Pearl RearView Camera for Cali - Question | FerrariChat

Pearl RearView Camera for Cali - Question

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Berold, Jan 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Berold

Berold Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    Hi - Does anyone have experience with the Pearl Rear View Camera? I have a California - 2013 - that doesn't have the back-up camera. Didn't think it would be a big deal, but the car has such a big ass, it's difficult to back up without a camera.

The Pearl Rear View camera is pretty cool; however, I have some questions and wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with it.

If so, my questions are about - how to attach the phone mount to the car? The vent clip they provide is not long enough to reach inside and grab hold of the circular Cali air vent. It does have a mount that you can attach to the dashboard - supposedly using 3m dash adhesive, but I'm concerned about sticking a mount on my dash.

Any thoughts or feedback about experience with the Pearl system?

Thanks!

2. Berold

Berold Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    I should mention, it's a pretty cool concept if you don't have a back-up camera. It basically has a nice license plate frame with two HD cameras built in. It comes with an OBD II device that plugs in the OBD II port under the dash. This enables the camera to stream video wirelessly to your mobile phone screen via an app from Pearl Vision.

So far, it works very well and took only about 10 min to set up! My only issue - as mentioned in last post is how to attach it to the car. If I can't attach to my vent, and don't want to mount it to my dash, I may just hold it - as I did this morning when testing it. Still works fine! Just a bit of a hassle to hold the phone to look at the screen when backing up! Still much better than not having the camera at all though.

This system even has warning beeps and read indicators that come up on your screen when you get close to something while backing up!

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cool. Got any pics? I have backup camera on my Cali, but would love to have a solution for my 997.2S.

Can you use an iPad? Bigger for us oldsters (), and maybe at that size it matters less where you mount it?

T

4. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Very interested in your future experience with it.
    Looked at it about 10 months ago and several people reported tech issues with it.
    Also, it seemed pricey back then.
    Perhaps the price has come down a bit.

5. Berold

Berold Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    Sorry for the delay,

For Pearl RearView Camera pic - click link below.

So far, the product works very well. My only issue is that I can't get it to clip to the vent on the Cali, which means, I've been holding it as I back up. I can use the mount they gave me that includes double sided 3m adhesive, but don't really want to stick that to my ferrari dash.

http://www.inautonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/pearl-rearvision-1024x576.jpg

6. Berold

Berold Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    also, you can use an IPAD with it!

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 4th_gear, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Try mounting your phone to the windshield instead. Here's a picture of one such mount from RAM Mounts. I have no idea if it's any good and I don't represent their products - I just found it using a Google search on "iphone suction cup holder" - I see these things in phone shops all the time. I suggest attaching it to the highest spot near the rear view mirror instead of in the middle of the windshield where it blocks your view while driving.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BTW, I have the OE backup camera in my car as well as the backup sensors. I find the sensors more useful although I imagine the camera would work better when backing up close to another car or object. However, I never back up close to another object in my Cali30 because that would mean I park near another car. I try not to tempt fate. Don't park your Cali near another car or object as the downside to someone or something that might damage your car is much worse than the same incident with a regular vehicle. Park it away from everyone.

Sensors work much better than the camera when I back into my garage. Good luck!

8. hsc2001

hsc2001 Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    My biggest pain is when pulling up to a parking curb barrier. Wondering if the Pearl system could be used in a front license plate application looking downward ? Please advise.

There is a product called 4ucam - info here:

Here is the camera link, and the video about viewing the camera on iphone/iPad.
    520Tw

https://youtu.be/MlM3fVf99B4
    https://youtu.be/rHljn8hIr6A

If the car already has a display with video input, then the camera can be wired onto the monitor as well.

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That looks very interesting. Sorry I can't comment on the Pearl system but I have the same beef with parking up to the cement curb barriers.

I'm also looking to upgrade my 2-DIN infotainment unit to something with CARPLAY. I understand the newer systems have built-in WiFi capability but may be held back by security concerns, like providing a conduit for hackers who want to hack your car, like that incident back in 2015 with the Jeep.

All the same it would be nice to just use the display on the infotainment system instead of your smartphone. Perhaps the industry will come up with more secure WiFi for vehicles.