DCT failure in 2012 - diagnoses *other* than sensor? | FerrariChat

DCT failure in 2012 - diagnoses *other* than sensor?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DonnieSteele, Oct 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonnieSteele

DonnieSteele Rookie

May 11, 2015
    Just got the dreaded "DCT failure" light on my dash following an inability to shift into 1-3-5-7 (R-2-4-6 work) and was curious if anyone has found the culprit to be something OTHER than the gearbox and/or sensor.

I've trolled through the forums and didn't come up with anything, but am eager to uncover all potential diagnoses so I can discuss with my mechanic. I doubt I'm lucky enough to hear of a tale where the cause was simply dirty/unfilled transmission fluid, but want to be able to check off the less costly potential issues first, along with making sure the root cause of the issue is solved (e.g. sensor went bad b/c of a leak in the [insert some other PIA issue]).

Thanks all – happy motoring!

2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #2 MDEL, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unfortunately when the DCT light shows and your Cali only shifts the odd or the even gears the signs are no good at all. The scheme below shows how the DCT gearbox operates and 1-3-5-7 are connected to the odd primary shaft.
    According to my Ferrari dealer that is qualified by Maranello to repair any DCT transmission 99% of the failures they've repaired are not due to mechanical break downs but to sensors failures. I had a problem with my Cali DCT this year and it was due to the failure of the main shaft sensor but because there are other sensors inside the gearbox in your case the problem could be in any of them. My Ferrari dealer diagnosed which sensor was the problematic one by doing several tests and analyzing the data messages with their computers. As you certainly know the substitution of any sensor needs that the transmission is removed from the car and that's quite a task (in the thread California Gearbox failure I've posted some photos that show how they remove the DCT). My Cali's DCT after being repaired feels much better than ever before and so far is working perfectly.
    I don´t know what's your idea but repairing the Cali DCT is a job that can only be guaranteed if performed in a Ferrari dealer that has the level nr.3 qualification and all the special tooling. As far as I know Ferrari only sells and supplies the spare sensors to the qualified dealers.

Wish you luck and a quick solution.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    ^^^^ This pretty much sums it up.

S

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
  5. DonnieSteele

DonnieSteele Rookie

May 11, 2015
    The other thread was so helpful, I accidentally posted my response on that thread instead... Thank you guys for the help and insight. Always a bummer to have to send it off to the shop but I'm glad to be in the know and level set my expectations.