New owner - 2014 California | FerrariChat

New owner - 2014 California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by D11, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    #1 D11, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First and foremost, thank you in advance for anyone who replies with feedback.

I'm in the process of buying a 2014 California for my wife as a weekend car, surprised her over the weekend. The car is under warranty till June and I was wondering if there was anything that current or previous owners can comment on that I should be sure to have checked out by the dealership. I've heard of a few top issues and transmission issues mentioned as I scan the threads in this section but for the most part those I've understood those to be few and far between as the cars are quite reliable. I did notice that one of the small LED bulb covers in the passenger headlight has fallen out and I Googled it only to find a thread on FerrariChat that this is a known issue with the cars and can be replaced under warranty.

Again, thank you for any feedback.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Very nice and discrete combination that one I'm sure your wife will be thrilled.

This 2014 Cali30 is one of the latest before the Cali T was introduced that same year so I presume the mileage isn't very high. The Cali is a lovely car to drive and use and very versatile because one moment you have a GT and 14 seconds later a convertible. With the top open is a delight because you can drive for instance during spring in the country side roads smelling the flowers in the fields while listening to a great exhaust sound within the best Ferrari tradition.

The gear-box (DCT) sometimes has given problems, with more incidence in the earlier models, I've experienced that with my Cali, however every Ferrari DCT independently of the year can have issues. My Ferrari dealer has repaired DCT's from Calis, F12, as recent as 2015 and normally the fault has to do with sensors. Because this Cali original warranty will expire sometime in 2017, my only advice to you is don't buy a car which hasn't a power warranty extension. The reason for this advice is simple, a DCT repair no covered by the warranty, even the simple substitution of one single sensor, will cost minimum around 7.000 $.

Good luck with your purchase and if go forward let us know.

3. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    congratulation.

4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Welcome to the family!

If you want, PM me the last 6 of the VIN, I would be happy to confirm service history for you and let you know when the next service will come due!

Steve

Pedronz likes this.
  5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Congratulations. The good news is if the original factory wire does not expire until June you can extend the bumper-to-bumper factory warranty for another 2 years, something that I chose to do on my 2013, and the peace of mind is worth it -- to me. Steve in Dallas (above) helped me with mine and he can help you with yours, if you choose. It is much more comprehensive than the regular extended New Power warranty, but can only be purchased if the car is still under the original warranty.

6. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    Great looking seats .

Edward

7. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Ditto the seats comment by Charlie. I think the diamonds look neater that Daytona inserts.
    As for an extended warranty you can purchase from Ferrari for about $4,500 per year out to a maximum of 12 years from new. The price for peace of mind doesn't come cheap :)

8. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Beautiful color/interior combo! I'm sure she'll love it! Regarding the warranty, that's great that it's still covered but perhaps you should consider getting the extended warranty when you purchase the car. It's a significant insurance policy that you will appreciate, if just for the peace of mind. You mentioned the headlight LED has fallen out - I recall reading another's situation where the fix is the replacement of the entire headlight assembly at a cost of something like $2.5k +/- each headlight. I may be off by a big figure but the point is big $$. Similarly, I had a flickering LED in my overhead light console that was repaired under warranty and it cost $1500 plus labor -- one tiny flickering LED... Good luck!

9. 0123hnguyen

0123hnguyen Rookie

Feb 13, 2017
    beautiful car

10. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    Congratulations! Beautifully specced California!

11. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    If that is the one that was for sale at mb of Annapolis, you got a very nice car at a very good price.
    Almost bought it myself a few weeks back but we couldn't quite work a deal for my trade across the country.
    Enjoy!

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Congrats. Yep, get the warranty, and relax and kick back, trying to think of semi-plausible reasons why you need to borrow your wife's Cali! ;)

"Gee, honey, the Cali is getting low on gas, let me fill that up for you, sweet heart (sotto voce - Three counties over!)."

Again, welcome to the family...T

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    This is true but extending the original factory warranty two years is about the same price per year as the New Power warranty, but it is a lot more comprehensive. If the original warranty has not expired, it's the way to go for the first two years, at least. My 2013 has been good overall but I had a run-around with a bad top sensor that was driving me nuts, and it took a few visits to get it sorted, none of which cost me more than aggravation.

Ideally you would be able to negotiate that into the original purchase price of the car so you can just forget about it for a couple years : )

14. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Thank you. I couldn't agree more, seems to be an easy driver with great GT characteristics and open top enjoyment. I wanted something that wasn't going to be overwhelming for her. I also considered the Aston Martin Vanquish.

Yes, I'm certainly mindful that anything mechanical can develop an issue at anytime regardless of age. While this is my first Ferrari, I have had three Lamborghini's - currently with a Huracan and awaiting arrival of a Huracan Performante on order, and fully understand that repairs can add up. On forums in general, there is a higher propensity to discuss issues with cars more so than pleasure giving the perception that they are more problematic when in reality I have received plenty of feedback regarding how reliable modern day Ferrari's have really become.

15. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Thank you for the offer Steve. We've pulled them Ann it was last serviced in April of 2016. Much appreciated though.

16. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Thank you for all the "congrats" and the recommendation to purchase an extended warranty simply for the peace of mind has been well received and certainly good advice.

In regards to the search and spec. I originally was going to go with a 2012 simply for the maintenance inclusion for 7 years benefit knowing this is likely a two year car for us maybe three max before we trade it for something else. Then after learning the power and weight reduction enhancements to 13 cars I moved up a year and expanded my search. I was simply looking for white as my first choice followed by red. Only looking for cars with the diamond stitched interior as I strongly preferred the appearance of that option. Strongly preferred yellow or red calipers. Other than that, the carbon fiber driving zone or magna ride were not deal breakers for me. This particular car was spec virtually exactly what I was looking for and it happened to be 2.5 hours away coincidentally. I drove up with her as a surprise to lay eyes on it and confirm its condition. The fact that it is a 2014 is a big bonus to still have factory warranty left for 5 more months.

17. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Yes, that's the one. It's on it's way to Ferrari of Washington for pre purchase inspection and repair for any issues if they find. They did confirm they will order a whole new headlight for the passenger side covered fully under warranty for that little LED turn signal cover that fell off and is floating in the headlight cluster. Cosmetically, the car is in great shape. I will have the clear wrap removed, paint corrected, new clear film put back on, and then he'll coat the wheels and paint with one of those sealant/ceramic coatings. All in all, I felt the car, for the price I acquired it for was just too good to pass with the spec, mileage, condition, geographic location, warranty coverage, and being a 14.

18. BentleyC

BentleyC Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    SW FL
    Congrats. I have a 2014 in the same color combination. It's a fine looking car!

19. Jimmy3993

Jimmy3993 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Jim Augustine
    If you haven't done so already, have the Ferrari dealer take care of the annual service. It is covered by Ferrari but has to be done within a certain time window and it runs my mind that the car was towards the end of that window.

Enjoy!

20. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Yes, thank you Jimmy3993. Car was last service April of 2016, so unfortunately it will have to go back up for service since Ferrari said they cannot service the car until it is 12 months from the previous one. Earliest they could do is 30 days ahead of the last annual service.