Buying 2009 Cali <$100k | FerrariChat

Buying 2009 Cali <$100k

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DrFeelGood, Nov 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrFeelGood

DrFeelGood Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    Hey all - long time F car lurker but I think I need to pull the trigger already. There are a few cars I am negotiating on in the high $90ks. My options are between 2009 with mid 30k miles or 2010 with high 40k miles. If I can get my hands on all service records, is there anything I need to be concerned about? I read here that the earlier years had tranny problems - would a car with this high mileage already have had them? What's the typical upkeep costs on this car? I feel like even if I drive the car for another 20k miles, I can sell it for $80k when I'm done with it if they don't keep tanking in price. Sorry for the all the questions... I'm just a little anxious. I've looked at F430s and been very interested, but I'd love to be able to put my kids in the back and put the top down and this seems like the perfect car (if we can all figure out the car seat situation at least!).

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Personally, I would always prefer a later year model. 30k vs 40k miles are not that different except here the newer car actually got driven more than the older one. Mileage also depends on how the cars were driven... in-city, many short trips car or car driven on longer trips at higher speeds.

I wouldn't know maintenance costs as my '13 has 3 more free years of maintenance but expect parts to be more expensive as well as a lot more expensive if they are unique to this model, labour rates not that different from Porsche, MB and BMW.

I would not buy any used modern Fcar without a PPI and at least a 1-year extended warranty backed by the factory or authorized dealer. Consider the 1st year as a test period. Service records and Carfax are good to have but do not always tell the full story.

Do not rush. Falling in love before buying makes you an easy prey. Much better to fall in love after you buy. Good luck!

3. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    +1 on the higher millage younger car.

Also, how tall are your kids? Those rear seats are tiny to say the least, Smaller than in a 991. Test-fit your kids if your reason for not choosing the 430 is them.

4. DrFeelGood

DrFeelGood Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    Interesting - thanks! BTW, kids are 4 and 2 years old.

5. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Not to scare you but check out the Gearbox issue. Be mindful of it when you buy an 09 or 10 Cali. Maybe even find one where the Gearbox was replaced in the past year or two as the issues seem to have been fixed post 2010 (I might be wrong regarding the year of the fix).

6. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Your kids will fit in the back seats. My 4 year old fits even with a booster seat and my wife's chair is back pretty far. I'd probably buy the one with less miles even thought it's a year older.

7. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Hard to believe you can buy these under100k.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The early cars had a lot of gearbox failures. I'd check with the dealer and see if this one has been replaced.

9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The 2009 or 2010 in terms of potential transmission problems have the same degree of probability. Mine is from this period with 14k miles and last year there was a problem with the transmission main shaft sensor and it had to be removed and repair. Fortunately I have an extended warranty which covered all the costs of the repair because otherwise the invoice would have been around $ 10k. After this experience my single advice is don't buy a Cali without some kind of warranty which covers the gear-box and the engine.
    Concerning the choice between a 2009 or a 2010 if they have similar mileage I think the decision has more to do with you preferring more one combo than another as well as with the options each car has. For instance there are many early Calis that don't have magneride suspension and if you can get one with this feature is recommendable. Other features like the reverse parking camera is quite useful.
    I'm quite surprised with the low prices you mentioned because in Europe even the very high mileage Calis have not yet reached those values.

Good luck

10. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Anyone know the actual amount of the first gen Calis that actually suffered major transmission issues?

But for that concern, they are approaching a very interesting price point for the secondary market.

11. F1CALI

F1CALI Karting

Sep 22, 2016
    Sydney
    The Gearbox sensor issue i believe is not limited to 2009 and 2010 year built cars.
    Mine was built end of 2011 and had speed sensor issue in the gearbox.
    I also have read the 458 having same issue and later year model Cali having these issues.
    So a ferrari warranty i would recommend is a must.

12. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Damn shame. These issues are bad for the secondary market. Scary high replacement costs. And such a cool looking car.