Corrosion Warranty | FerrariChat

Corrosion Warranty

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DelbertW, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DelbertW

DelbertW Rookie

Feb 29, 2016
    Hampshire UK
    Full Name:
    Derrick Ross
    Hi Guys

After years of 911 ownership, I took the plunge and purchased a fantastic Grigio 2010 California last April. It is a dream car and the sound compared to my last 997 Turbo is off the scale better.

Quick question. Does anyone out there know what the corrosion warranty is as I have some corrosion under the paint on the door handles and the same on the roof. Only about 5mm square but it isn't going to go away on it's own.

Any info or experience of making a claim in the UK would be great.

Cheers

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry to learn of your corrosion problem. I imagine both parts are aluminium but even that will corrode under certain conditions. The door handles and the roof (esp. the leading edge) would be exposed to debris striking the frontal surfaces of the car but I'm surprised the corrosion is under the paint. If you already have the full service records and no paintjob was recorded, it's possible repair work was done by an independent body shop.

I believe original factory warranty in the UK is 4 years vs 3 years in N. America. So your 2010 car's warranty has also expired unless it was extended. If the paintjob was not done by a Ferrari authorized body shop it would depend on that shop's policies. The UK may also have minimum standards required of manufacturers to comply with but that usually only involves "rust-through" (safety) situations. So in all likelihood you're stuck with the repairs unless you have the original work order for a now-defective paintjob.

Frankly, I'm surprised you have surface corrosion issues. Does the car have high mileage? Aluminium corrosion can also be caused by galvanic corrosion whereby the aluminium parts were somehow in contact with nearby metals of very dissimilar galvanic properties such as steel, especially certain stainless steels (screws, particles?) while exposed to water. Body shops that repair aluminium parts must take great care not to contaminate the repaired aluminium parts with iron or steel debris, like from tools, sanding procedures. Aluminium parts need to be well sealed.

I would make sure repairs are done by a body shop that has expertise on aluminium panel repairs or the corrosion will likely return, perhaps with a vengeance.