Cleaning the Roof Deck | FerrariChat

Cleaning the Roof Deck

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BentleyC, Dec 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    My California has lines on the rear deck (which has a film protectant) that are visible when the roof is open. My guess is it's a combination of dirt and lubricant from where the bottom of the roof make contact when the roof is closed. What can I use to remove it? My usual soap or spot detailer aren't working.

2. AEB

AEB Rookie

Nov 11, 2016
    new jersey
    Full Name:
    art becker
    I used regular paste type car polish and it came right off

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The "line" does come from lubricant and probably a tiny amount of contaminants. All Calis have this "feature".

As for whether to leave it alone or clean it, it's perhaps debatable. I personally leave mine alone because the lubricant helps to seal the roof from water and also deadens noises caused when the roof rubs against the deck. The roof isn't fixed to the deck so when the car body flexes (car goes over a sizable bump), the roof will move up and down or displace side-to-side.

Some people may dislike the appearance of the lines and want to remove them. If you remove the lubricant on the deck, you should also clean the base of the roof panel seal that caused the lines and then reapply a correct amount fresh clear lubricant.

If you are technically proficient, it is possible to momentarily stop the roof mid-travel while you clean the seal on the roof panel and reapply lubricant. Just be sure you don't take too long and remember to complete the travel of the roof otherwise hydraulic fluid will eventually leak back into the hydraulic reservoir of the pump holding up the roof and the roof will fall with a bang.

Lubricant for the seal should be available for the dealer. I understand Mercedes also carries the correct lubricant for their hardtops.

4. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    On the subject of cleaning, and folding hard tops, is it OK to clean a Cali T with a pressure washer? I once had an SL55 ,with an early version of the roof, and a visit to my local car wash would lead to water ingress and electrical gremlins.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think it would depend on the shape of the spray and how close you aim the spray from the washer. You should also be very careful when spraying at the areas where the seams for windows and hatches are located.

I have a 15-year-old Kächer washer so it would be considered lower pressure to the ones on sale today. I generally use a medium spray angle, keep the spray at least 4-5 feet away, keep the spray moving and aimed at an angle to the impact area.

Since these cars almost never get really dirty, you should not have to ever hit the car very hard with the washer. If there is stubborn dirt, applying the sponge with the wax/cleaner should loosen it. Otherwise, it might need a quick Goo-Gone treatment, following immediately with the wax/cleaner and then a rinse.

Don't use car washes. I have always only washed my own cars, even my old pickup truck. I have not experienced any issues with water ingress except for a few drops at the corners of a window. One very good reason for washing your own car is that you will see anything that happened to the car finish. If there are scratches, bird poop marks that needs added attention, heaven-forbid ...dents, damaged parts, you will see them. If you let a machine or someone else clean your car, you won't know until it's too late.

6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    All true, though the guys at the local car wash do a good job on my city "runaround".
    I only took a Ferrari there once, a 456 M GT, and I'm still getting water out of my ear.

I also have an ageing Karcher so will use that (as you suggest, with care) on the Cali T when it arrives.
    Thanks.

7. miketarrant

miketarrant Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Hi 4th Gear. I note you say that the roof can move when going over bumps. My cali roof can make quite a loud thump sound on rough roads. I know its the roof as it doesn't do it with the roof down. Any ideas how to minimize/eliminate this?

8. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    My Cali has a knocking sound on the right side. When you go over a big bump you here a small knock from the top. Took it to the dealer under warranty, they lubed the seal, and the mechanism, made adjustments and it still does it. Guess I have to live with it as its not that bad.

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think all you can do is make sure the mechanism is properly aligned and routinely lubricated. I imagine the panel is held down by pressure from springs but any adjustments of those parts would have to be done by your dealer.

Does your car have a protective film on the rear deck where the roof panel is resting? The extra thickness of the film may help to increase the tension a bit. My car has the film and all it needs is the occasional lubrication.

Webasto folding metal roofs operate quite differently from fabric roofs. The latter operates like an accordion with the rear section being permanent fixed while the front part of the fabric is pulled and latched to the windshield. Each design has its pros and cons.