Ferrari California & California T fits for 4 Asian adults? | FerrariChat

Ferrari California & California T fits for 4 Asian adults?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by khanhducati, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khanhducati

khanhducati Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    I'm newbie

Hello everyone,
    I have been considering for buying a California or California T, and I have a big question about the back-seats. I wonder if 2 adults can fit the back-seat with the roof up, 66" height each person. Let me know about it so I can give my decision ASAP. Thank you!

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 4th_gear, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No. It's not safe and I believe the owner's manual also states that. It will also look quite silly, like an overloaded boat, not exactly the impression you want to make from having spent so much money on an exotic. The back seats are only fit for young children with the roof up. For adults, you need a true 4-seater convertible, so try the Maserati GranCabrio instead.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

khanhducati likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What 4G said, it's small back there, even for my 30 lb terrier. For a short jaunt, perhaps, but barely that...T

khanhducati likes this.
  4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I still laugh a bit when Ferrari refer to the Cali T as a 2+2, it's not.

It's not a drop top, but get an FF.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not if you've ever owned one and have shopping bags, large carryalls, golf bags, pets, small children to bring along or just appreciate a sports car that qualify for a lower insurance rate category than a 2-seater. ;)

Smaller convertibles like roadster also tend to have small engines or limited utility, value; so I imagine Ferrari wanted to avoid being identified with that. They can also have awkward proportions, a tendency that can present an issue even for cars with big beautiful front engines and small back end, convertible or not.

Alas, good design is not 1-dimensional.

6. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Sure you can load stuff in there and small children, but I still don't consider it a real backseat. It's more of a large shelf with seatbelts:)

Where I am, those two seats don't change insurance rates. Quite sure that goes for Italy as well.

7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Because the space for the legs on the back seats is definitely insufficient for an adult, the only way one can fit is by sitting in one seat with the legs stretched sideways on top of the other seat. My son is 1,85 meter tall and he has travelled like this for short distances a couple of times but he couldn't wear the seat belt.

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 4th_gear, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Actually, the factory did offer a shelf version for the 2009 Cali... and there were very few takers. You have to admit, new owners had a choice and they preferred the seats. ;)

That may be true for your location but I recently got some insurance quotations and adding another 2+2 to my policy was significantly (more than 20%) less expensive than adding a 2-seater of the same or slightly lower value. They were all low-volume exotics.

It may have to do with the accident rate of 2-seater vehicles compared to those of 2+2 or 4-seaters.

9. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    ^^^ this. I actually had this conversation in depth with the underwriters of a major insurance company.

The reality is that GT3 accident costs are higher than 911's (normalized for fleet size), not because they don't have cushions in the back, but because (apparently) the various accident rates and costs are net lower in 911's. The underwriting matrix is complex.

In the "old days", the vibe was Corvettes were uber expensive to insure because they were 2 seaters, the reality was (again, normalized) that they just had more (expensive) issues. Said otherwise, 2 vs 4 vs 6 seat isn't a major factor.

Interesting to note that medical/injury doesn't vary much compared to collision and comprehensive. Again, insurance rates are a black box, YMMV....

10. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    That's true. I may be wrong, but I actually think they offered the shelf all the way up until the Cali 30. When the Cali was launched I remember actually liking the shelf more. The wifey and I also agreed that the shelf was what we wanted if we had ordered a Cali. Different strokes and all that:)

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yep, blessed by association.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    FWIW, when I ordered my Cali30 I also thought the shelf version was "cooler" than the backseats version. However, I felt the seats were more versatile and practical. It was a compromise. ;)

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If you open the top, then a bird person can sit in the rear compartment.

There isn't adequate leg room for an adult so they usually sit a bit sideways.

I've suggested that Ferrari consider giving a bit more leg room, maybe 6 inches would do the trick. And make the rear seating a bench and not Twin seating with a horrible intervening bump. With more legroom and a bench a third adult could sit in the middle with greater comfort. The high curved back on the sides of the rear seating are an ergonomic nightmare.

It is impossible to seat two adults in the rear anyway so why fake it.

14. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Not impossible, however uncomfortable. My kids are 6'1 and 6' and they fit in the back, not great, but hey for the few times I use it for them, its fine. I do not have to choose which kid rides.

15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    The question needs to be revised... what does Asian adult even mean? lol. Height is an objective measurement.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK well, he did "...wonder if 2 adults can fit the back-seat with the roof up, 66" height each person...". Being Asian myself, I understood and I think he just meant adults shorter than the North American average. ;)

17. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I think you guys are taking this thread..... Way too seriously...... I think this entire story line is just meant as a huge goof. i think the sender has gotten a real kick out of all of this. it's his first post he is not subscribed and he hasn't jumped back in to respond to any of you. Just my opinion. I think he Gotcha!

18. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Sorry, guys, didn't mean to at all.

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Uhmm, unless the OP actually posts a message to mock us, I really don't think so.

You know, if we never seriously consider questions from people with unfamiliar perspectives this forum would get pretty repetitive and rather boring. ;)

toplad likes this.
  20. toplad

toplad Rookie

May 10, 2023
    Uk
    Full Name:
    Adam Raynor
    I have been going through a similar process as yourself and viewed a Cali T in the flesh yesterday for the first time.

You've got no chance of getting 4 adults in the car unless your all 5ft tall, even then it would be very tight

With the front seats forward for short people there's about 7 inch of legroom for the rear passengers