Screen | FerrariChat

Blank Infotainment Screen

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mguthrie, Oct 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    My '15 Cali T threw my for a loop yesterday. All was well at startup and prior to washing and mild detailing but after restarting it I noticed that the infotainment screen was blank. The forward and backup cameras work fine but no radio, nav, etc. Everything esle appears to be normal.

I would drop by my local dealer but the transporter arrives tomorrow to pick it up for its annual sojourn south. I just do not have the time to get it there.

Any ideas? I am hesitant to disconnect the battery lest I create more unexpected gremlins. Thanks for any insights.

Mike G.

2. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I already tried turning it on and off, locking and unlocking doors, arming and disarming the security system and driving on bumpy roads. I also let it rest overnight. No success yet.

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Could cycle the fuse that feeds power to the unit and let it reboot on the next startup...

4. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    How long are you holding the power button? I had the same behavior with my California T. I held the power button for a long time. 10 seconds. and it came on. Same with turning it off. If I hit the power button it just mutes the system. I have to hold the power button a long time to turn the system off.

Hold the power button 10 seconds. Does it come on?

5. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Do you have CarPlay by any chance? I do and have had something similar happen. If you do, try plugging in your iPhone and hitting the CarPlay button on the top right of the infotainment system. That may bring up the CarPlay screen. Then turn your Cali T off and on again.

6. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Also is your screen blank, or is it really just displaying all black pixels?

7. broncoupe

broncoupe Rookie

Sep 13, 2016
    Bournemouth UK
    Full Name:
    michael B
    if a dealer has ever said to you
    They have reset the software all they do is disconnect the battery
    Iwork with all manner of exoctics you have tried all the sensible firsts
    Now you need to dig deep disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so
    Reconnect everything will clean boot
    saved my bacon countless times

8. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    Thank you all for the suggestions. She was loaded up on the transporter yesterday and is due in West Palm Beach Sunday evening. That is an all time speed record for getting one of my vehicles from Mich to Fl or vice versa.

The dealer suggests dis/reconnecting the battery so I will give that a try as soon as I am back in the driver's seat.

I tried the CarPlay tactic and holding down the power button for an extended time. No dice. The unit failed to turn. My phone failed to connect as well. The screen appeared to be totally blank. However, my cameras both worked. Strange. I will let you know the results of my next intervention Sunday evening.

Mike g.

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Amongst "past lives" I was also a vendor software engineer at one point.

It's quite possible your infotainment system got "knocked out" by a software bug - in computer jargon we call this a "hang" as in "the computer is hung" or stuck executing some code that cannot unwind or cannot be interrupted by regular controls. Doing a "power cycle" would purge the software and force the system to reboot, usually with positive results. Such software bugs are often expunged if they rear their heads often enough to prompt action by the software developers. This can be done when the dealer updates the software in your car.

As for why the cameras still work, the screen of the infotainment system is probably controlled by one of the ECUs to either display data from the infotainment functions or display video from the cameras.

When your car's cameras are activated, the ECU controlling the display simply turns over display control from the head unit to the cameras. The cameras always have priority over the infotainment display functions but the infotainment system would continue to perform certain functions like maintaining the connection to your phone, as such functions do not compromise the cameras' operation.

Good luck and do keep us updated on resolving your problem! ;)

10. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Keep us posted!

11. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    Disconnecting the battery worked!!! I followed the instructions for reconnecting the battery and voila...it all came back as before. Now I have to figure out how to reset the clock but I am confident that I am up to the task. Thank you all for your very valuable assitance and encouragement.

This forum is a huge asset to the Ferrarista community due the wealth of knowledge and encouragement of its subscribers. I have often wanted to contribute more while lurking about for years but refrained from doing so because of concern that I had not earned my chops. No slight intended to anyone here, it was all on me. Ferrari enthusiasts are joined due to a shared passion for cars, especially but not exclusively Ferrari. I am glad to be here.

12. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Awesome! When I had a roof problem, I disconnected the battery. Not only did I have to reset the clock, the "Service Date" had to be reset by the local dealer.

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's great Mike! I'm glad your infotainment system is working again.

Just to add to Randy's comment, when the battery of my Cali30 was disconnected it had to go through a setup procedure for the optional STOP/START feature I have on my car. If your car also has the same feature you will likely need to perform the same task to reactivate it. I posted information on this in the past. It's not a huge task but it is somewhat technical in nature.

At any rate, I hope your dealer can look into the infotainment system glitch when they perform the next service on your car.