Looking at a 2011... or should I just stay far away and go 2012+ | FerrariChat

Looking at a 2011... or should I just stay far away and go 2012+

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Brianpore, Mar 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore Rookie

Feb 2, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi guys, still learning about the different model years and issues. Seems the general thought is to go for 2012+ only as there were still some issues with the 2011's and prior.

Anything specific to look out for, any updates 2011's could have had to make them more attractive to a buyer etc?

Much appreciated!

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    There are really two flavors of the normally aspirated California, the 2009-2012 cars and the 2013-2014 California 30, which offers 30 extra horsepower and is a little bit lighter than the earlier car. It does make a difference, so if a 30 is within your budget range you should at least drive one to see.

The principle advantage between the 2011 and the 2012 would be the 2012's free 7-year maintenance plan; of course, that's good for just a couple more years but it may ensure that the car has been seen regularly by the Ferrari dealer for the first 5 years of its life.

There was a change to keep heat away from the transmission due to some sensor issues, there are threads about that, but I believe that was already in place in 2011 anyway.

I opted for a 2013 car because I felt the performance was worth the extra price. Of course, how the individual car is optioned can make a difference as well, Magneride is a popular choice, I have it on my car.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore Rookie

Feb 2, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks for the reply and info. The 30HP is not a deal breaker. Looking for a fun good looking "reliable" car entire family can drive. Still learning and I'll research the sensor issues a little more but just got the impression to stay away from the 09/10/11 models.

A nice color combo 2011 came up but it hasnt been what I had been org looking for so figured I would ask you guys.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If you appreciate better handling and faster responses you may want to keep the HS Pack in mind. Ferrari is learning that people appreciate the HS Pack improvements on the Cali and the CaliT is now offered with its HS Pack.

You can find 2013-2014 Cali30s with the HS Pack option or upgrade non-HS Cali30s with the HS Pack. You cannot upgrade pre-2013 Calis, only Cali30s.