Depreciation of FF vs Cali T | FerrariChat

Depreciation of FF vs Cali T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by iloveferrari, Dec 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I found quite a few FF of only 2 years old at low 200's with MSRP of 300+. I guess it has to do with GT4CLusso arrival. In comparison, do you think our Cali T will fare better in a pure economical sense?

2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    In europe I follow regularly the evolution of the different Ferrari models prices and the situation is more or less like this. Contrary to the F12 were bargains are rare, you have a good number of FF with low mileage and very good condition at prices as low as 200 K USD. Interestingly even the earlier aspirated Calis like mine have hold very well their value for the past two years and the only bargains you find are cars with high mileage, or aged but without extended warranty or with some kind of problem. The Cali T has hold its value extremely well and you won't find any bargains around.

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I believe -- in the US at least -- it has more to do with the FF appealing to a more limited group of buyers coupled with original sticker prices as high as $400k. A two-wheel drive Ferrari convertible has a fairly broad appeal, while an all-wheel drive 2-door hatchback Ferrari is a narrow market.

I am curious where the "bottom" of the California market is going to be, given a good car with reasonable mileage. If you look at the F430s with the F1 transmissions, they seem to have settled in in the low $100k range, and they appear to be propped up by the slightly less expensive 360. I wonder how the original California, the California 30 and the California T values will shake out, especially with the California and the 30 being the last of the naturally aspirated GT cars. If good original 09 Californias plateau at, say, $100k, where does that leave the 30 and the T?

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no, it has to do with FF not being widely popular and a high MSRP similar to F12. I know some like the FF and purchased one because they wanted one, I respect that. Many sat on showroom floors or had to be purchased new to get higher in line for F12, TdF, 488, etc. the Cali T and F12 both hold close to MSRP driving off showroom floor, but the FF's market value is below the full MSRP Day 0.

the good news is a solid demand has established itself for the FF low $200's.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mmmh low 200s i dont think is accurate - i think retail is closer to the 180s for FFs

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Been told this is what you will eat one for unless you really fight hard, 200 is getting off easy or should I say only after a very extensive negotiation with your dealer.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not sure i understand what you mean

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    he says he agrees with you.

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes, I do agree, sorry for the lack of clarity.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no prob- crap load of car irrespective of the 20k

11. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The T will clearly do better than the FF. Both of my FF's came from the showroom floor, even through the FF is Ferrari's best kept secret. The T finally has (almost) enough horsepower and it is more comfortable to drive then the 488.

12. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I guess you can say I have intimate knowledge of this exact scenario - considering I've been trying to sell a '16 Cali-T and just bought an FF. I can tell you that the market is far more misleading than you think - that is, if the data points you are using to make your determination are based on the asking prices you see on cars.com, eBay, and Autotrader. Unfortunately, that's what people use to gauge the market. What the ask is VS what these cars are trading for, at least as of today, are world's apart. I'm selling my Cali-T at $35k off MSRP - for a car less than a year old and with only 2k miles- and it's spec'd in "resale" red w/tan - I think it's a crazy good deal, but the market is proving difficult. I'm coughing it up to time of year, the holidays, and people still sorting thru their financial feelings and what 2017 has in store now that the election is over. At this point, I may hold till spring just not to get robbed by the wholesalers - but all-in-all, def a buyer's market today, no doubt.

13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    As a guy who bought a used California, Im not going to go used just to save $35k. Id rather spend the $35k and get new

If Im going used I want at least $50k off MSRP. Anything less and Id rather buy it new.

14. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    #14 good2go, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    I bought a loaded T. It had 1500 miles and I paid $65K under MSRP.

When I was searching I looked on several sights. There were roughly 50 California T for sale (year ago). Now less than a year later there are around 100 available.

FF price has a huge range, but its 2012 to 2016. Car Guru has price from 149K to 298K. Year is a big part of price. If you compare to T you have to compare 2015 and newer.

California T right now has 107 cars on car guru
    FF 2015 and newer 50 cars on car guru

California T have dropped a lot because the number available.

15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think both cars' resale values suffer in part because many people in the US had to pony up for an FF or a Cali to be considered for an F12 or even a 458/488. If you were one of those buyers, what would you do when your F12, 458/488 comes in? Buyer's market indeed.

IMO, the silly part is that both the FF and Cali are actually better cars than the F12, 458/488 when it comes to usable features and how much they get used by people who purposely bought them.

16. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Better? I don't know, but I love driving my California T every day. And when I get a chance to drive on a track I have a smile for weeks.

17. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Sounds like a great deal - but I assume it was a 2015 with a high MSRP - which when we're talking about XX off MSRP it can vary tremendously - point being that high MSRP cars will take a larger depreciation hit than lower optioned ones. Additionally it seems that color significantly affects the values of Cali's (T and non T's), with the greys and blues typically offered for less than the reds, whites, and blacks.

Of course - you've got another model year of cars on the market.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I just drove my cali t for the first time- it feels like a kids car compared to the FF. I don't find the cali T does anything particularly well. The back seats are useless so i guess if you want a hard top GT convertible the caliT is the car for you. I thought it wld have more balls too. Sound is mediocre at best. seems like a great old person's car. give me a 430 spider all day every day.

19. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Wow. How many months old was it when you bought it?

20. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    You didn't test drive one before you ordered?

Interestingly my wife says the exact same thing. Back in early '15, we were quite keen on ordering a Cali T to supplement the 458. After having one for a weekend, we decided not to order one as it did absolutely nothing for either of us.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no I had to buy one for my tdf allocation

22. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    A Cali T order for a TdF allocation? Things could be worse. Are you not allowed to sell the Cali T?

23. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    The Cal does one thing very well - behave like a GT car. I have the HS version and drive it from London to my house in the South of France and it's the perfect car. You don't want a "sports car" that takes a lot of concentration to drive and has limited space. The Cal is perfect for it.

i drove a 458 Spider back last year and while it's a great car for shorter trips, the Cal is better on the long runs.

24. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I like the idea of an all wheel drive Ferrari, but I hate the looks of the FF. It may be even worse looking than the Panemara. Of course just my opinion.

25. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    It was put into service July 2015. I bought it Feb 2016.