The Carbon options dilemma | FerrariChat

The Carbon options dilemma

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by uhn2000, Oct 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 uhn2000, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All,

Below is our build so far but we are all over the place when it comes to the leather roof liner and the carbon fibre interior (so far its on the steering wheel only). Add another $3k for bridge, $7k for vents, and $3k for the driving zone, and $4.5k for the leather headliner. Do we need the A pillar in a black interior car? Thoughts? Please feel free to critique the rest of the build :)

Code - California T
    CALY - Brake Calipers in Giallo Modena
    CSB1 - Colored Safety Belts
    DAY2 - Daytona Style Seats for Rear
    DAYT - Daytona Style Seats
    EMPH - Embroidered Prancing Horse on Headrest
    FLMA - Floor Mats w/ Embroidered Logo
    HSHS - Special Handling Equipment
    LEDS - Steering Wheel in Carbon Fibre w/ LEDS
    LOGO - Scuderia Ferrari Shields on Fenders
    PAC1 - Rear Parking Camera
    PIP1 - Color Upon Request for Seating Piping
    PLAL - Aluminum Foot Rests
    RIFS - 20inch Matt Grigio Corsa Painted Forged Wheels
    RMPY - Yellow Rev Counter
    SKPA - Foldable Rear Seat Backrests
    STC2 - Color Upon Request For Special Contrasting Stitching
    STP1 - Color Upon Request for Daytona Leather Inserts
    ULEZ - Color Upon Request For A Pillars

Cheers

Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Interior is too dark for my liking but the red lining, Daytona inserts are nice. Try adding more red paneling or accents. The aluminium centre console looks jarring against an all the black. Instead of red, you might also use brown accents and use more of it - it would lighten up the interior. IMO, all-black anything is more of a clinical German sports sedan look, I think Fcars work better with more colour, either a warm or fiery interior. Black tends to look dull, a completely wasted opportunity since you can get black with any car. Buying an Fcar lets you spec much more interesting colours. So do that!

Since we both live in the GTA, I think you'll understand if I say black rims remind me of dirty cheap steel winter rims or incredible accumulation of brake dust. While on an all-black car it's easier to get the all-black theme, on a red car, black rims just look dirty to me.

IMO, I would ditch the CF and get a really interesting triplo strato exterior colour, silver rims and a nice cuoio all-leather and aluminium interior. Rosso corsa is a tired colour - way too many such cars and does not work well on the Calis, even my salesman told me that. A triplo strato will make the car truly special. Classic leather works well with the Cali's retro look, CF is at best just an excuse to use the material, doesn't really work very well with the look of the car.

3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #3 uhn2000, Oct 18, 2016
  4. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I like the gray/blue contrast way better than the black. The red is nice also, but not a fan of a red steering wheel.

5. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    #6 good2go, Oct 18, 2016
    I like carbon. Looks nice. Helps with resale. I also have the leather head liner. When the top is up it looks great.

Full electric seats a must. I really like the foot rest too.

You have built several beautiful cars. I think the most import is that your colors don't clash too much.

I don't like the red steering wheel.

6. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    The both look good. I Really Like the black /red combo . NO to the red steering wheel . The leather headliner and A pillar are nice to have in leather. It's an option I wouldn't have thought I needed but now that I have it I will spec out my next car with it.

7. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    A few thoughts.

Yellow calipers on red cars are too Ronald McDonald for me and I think calipers in deviating colours detract from the lines way too much.

As far as interior carbon goes. Either do it all or nothing. I think it's a mess if only part of the interior trim is carbon.
    Not a fan of carbon with brown, beige, cream and tan colours. It's like wearing sneakers with a tux. If you do the carbon steering wheel just for the LED's, note that you can get a fully leather wrapped LED wheel.
    As for the carbon itself. I think it looks and feel plasticy. I guess that's partly because Ferrari interior carbon is just carbon fiber laminate on top of plastic and not through and through carbon fiber pieces.

It's a GT, make it classy.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

This is my favorite among all three options you posted. Contrast in the interior for interest. Cali looks great in black. My Cali has full leather in the interior, and the wife and I love it. It just looks classy, smells great, and puts me in a great mood when we're driving it. I'd spend my pennies on interior leather versus CF, if the car's purpose is to be more of a GT than a sports car.

Any reason for the Daytona over diamond stitching on the seats? I think diamond pattern with contrast stitching is another elegant touch for a GT Ferrari. Again, I'm biased because that's what I have.

Great "problems" to have. Congrats and can't wait to see the final product...T

9. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    I kinda like your first option..be different

10. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks, reality is this is primarily my wife's car. I will be driving it from time to time but its for her first me second. Tonight I walked her through the options and still loves the first one saying its a good mix of sporty and heritage Ferrari (daytonas). She won't be washing it ritually so wants easy maintenance. I am going to see if I can add a band of red somewhere on the dash just to break it up a bit, there is too much black all over the place. I am going to decide tomorrow on the carbon (all in or nada). Will see if I can post up some ideas..

11. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    Agreed, it's a classic combo.. possible red stiching on the dash

12. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    FWIW that gets my vote, if it's dark blue with dark blue stripes on bordeaux seats.
    But not if it's nero.

13. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    You can lighten the interior with charcoal too.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I prefer what looks like Blu Pozzi + greyish interior. I agree if you do CF do it all or none. As to the value, this is all about what's gonna make you happy. No one really needs one of these cars. Its about your satisfaction. I'd say its money well spent if you will feel that much more fulfilled. If it makes no difference to you then, well, you know its money you will never get back vs the standard depreciation on the rest of the car.

I just saw you said its for your wife, and she likes the first choice. I say get what makes her happy. That's the best strategy! But, my take is change the calipers from yellow to black or red.

15. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #16 uhn2000, Oct 21, 2016
    Yes its for the wife mostly but when you have an opportunity to have 2 Ferraris in the garage its an amazing day in my life - I will taking it the days she is not :). Its been a fun experience so far - my wife is a designer so she has definitely has her fair share of ideas but wants to keep it basic Ferrari. Now we are just debating a few things:

1) Diamond finish rims versus the grey matt rims (matching the HS diffuser)
    2) Red daytona strips versus grey (matching with exterior or silver interior) - change stitch to silver.
    3) Carbon in drivers zone versus all (vents and bridge).
    4) Carbon on door sills versus none (see point 3).
    5) Calipers in yellow or black - matching the rev counter.

Anyhow the order has been submitted but no allocation as of yet so we are taking our time to tweak. From what I was told we are looking at April/May delivery, we will see - the earlier the better :)

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    very nice love the interior and red with a black roof would look amazingly good on this car...if you are considering that,,,

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    FWIW

I find the Daytona with inserts to be dated looking. Personal pref.
    Colored steering wheels look oh so good. On the configurator. But I see so many in the wild that sit on dealer lots struggling to sell (458's).
    Someone commented all or nothing with carbon interior and i agree otherwise jarring mix of metals and shine.
    I had yellow caipers on Corsa car, and wouldn't do again. McDonalds.
    Cali I seem to prefer when it looks more classy or understated vs racy.

Wish you the best!

18. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Your 1st choice was best-classic Ferrari! Add carbon vents,bottom door sills and bridge and red stitching - you will have a drop dead gorgeous car imo. Be sure to add electric seats. I have this same car and love it!

19. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Be aware that the yellow of the calipers will not match any of the other yellows. It's a different shade than the shields and center caps, and it's a different shade than the rev counter. What really grinds me in a Ferrari with a yellow rev counter is the different yellow of the badge in the steering wheel. I really find it clashes with the rev counter rather than compliment it. It's astonishing how many different shades of yellow Ferrari have seemed to get into their colour line. If your wife's a designer, she might want to seriously consider this, as it may be something she can't help but seeing, so to speak.

You could ask your dealer to have Ferrari paint match the calipers to the dark grey of the wheels and then use a black rev counter. Then you'll have a yellow badge in the center of the steering wheel that sort of matches the shields and centers in the wheels, and then you have the black rev counter matching the interior and the calipers matching the wheels.

The yellow tach is not really a classic Ferrari thing either as it was only offered with the 360 and forward. Every classic Ferrari has a black rev counter.

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I didn't know that about the yellow vs black tach. Good insight.

21. stepheng2131

stepheng2131 Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Or you could do red stitching,red daytona stripes and tacho to match the red calipers and body colour, sort of sporty GT? And just keep the yellow on the steering wheel and wheel centres. I have red calipers on my maser gt and it looks sporty as the ceramics are fairly big but dont draw your eye to much. There is a reason why Ferrari dont normally use yellow calipers on their launch / show cars. If it were my choice I would go for race seats, the carbon ones from the enzo in the maser are super comfy and ergonomic, i am sure Ferrari must offer similar on cali?

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #23 4th_gear, Oct 23, 2016
    IMO, the comparison between the shade of yellow on the shields vs the brake calipers vs the yellow on the tach vs the yellow on the little roundels on the wheel hubs/steering hub is just personal at best. I know there are people in the world who need to scrutinize every inch of whatever item it is in order to verify shades of a particular colour on it absolutely match each other before they can conclude whether they like it but I prefer to just look at the "whatever item" and say if I like it or not.

BTW, the newer Fcars are NOT REPLICAS of their original vintage inspirations. That would be silly. I think they are just meant to recall SOME of the features of the classics, make subtle connections, and combine them with features of NEWER Fcars so they all look like family, sort of like your daughter or granddaughter resembling your mother. They are not clones.

As usual as a former scientist, I also like to work with facts. So rather to just base assertions on my layman's words... or someone else's words, here are a couple of photos of the actual items. Please judge for yourself.

BTW, you see that white band on the shield that represents one of the 3 colours of the Italian flag... it doesn't match the shade of white on my car either. Heaven forbid! :eek:

23. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    The way people perceive colours is quite often very different from person to person. Some are more sensitive to these subtle variations than others. It's not necessarily a question of nitpicking, but about the fact that when I for instance look at the steering wheel emblem in relation to a yellow rev counter, it's almost a pastel yellow compared to the tach - and that to me looks pretty awful. It's the same on the outside. I don't mind the shields looking different. The background in those are not Giallo Modena and were not intended to be. What my problem here is, that Ferrari should have specced a yellow for the calipers that were either the same light yellow of the shields or Giallo Modena to match one or the other. To me, the calipers are a bit darker than Giallo Modena. Something interesting is that when Ferrari first started using yellow tachs, they actually matched the center of the wheel quite perfectly, but later the tachs got darker and another shade of yellow. This really showed on the 458, Cali, FF, F12 and on.

I think the failure to properly colour match these options is a bit sloppy and it makes things look bad. There's no doubt that sometimes it's also a case of poor quality control. I've seen center caps that didn't match ANY yellow on the cars at all.

It's the same with the white in the flag. It was not meant to be Bianco Avus, Bianco Italia or Bianco Fuji, and it would in relation to the Italian flag look off if it was the case.

And for the record in regard to your pictures. It may be my screen or it may be the pictures. But in the flesh, I think the differences in shades are a lot more pronounced than those pictures show them to be.

In the end do what works for you. To some it's a major difference, to others it's not. If the OP's wife has a keen eye for details and subtle colour variations, it may be something that could be an issue.

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A few points.

Obviously, small colour shade differences in yellow components on the Ferraris are important to you as a Ferrarista. I understand and can appreciate that. What I was trying to point out was that the differences are not really that large so IMO it's a personal preference, not an obvious eyesore to everyone, as I tried to show in my photos.

I'm actually a pretty decent painter. As a painter I have to mix colours very accurately to match what I see or want to see. With acrylic paints it's even more demanding because acrylics dry after each session and nearly all brands of acrylic paints darken after drying so if I have to touch up something after it has already dried, I even have to be able to match the dried paint by predicting its original wet shade. If you paint, you'll know how difficult that is.

The calipers on my car are pretty close to the wheel hub roundels but they are set a lot further inside the wheel well and are more exposed to dust. They will never look the same as clean yellow calipers placed right up next the roundels because of those factors. Yellow calipers are also used with non-yellow bodywork colours, a Giallo Modena may well be "too bright" for brake calipers. Very often, it is also not a good idea from an aesthetic standpoint to have all shades of a feature colour on an object appear in exactly the same shade - it can make the object appear "flat" or "dull".

The little plastic wheel hub roundels probably match the plastic steering wheel roundel which has a tinge of orange or ochre to them and actually feature a brighter yellow than my tach's yellow colour, which appears pastel by comparison and has a faint touch of grey or cobalt turqoise to it. I think you meant the tach looks pastel when compared to the roundel.

You have more experience with Fcar yellow tachs so I can only surmise perhaps the factory has been trying to achieve a "functionally better" yellow colour for the tach, which has an important technical consideration compared to the roundels. As for the brake calipers, the brake rotors and pads can reach bright-red hot temperatures (900-1000°C) and the calipers' proximity would probably call for special paints if they are to survive and not change colour due to the punishment.

There's also a difference in how colours appear as a paint and as a dye. The calipers and tachs are painted, probably using different kinds of paint and finishes (glossy vs matt) whereas the roundels are dyed polished plastic. Even if someone actually succeeds in perfectly matching all their colours, they WILL appear different depending on the light source and how the light is reflecting off their surfaces.

I do agree with you about the shield. It wasn't meant to be matched. I just don't think it's worthwhile to get too picky on this issue with the yellows because I think there's more to it than what may be apparent to the eye.