Clutch over heat | FerrariChat

Clutch over heat

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by kankan, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kankan

kankan Rookie

Feb 2, 2017
    I have a 2012 California with 17000 mileage and last week when I was driving, the alert suddenly showed up. It said clutch over heat and after that my cali had only odd gear, missing 2,4,6 gear. Right now, my car is at dealership. Technicians are trying to repair the gearbox. Here comes the question. Should I get a new gearbox? Since I heard that the new gearbox is upgraded and these kinds of problems may not occur again. Or if the dealer repaired my gearbox this time, will my gearbox meet similar problems in the future? By the way, I am out of warranty, but I can pay for the new gearbox if necessary. Thank you guys!

2. kankan

kankan Rookie

Feb 2, 2017
    Someone please help me!

3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Sounds like you might be experiencing one of the rare, but well known gearbox failure modes that affects the Getrag DCT cars. While increasingly rare, they still happen.

The likely cause is a failed or problematic solenoid or electronic component, which essentially only allows shifting on one of the shafts (odd, or even gears; usually odd). Originally, it was a heat issue that affected a poorly designed part, but that was "resolved" in 2011; however, the part itself can still fail.

It might be a related but different issue (eg. an issue that sets off an error code similar to this, and affects shifting). In most cases, the DEIS (diagnostic tool) can point to the actual issue.

A while back, dealers could not service/repair the Getrag, so the only fix was a gearbox replacement (hopefully under warranty). Gearbox MSRP is quite high, but I'd imagine your dealer or Ferrari region would help with a healthy discount (i.e. you should not pay $20K+ for a gearbox).

More importantly, if the gearbox is repairable, most dealers have techs certified to Level III (they can rebuild) and have parts and rebuild kits available, so what used to be a $20K+ replacement is now a $4-6K repair.

good luck.your car is new and under warranty, so the real cost will be the time lost without it....

4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    More than likely they will perform a valve body cleaning as part of the diagnosis.

After that IF you need internal components, the replacement parts will be the updated parts, no need for a complete gearbox assembly.

Let them complete the diagnosis , then post back if you are still unsure.

The cost of replacing the entire gearbox vs just what is needed is almost 50% more.

S

5. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    sorry - just realized I mis-read your post.

So, a 2012, out of warranty. I would see what the repair option is, as it would be cheaper and use the updated parts. Your alternatives might be purchasing a rebuilt gearbox (if they can source one; most "gearbox replacements" done under warranty are now rebuilt gearboxes). Getting a new one would likely be a waste of money.

While these glitches are annoying, the actual gearboxes are turning out to be ok, there is always a statistical number that have issues, and anecdotally that failure rate is pretty low now. As a 2012 car, you would have already had a Gen2 or Gen3 gearbox (our 2012 458 had a Gen3).

6. kankan

kankan Rookie

Feb 2, 2017

Thanks dude. I hope this is not a reoccurring problem. It is really time consuming.