No start issue with 2012 | FerrariChat

No start issue with 2012

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by JAM1, Dec 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I left our 2012 California sitting for a couple of weeks. When I tried to start it the other day the alarm didn't chirp or unlock so I figured it was a fob battery issue. Replaced that and still nothing. Realized the car battery was flat so I planned to charge with the conditioner - but the trunk wouldn't open without some wrestling with the key. Finally got it open and plugged in charger for a couple days. Alarm chirps, doors unlock, etc, so plenty of power but the car will not start. It just turns over freely. It's got fault warnings EPB, immobilizer, check tire pressure. Any ideas on how to solve this?!

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I doubt this is it, but if it's turning over but not firing, maybe try resetting the fuel inertia switch? It deactivates the fuel pump relay in the event of a collision.

The other thing to do, as usual, is try to reset the electronics, first by turning the key off then closing the door and cycling the alarm. If that does not work, you can disconnect the battery and reconnect to try and reset all the various computers.

3. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    The issue is probably still your battery. If the battery was dead, the conditioner will not restore it to full charge. It's not strong enough. The errors you are getting are still symptoms of a dead battery. These computers go haywire and spit out erroneous messages when the battery is not maintained at full charge. I would call Ferrari and have them come get the car because they will also need to re-initialize the computers to the factory settings. The lesson is don't ever let the battery go to a completely dead state.

4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I am going to go with battery as well. We have been through this with a few clients that have there cars sit with no battery tender hooked up. I don't know what it is, but they die very quickly. I would definitely look into that before tearing into it further.

5. demarcom

demarcom Rookie

Dec 24, 2016
    Often if a battery dies completely, it's shot and will not recharge properly.... battery tender is your best friend. I have a mustang that will eat the battery in am month if not tendered