Flat Tire | FerrariChat

Flat Tire

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Drldcohen, Dec 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drldcohen

Drldcohen Rookie

Mar 20, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Larry
    I apologize for sounding stupid but has any had to use the repair kit to fix a flat tire. Are there any good detail instructions. I have always had a car with a spare so this is my first time with a repair kit.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    There's supposed to be instructions supplied with the tire repair kit. If you read the car owner's manual it also comments a bit on the repair kit.

One comment that I don't like is the one which says "The sealant in the kit cartridge can damage the sensor inside the wheel rim on vehicles fitted with a tyre pressure monitoring system. If this occurs, the sensor must be replaced. Contact the Ferrari Service Network. ".

Unless you have no other option, if you can obtain emergency roadside service I would call them instead and have the car flatbedded because replacement of a TPMS sensor would likely cost more $$ and potential hassles than a tow.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  4. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I thought there was a 1800 number to call Ferrari and they will fix it.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Not sure if they'll fix it on spot, but I was told to just call Ferrari road side and have them take to dealer. I had a puncture soon after I bought the car, but fortunately it was a slow leak, and the Boardwalk folks plugged it for me, and fixed a wonky sensor to boot.

Is a spare an option with the Cali?

T

6. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Yes. The spare was an option for the Cali. They are an option for all modern Ferraris so far - sans the supercars of course.

7. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    That's a tough call -- I've plugged/patched tires on lower performance cars without incidence, and considered the same on my Cali when I got a small puncture/slow leak on a rear tire at around 2000 miles. I checked locally (Porsche dealer, tire stores) but had difficulty finding anyone other than the dealer to agree to even consider doing a proper plug and inside patch on a Ferrari. Ultimately I flatbedded the car to the dealer (under warranty) and chose to replace both rear tires. I saved the one good tire in case the same ever happened again around half through the rear tire tread life. The nagging thought of doing a repair and depending on the tire holding up at high speed (or on a hot day around a corner...) was enough to sway me to eat the cost. Obviously if the tire is only about 10-15% worn, that's within a more reasonable tolerance to just replace one tire.