Cali T or 911 turbo s ? | FerrariChat

Cali T or 911 turbo s ?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jordan68, Mar 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Hi everyone....I used to have a 911 Turbo, I traded it in w a 488 (what an amazing car the 488)....but I have been missing my 911...mainly missing its DD and usability....the price of a 911 turbo s is close to the Cali T in my region....so what is your advice please, shall I go for a 911 turbo s ? or a Cali T ?

2. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    991.2 GT3 Manual.

andyrichter likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    For a DD, I'd get the Porsche if I wanted to keep it a little low key. If I wanted a bit of drama added to the mix, the Cali T. Happily, you can't go wrong, both are fine cars...T

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Turbo S.
    Ultimate daily driver bar none.

Big Swole likes this.
  5. Flashash

Flashash Rookie

Jan 20, 2017
    UK
    The standard 911 C2 makes an excellent DD IMO.

6. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dunno about going back to Porsche, I have tried and I was not happy. The 991Turbo is a great package, I like it but don't love it. I would try the CaliforniaTHS or FF - DD usable and will keep you excited about driving them. Thoughts?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

7. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    I live between two cities and I have an FF where I use it as a DD, I used to use my 911 turbo as a DD in the other city I live but as u truly said I liked it but I did not love it so I trade it in w a 488 which is just amazing ... but the 911 turbo will attract less attention (that's why I am thinking of getting a turbo or a turbo s ) again nothing special about it when u drive it and compare t to my 488 or my FF

8. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yup I get you, I still think the California T would attract a fair bit of attention. If you want to stay somewhat stealth definitely go 911 Turbo, I am sure there are some decent deals to be had.

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I cross shopped the 911 Turbo when I was shopping and still ended with the California.

Other than speed I couldnt find anything about the 911 that was better than the California.

10. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Thanks for the advice ... Appreciated

11. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Totally agree w u ... I owned a 911 turbo 2015 for 18 months and I found it dull, firm ride (not good for my back) and nothing interesting about driving it ... That's why I am reluctant to go back again to it ... It's just the need for less attention while driving it

12. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Its an interesting discussion because I was at the Porsche dealer the other day for my wife's cayenne turbo (amazing truck) and I told my Rep it's really the only product I love from them now. He went nuts on me hehe.

13. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I have owned a 911 Turbo and now a Cali T, I find that the sat/nav radio is easier to use in the Porsche, but the Ferrari Cali T is more comfortable, and more enjoyable to drive. Porsche makes a great product but they all drive the same to me. I say that as both a high high compliment and also a negative for the brand.

14. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    I have been debating about whether I should go back to a 911 turbo or turbo S and trade in my california. My worries are that it is likely i will be moving to a place where i need to drive a car every day and i don't know how the cali will do as a true daily driver as opposed to the summer driver it is now. I also worry about the service costs going forward. I agree with those who say the porsche is nothing special when you drive it and the ferrari is special every time behind the wheel. It is also much more comfortable. I am truly lost about what to do.

15. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    +1 agreed....I compare the 911 turbo that I owned to my FF...huge difference in everything....my biggest problem w the turbo that its not fun to drive at all and not comfy as a DD in terms of the ride itself

16. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Same here.... but I fee the FF is a great replacement that's why I got an FF...its a Ferrari, true Four seats, 4WD, V12, very comfy and a true DD...but it attracts a lot of attention compared to the turbo

17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I live in Toronto and its a big city, lots of nice cars around here. What is your opinion on attention? I like a bit of it, feels nice for people to appreciate it. Question: why less attention, do you need something to park infront of a clients office or even yours? If your like me, you probably won't go spend $180k+ on a car you simply just like; this may be the conundrum.

18. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W

I totally agree .... hv to drive a car that I love and enjoy .... and the haters will be always haters... thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Before I sold it, I used my '11 Cali on a near daily basis and to me it felt large and not especially nimble. It rode very well with the magnetorheological shocks, and was faster than it seemed, as it wasn't that hard to keep up with other Ferraris on back roads drives. Yet in the city, I hardly ever used gears other than 1st and 2nd.

The 991 Turbo is within an inch of all external dimensions of the Cali yet to me feels quicker and more nimble. I think it's easier to drive the Porsche fast and in all weather conditions except snow, and then even that's possible if you have the right tires. It doesn't sound as good as a Cali even with a Sharkwerks exhaust but the overall package seemed compelling especially since I opted to save by getting a Turbo instead of a Turbo S. I now drive the Turbo daily and feel it's terrific. The PDK in auto is always in the right gear and snaps off instant manual shifts in manual mode.

I think it would be harder to compare it to a Cali T, which gives little away in comparative performance.

I miss the convertible top but worries about an expensive roof failure was part of why I sold it, even though I never experienced a problem with it. I still have a 360 spider, though, to drive on the right occasions.

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The 911 is rear engine-rear drive while the Cali is mid-front engine-rear drive so the 911's front suspension will be and feel lighter, more agile. You will notice the Cali even has wider front tires than the 458... because the added weight of the Cali's front end is significant. Given the Cali's metal roof, the whole car is heavier to drag around... but you do get the metal roof.

The original Cali's rack is 2.5 turns lock-lock, not bad (991 Carrera is 2.55 I believe), but the HS Pack Cali30 is 2.3 and the CaliT's is 2.2 and the latter cars definitely feel quicker to turn. The HS Pack will also quicken the suspension ECU response for the Magneride and provide stiffer springs which provide for quicker, more composed handling.

Finally, gear ratios of the early Cali, designed for more sedate response at city speeds are very tall, especially compared to the Cali30 and CaliT. I may have more to say about that later.

911s do drive well but their easy performance and refinement also reduce the degree of driver engagement and enjoyment. Similarly, I think Porsche should really do something about the uninspiring cockpit. You can sit in the most exciting 911 and yet feel completely disconnected by the dull interior.

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #22 Need4Spd, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  23. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W

+1 agreed 100% specially of driver disengagement and the very full interior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    I've owned both Californias, multiple Porsches including a 2015 Turbo S Cabriolet. The one big noticeable difference is the Turbo S has turbo lag; quite a bit, while the California T had none. The Turbo S is also four wheel drive and the handling was much sharper than either Californias. However, that difference might be addressed in the new Handling Package being offered on the new California T's . The reason I got rid of the Turbo S was I couldn't get rid of the foul wet sock smell coming out of the A/C vents despite multiple fix attempts by the dealer. In the end, both are good cars but if given a choice once again, I would do the Cali T. That turbo lag drove me bananas

25. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    The 911 turbo I had it kept giving a very cranky noise from the doors, the dealer tried everything but the noise was there from the first date I bought it till I sold it .... It was extremely annoying and it was one of the main reasons which pushed me really hard to sell it