Cali replacement | FerrariChat

Cali replacement

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by f12tm, Nov 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f12tm

f12tm Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    heard from a pretty reliable source that the Cali production was ending and a replacement was in the works.. and most likely will not be called a California... no specific release date but knowing from where is info came from something should be known fairly soon... I looked at other post here and do not see this mentioned... maybe others know more...

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Is that good or bad? I guess it depends on the nature of the replacement.

3. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    Six or so months ago we heard that the next gen "california" would be a bit more macho, a little more hard core than the current version. Maybe this is it?

I hope they still go with a GT. Would be a shame to lose the the best bits of the current range. I wouldn't mind some more agressive styling - kind of like the F12 without a roof!

4. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    doesn't seem like the Cali T will have a long production run, that's sad, it was a real improvement over earlier version imo,,

5. F1CALI

F1CALI Karting

Sep 22, 2016
    Sydney
    I am happy with this news
    As a 2012 Cali owner
    Here in Australia i have seen 09 - 14 cali with low Km hard to find for Sale
    Its so hard not to drive it, as its so versatile
    Family all fits and they ask me to turn the music off
    They even stay off there devices when we go for a drive
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    You can be pretty sure that the replacement is not around the corner. Geneva 2017 is reserved for the F12M.

The way I see it there's two ways things could go.

1: Ferrari makes a new entry level car as has been discussed before featuring a V6 power plant of some sort and things could look like this.

2017 F12M
    2018 New entry level V6 car
    2019 Cali T replacement
    2020 488 GTB replacement
    2021 GTC4 replacement
    2022 F12M replacement

The second possibility is that Ferrari shortens their cycle and things then look like this.

2017 F12M
    2018 Cali T replacement
    2019 488 GTB replacement
    2020 GTC4 replacement
    2021 F12M replacement

In any case, don't expect a replacement right around the corner. If you put in an order for a new Cali T now, chances are that you can enjoy that for a good 2½-3 years easily before you see a replacement on your side of the pond.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think the current rumour stems from the Nov 8 news story of Sergio saying all Fcars sold from 2019 will have hybrid technology.

I for one would welcome incorporation of KERS so long as the battery system design addresses concerns regarding obsolescence and ability to take advantage of any future battery technology developments.

Until then, as a Cali30 owner who has driven older Calis and tested the CaliT, I find your comparison of the CaliT vs the Cali30 not credible at all unless you actually prefer turbo Pcars over NA Fcars, German-style sports sedans over Italian sports cars. If you doubt my assessment, go take some test drives or just check the current EVO Magazine ratings for the 2 models. It's unfortunate, but Ferrari had to use forced induction for the current V8 models to satisfy CAFE emission requirements for the marque. If you read the Ferrari statements, you will see they were very reluctant to use turbos.

The CaliT replacement will almost certainly use KERS and I suspect Ferrari will have to control weight increases with at some CF body components and increase prices. If the future mid-engine Fcar will continue using a V8, so will the replacement for the Cali, because it will save a lot of development and production costs and also serve as a test bed for the 488 replacement, just like the California has.

I suspect any V6 model will likely come from sharing parts with ALFAs, and would be a smaller, simpler, lighter 2-seater unlikely to share a regular Fcar badge, as it would dilute the brand. Hence the talk regarding reviving the Ferrari Dino brand name, which was originally introduced as a lower-tier offering from Ferrari and can still be part of the Ferrari factory offerings. Formula 1 is scheduled to keep the hybrid turbo V6 engine until 2020 so any hybrid turbo V6 Dino will still come across looking legit.

The effects of KERS-hybrid features may result in higher prices for the existing models which can be offset by a turbo V6 Dino model. The final effect may be slightly lower volume numbers for the existing Ferrari lines but an increase in models and actual factory volume due to the introduction of a new turbo V6 model line (perhaps a coupe and a targa like what ALFA did with the 4C... notice the 4C is not V6). This should keep everyone happy as Fcars will remain scarce and older cars not depreciated by cheaper newer models which by using KERS, will generate new excitement and qualify themselves.

8. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    Kind of agree with you (on the first option)... but then there is this potential Dino replacement spotted - Maybe Ferrari are changing the releases to suit a new platform.

[​IMG]

9. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    It makes Ferrari sense to replace the Cali in 2019 with a new car. My guess would be a V6 turbo with the Kers system. The chassis will be new. This is the old Maserati designed car.
    I also bet the new dino will have the V6 engine on a 4C chassis.

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #10 MDEL, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The picture below gives an indication of how the future California new look will be. More aggressive and focused on track performance with a lower height to the ground. Apparently it will retain the folding roof but in terms of engine one possibility mentioned is a 2.9 liter V-6 (identical to the new dino) instead of the actual turbocharged 3.9 liter V-8.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    Love the looks, not the engine. Want the same engine as in the current T! Please.

12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Unfortunately Mr. Marchionne doesn't think that way and wants to introduce the V6 engine as well as increasing production to 10.000 cars a year. The signs are all there híbrido V12 and V8 and some of the Ferrari charisma will be lost.

13. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    Maybe we will get a choice, like the GTC4 Lusso - V8 or V6

Can only wish.

14. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I doubt it.

Machionne is big on platform sharing. The Cali will share a platform from another car.

15. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Very interesting. I think I like it although it looks a bit over the top to me.

16. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Looks good. I'm Hoping it will keep the back seats doesn't look like it in the rendering.

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #17 4th_gear, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    The rendering is interesting but I highly doubt it will transpire... it looks overwrought, impractical and does not address the customer base of the current Cali, so how can it be a Cali replacement? A roadster configuration would also overlap the Dino's likely configuration. Actually, if you simplify this rendering a bit, it might work for the new Dino. Unless we are talking of limited production or "supercar" models, roadsters also tend to fall into a less-expensive, already crowded segment. Compare that with the current Cali which sits alone in its own segment.

For a Cali replacement, it would more likely take design cues from the F12tdf or F12M.

Shared platforms is a consideration but AFAIK using shared platforms does not restrict engine choices. IMO, a Dino V6 engine for an expensive Fcar would be a big mistake. I ask you, as a current Cali owner, would you actually pay good money to "upgrade" your perfectly-good V8 Cali with a V6 replacement that shares its engine with a cheaper non-Fcar? They should make a small V8 instead and add KERS.

18. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Michael, the Dino V6 seems to be a strong possibility and the V8 and V12 Hybrids no doubt will be a reality. Mr. Marchionne is moved fundamentally by financial objectives which request an increase in profits. In order to achieve that Ferrari has to sell more cars, enlarge the number of models and have engines that comply worldwide with the most fundamentalist emission legislations. Shared platforms might also be a reality because they reduce costs increasing profits and that's what Mr. Marchionne seeks.

I might be wrong about what the future deserves and I sincerely hope so but, unfortunately, a lot of bad signs are out there. The Ferrari V12 aspirated engine which is an ex-libris will be coupled with an electric motor and soon will be something of the past. I'm already searching for an F12 before all that arrives and I'm pretty sure it will be a valuable "classic" in less than a decade.

19. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Marchionne is counting on the horse on the front of the car to sell it. So far, he has been right or lucky.

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I understand your sentiments about pure NA engines and I don't think Sergio is immune to Ferraristi concerns. However, all ICEs are extremely inefficient fuel-wise and emissions-wise during the brief 1 to 2 seconds after you apply throttle to get the car moving from stop. Gas consumption literally goes through the roof during those brief seconds. Torque and acceleration are also compromised unless the engine can somehow instantly burn a large amount of fuel - it doesn't even matter if it's forced induction as you do not get power from just adding more air. You still need to burn fuel.

Electric motors using brake renegerative power solve this problem by supplying most of the initial torque to get the silly bulk of the vehicle smartly off the line. By using KERS, they can keep the NA engines alive. Without KERS, it's forced induction, alternative fuel or full electric. Hybrid is actually a godsend.

I'm not keen on shared platforms but what actually concerns me much more is whether Ferrari can make lighter cars - ability to do that profitably will solve most of their problems. They should be developing more lower cost, more efficient CF fabrication tech that they can patent as well as explore ever lighter aluminium construction. Hybrid CF/Al/SMC construction would be likely be used in future Fcars. Lightweight easy-to-maintain batteries are the other challenge.

21. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Why make a car more aggressive and focused on track performance when the current one, which is neither, is such a run away success?

22. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I don't think this is a real Ferrari design. I think this is someone having fun with Photoshop.

23. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    lets hope so!

24. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    Agree somewhat. I have a 2016 Cal T HS and I love the car. Love driving it anywhere, anytime and always brings a smile to my face. The ONLY thing that I would change is the styling. It's not that it's bad, or ugly or anything, just that it could be "more Ferrari" looking.

I like the look of the FF or the GTC4 Lusso and would love to see some of these design traits make it to a new Cal T -- but keep that wonderful engine!

25. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    I think the styling is fine, I mean what do you want? to me the cali is a GT retractable roof cruiser, it doesn't have too be looking like it's on fire going down the road it is what it is,,imo