So I really like the new 2016 Cali T | FerrariChat

So I really like the new 2016 Cali T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by wrs, Nov 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    There is a 2016 in Houston that is a real deal, new msrp was $270k and it is a July 2015 build. It has everything I want and I can head over and drop a $230k check to walk away with it. The ask is $215k but with TTL it will end up at $230k which I can do. I own a very modded 991tts that is fast as hell and that I track at COTA. Both are silver and my TTS is well optioned and I have owned it for two years, it's been bulletproof even after four track events and numerous trips to the dragstrip. So I have a damn fast car that gets me around COTA in 2:40 and I am shooting for 2:30 as a personal goal. I can run down 458s and GT3s and pretty much anything else out there with a few exceptions. I even do it on crap PZeros.

However, I love the Cali but it's soft and people tell me it's a girlie man car and I see a lot of women on this board driving them. The thing is, I like a deal. I shopped my TTS for months and ended up getting a launch car with 3k for only 157k when it was 9 months old in Aug 2014. It had a 192k sticker, a built in 9500ci and front and rear bra along with an FVD exhaust. I have put about 25k into modding it where it produces 595 whp and runs 10.6 at 135 in the quarter and has run 10.5 at 132. It does 0-60 in 2.7s.

So there is one more car at the dealership that might be sold but it's a 488GTB with all the stuff I want and the msrp is 308 but the ask is 335. I hate paying over msrp. So what do you Cali owners think? I am not getting rid of my 991tts becuase it's just too damn good a car to do that. I like the styling on the 488 and I think it would be a track monster but I don't see doing much around town driving with it. I have put 12k on my tts in the last two years and have a 2015 RR Sport Supercharged for my DD which I love. So I figure to drive the Cali a fair amount in April and May and Sept-Nov. Probably would be doing 3k/yr on the tts and Cali each which would help my insurance.

Should I pay over msrp to get the manly man car if it's still available or go for the girlie man car (which I like) knowing I have a super fast car already? I probably won't track the Cali but I would be tracking the 488. Tell me what you Cali owners think. I really need to know. Almost everyone at 6speedonline says 488 and don't sweat the extra bucks.

The other option is to work a deal for a 488 build when I buy the Cali and then in a year I trade the Cali for the 488.

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I bought the Cali to drive regularly, if I was only going to use it occasionally I'd have gone with a 458 or other Ferrari. I also think there are so many Californias out there you'll make the money back in resale of the 488 when the time comes.
    Enjoy

3. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015

I love my 488 Spider but miss my Cali T w my family

4. MM77

MM77 Rookie

Oct 3, 2016
    This doesn't help with the 16 Cali but have you looked at the Cali with handling package? I was deciding between a 17 911 Turbo S and California T. But after driving the California with special handling package, I'm going with the California with HS. It is not as soft as a Cali T...Good luck and either way you will get a great car.

5. Mn-0127

Mn-0127 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2013
    Which color? Grigio titanio with Bordeaux interior?

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #6 wrs, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are the two cars. The Cali is Titanium but both have the Bordeaux interior. My wife has the red and black interior on her CTTS and we both love it. The Cali has the Magnaride so it's almost the HS. I have asked about the HS and it has a louder exhaust (about 3db) and will be about 15% stiffer cornering. I probably won't track the Cali but I would the 488. I track the 991tts frequently so the 488 is really appealing for the track but the Cali is IMO a very attractive car and the drop is really alluring. I had a convertible when I was in high school back in 1973, a 1959 tr3 and driving with the top down was nice. Later I had a 75 Corvette roadster with a pop top and a soft top so the Cali appeals to me from that experience becuase the hard top really looked good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    488 and California T are different cars.

I drive the California T over 6500 miles this summer. I love it.

I also took it to the track once (I'm a novice). The California T performed far better than I every expected. on the 1/2 mile straight I hit a top speed of 166, I was told if you can get around the track in 2 min you are flying I hit 2:03 (again I'm a novice).

I love the car with the top down. I love the car wit the top up. I drive sun or rain. I drive it on 1, 2, ... 6 hour trips. I drive it to the store. I drive it to dinner.

If you park a California T next to a 488, the 488 will get more attention. If you park a California T next to a F430, the 430 will get more attention. But.. I don't go out for a drive without having someone take a picture of the car.

Do you want another track car, get a 488. Do you want a car you can drive everywhere and have a blast. Pick up the California T.

Sounds like a great deal. I like a good deal as well, but its a car, it will depreciate.

Good luck

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #8 wrs, Nov 12, 2016
  9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    What track did you take it to, Laguna Seca? COTA has a long back stretch of about .7km and I hit from 157 to 162 with a passenger. Were you by yourself doing 166? I am surprised it could do that.

10. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I was in a similar situation recently. I have had Fcars in the past, but had moved to Porsches over the last few years. I had a Targa 4 GTS and a 991 GT3 RS. We recently went to Crescent Classic and on the drive over my wife and I had discussed getting into a Ferrari again. The GT3 RS dissapointed as a rally/back roads cars - was very stiff and just not very pleasent for what we wanted. Ferrari of Houston brought 2 Cali Ts to the event and I was following them most of the first day. Next to other Ferraris they aren't so impressive. On their own on the road, they look great. Tony Nevatti was kind enough to let us take one of the Cali's for an afternoon. I was ready to not like it as they have a reputation as has been described here. I was EXTREMELY impressed. The car is very fast and handles nicely. It is a great GT car. Suprisingly, it was very comfortable to drive with top down going 80 (or more :) )!

In the end, I decided to trade the GT3 RS and got an F12. Just could not see keeping the GT3RS and letting it sit. I really like my Targa and could not see paying almost double what the Targa is worth to get into a Cali. However, once it is time to replace the Targa, it will be with a Cali.

In the end, I think it boils down to what you want out of the car. You already have a track monster. The Cali would be a nice compliment.

BTW, the folks at Ferrari of Houston were fantastic to work with. i could not have been more pleased with my transaction.

11. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    BIR Its a track in MN. This was not a drag strip, I'm coming around a corner with some speed. And I have to break for the corner at the end of the straight. I was by myself.

My instructor drove the car. A Porsche guy. 72 years old has owned 23 Porches. He was very impressed with the California T (or just being nice). He has been around the track 35,000 times. When he was driving my car he passed everyone at will. I'm sure he could have done it with his Porsche as well.

I personally convince most people could not drive a California T to its potential, but they talk about stiffness and steering. Is it a track car, no, is it a blast to drive on the track, YES. It's acceleration is incredible. Brakes spot on and handling (from an novice is unbelievable.

I love the car. It is what it is, A GT Ferrari. Top down, comfort with some exciting performance and a Ferrari badge.

I will look at 488 after they come down to earth. I personally will not pay over MSRP.

Good luck with your choice.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I see it a little differently. The 911 is already a daily type car- just one that can also be a track monster. But I don't think it has that special sense of occasion you get with a Ferrari. The California will have more of the sense of occasion, but the 488 even more so. Since you have many fast cars, but with daily life compromises, I say go for the one that is the most different: the 488. Want to spend less? Find a nice 458. You already have a turbo monster. Might be fun to have the NA experience. It wont be as fast but like you said you're already chasing down many big name cars. JMHO.

13. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #13 jvmax, Nov 12, 2016
    thinking recently about getting into a Cali but already have the Targa. Really like the modern retro feel/look of the targa

14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. The decision is still being made and I like to shop for cars. I will report back with pics when everything is done. Might take until the holidays.

15. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    John, I absolutely agree. I liked the Cali, but I really enjoy driving the Targa. Might be the best overall car Porsche makes right now... IMHO.

16. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Recently cross shopped the CalitHS and Taraga4S - its not a super fair comparison because the Cali is about $120k more loaded but with an FF already in the stable I couldn't resist the 2 Ferrari scenario not to mention the constant smile it brought to my face during the test. Don't underestimate the HS differences, I was not impressed with the CaliT until I test drove the HS. Targa4S is a great Porsche, agreed with others, one of the best they have made. Unfortunately the 991 just does not have that exotic feeling that I was craving. OP to your dilemma, I really loved the usability of the CalitHS with the addition of the drop top and the fact that I could order one and get it with in 6-7months, the 488 was a long wait and the current ones available were over MSRP and not what I would spec for that car. Your choices are awesome but in your shoes I would go 488 if the CaliT is not an HS car.

17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The Cali has the Magnaride. There is an HS here in Austin but it's 289 and new but 2016 still, so I know I will get killed on depreciation. They are selling it at MSRP but then it's a Cali and not as in demand. So you would go 488 even though it's about 25k over MSRP? Assuming I can still get it, it would probably be very close to what I would spec and I would have to dump $25k deposit anyway if I buy the Cali and get in line for my own spec'd 488 Spider.

18. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    WRS,

I own a 2016 California T with Magnaride and in Grigio Alloy. I also raced Porsches when I live in the state of California a few years back (Thunder Hill, Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Buttonwillow, etc). Here are my thoughts:

+ As many note here, the Cal T is a GT. It is not meant to be a 458/488 and was not designed to be a surrogate for those cars.

+ That said, the Cal T performs outrageously for what it is (a wide/somewhat heavy convertible GT). I have been amazed by the power and the steering (so razor sharp. amazing).

+ The color (Grigio Alloy) attracts crazy amounts of attention. I had heard about it but until you see it you cannot believe. I "disappeared" in my 911TTS and most of my other P-cars (the GT3 would draw attention for sure, but nothing like the California T).

+ I absolutely love the versatility of the car. In "bumpy road" mode, it absolutely dampens the increasingly poor road conditions here in North Texas. The hardtop is great for bad weather days and the car is just an easy daily driver -- no question.

+ I elected to pay MSRP and am still happy with the purchase even with concomitant depreciation. It was worth it to me as I (i) like to order my cars a certain way and (ii) I like to break my cars in a certain way.

+ I shipped my car to the mountains this summer and you cannot imagine the top down fun on mountain roads. I will do this again and again and again every summer from now on. The handling and the sound in the canyons (still on stock exhaust) are just awe inspiring.

+ I will be in market for a track car in the next few years. I just see that approach as something entirely different. I will be considering a GT3/GT3RS and even a GT4. I may also look at the new Camaro ZL-1 and/or Viper ACR. Why? To me a track car is more about what kind of "feel" and "sense of speed and cornering control" you want with a car. It is also about how much money you want to piss away (or not piss away). The fun thing about the new ZL-1 and ACR is they are super cheap to maintain and if you happen to end up doing some "agricultural racing" during a off-camber turn you just say to yourself "so what".

I am fortunate to have logged over 100 "really interesting" laps in both the 956 and 962. I love Porsche. As I have gotten older, I have not necessary felt like I need to just stick with the brand -- it is more about the experience.

I can tell you right now that the California T is a very special car. Sure, several ladies drive them. So what. My transport guy had another brand new white 488GTB that he said was owned and driven by an "older lady" in another part of the state. Good on her and she sounds like a cool person to me.

Still love the T -- you cannot go wrong. Oh by the way, the Grigio Alloy color is a "secret killer" color. Don't tell anyone. There are very few of them in Texas.

:)

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Nice. I have always loved Grigio Alloy since I first saw it on a 360. Looks hot on 599s and F12s too.

20. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #20 uhn2000, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    I have paid over MSRP twice in my life for things I have really wanted and both times I lost very little money on the sale and was happy with purchases during their ownership. Life is short and money comes and goes - wasting another good driving year+ waiting is not how I like to live. Quick summary - I really wanted a 488, the response, and experience is a notch above even the CalitHS. However I need the back seat for the kids, need the boot for the golf clubs, and need the wifey to want to drive it (she loves the Calit). Further being 6'3 with long legs made the 488 uncomfortable particularly for my left leg as the rest step is brought inwards to make room for the wheel arch (I presume) and my leg was constantly in an uncomfortable bent position. After a one hour traffic ridden drive (my buddies car) it got sore and so I just bailed on the idea - same happened in the 458. I am fairly fit but I have an ACL repaired knee and being bent for long periods of time is just not comfortable.

Anyhow my current stable has an FFV12NA (and a GT4, selling for Cali). IMHO the standard CaliTis great if you are not use to use to these visceral cars- its very fast, relaxed, and very enjoyable on any road. However because I was looking for more of a 488 experience in a Cali form the HS made sense - an amazing blend of GT with a sport touch. I drive downtown Toronto about 85% of my commute and the traffic is awful so you need something that sounds good going slow and gives you bit of rush, pop etc. when you need it. Yes if your end goal is a 488 spider, grab the coupe as it will depreciate less then the Cali (in my opinion) but then again prices for CaliTs are holding stronger then ever in our market so a very personal decision of what you want to own and drive. Best of luck, I jumped all over the place before making my final choice.

My CalitHS config (still contemplating nero versus tdf)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqeS3pBLD9k

Nice HS Review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZgb1Yut_mc&t=580s

21. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    The Cali-T is awesome. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the car - it's a perfect everyday Ferrari. As the post says above, razor sharp handling, awesome power (a detuned 488 motor), great car for the family to enjoy (your wife will love it), and of course, it's a hard-top convertible. It felt, to me at least, worlds ahead of the previous generation California.

Funny story about the "girls car" comment - a friend would always say the Cali was a girl's car. One drive and he was hooked - he now wants to find a first generation car (he can't afford a T).

22. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    If you plan on the 488 and track it, I'd bring a helmet to test fit. You are a bit taller than I, and with the sport seats (non-race seats), head room is a little slimmer, at least in my experience in many 458's.

23. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Very true ... my wife would not even get in the F430 Berlinetta I had but she will go for a ride in the California. (If I drive it in granny mode. It can be a very Jekyll and Hyde car.)

My 2013 Cali 30 is still on the block, with bumper to bumper factory warranty through June of 2018. I want to see if my wife will ride in a 458 Spider ; )

24. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Wow! That Cali T is stunning. Once of the best specs I have ever seen on one.

25. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Please don't buy it. :)