How long off tender? | FerrariChat

How long off tender?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tomc, Mar 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    How long would you leave your Cali off its battery tender? Taking our first road trip with the Cali, and just one of the things I was wondering/worrying about?

I'm assuming two or three days would be no problem. I'll drive it about an hour or so each day.

Thanks.

T

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I generally leave mine off the tender during the fair weather months here, because I drive it 2-3 times per week. It's been just fine. If you're driving it every day I wouldn't give it a second thought as long as the battery is in good shape.

3. Drldcohen

Drldcohen Rookie

Mar 20, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Larry
    My Cali is my daily drive. I have had it for a year now and have put 4K miles on it. The battery is the original on the 2014 I have left town for a two week period and left it off the tender and all was fine.

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Thanks, Vic & Larry. Just being a paranoid Ferrari owner. Not sure how old the battery is on my Cali...T

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 4th_gear, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tom, with a healthy battery you should be OK if you drive your car decent distances on a regular basis. However, the caveat is always the condition of your battery. It doesn't matter how much you drive or charge a battery, if it's on its way out, it will still soon fail.

If you're really concerned, you can have your dealer check the state of the battery with their EXP-899 battery tester. It's a special tester specifically made for Ferrari by Midtronics. Regular battery testers will give an inaccurate reading unless you know how to factor in the extra draw our Fcars put on their batteries when you run the battery test.

It just takes 5-10 minutes to test the battery and I imagine your dealer would be happy to do it for you. Just ask them what would be a good time to swing by. You get a paper readout and a very clearcut report from the device.

Here's a picture of one hooked up to my car.

BTW, you can sometimes make out a date of service marking or sticker on the battery. Check to see which battery is in your car, look for the sticker and ask the manufacturer how to interpret it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

You are good for 3-4 weeks, I've done 8 weeks on my F12B and was not an issue.....

7. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I'm unsure if the Cali has bigger parasitic draw than the other current gen cars, and the comments above about battery condition are spot on

FWIW we've done multiple road trips, and if you're driving the car 1-2 hours a day, you should have no issue. Remember, even when you're driving the car, the alternator and battery take some time to fully charge up, as most "charging effect" takes place when the car is being driven.....much less so than when idling or in slow traffic.

Our road trips have been up to 7 days and zero issues. The tender comes in handy (and is a necessity) for cars that can go weeks or more without a "proper drive". Our cars stay on the tender whenever parked in our garage, which is likely overkill given how much we use them, but better safe than sorry.

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Once it goes to the green light status should you disconnect.

Also does the length of time the tender takes to go to green reflect the health of the battery.

I recently had to have my battery replaced. I noticed that the length of time it took to go to green status was increased to over three hours.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The battery on my Cali failed in less than 3 years, and I kept it on a tender when it would sit for 2 days or more. I think it must be the combination of a not very good OEM supplier and the high heat and vibration where it sits so close to the engine. If you're about to head off on a trip, perhaps wise to get it load tested beforehand.

10. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

There is green, and then it trickle charges from then onwards.

Even if it is green, you disconnect, and then reconnect, it will not go to green for a while as it builds up slowwwwllllyyyy

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Will look into this. Thanks, 4G! I'm a tad worry-wartish since my Porsche (also a 2011) battery died on me this year, and Ferrari batteries do not have the most stellar rep. So, I'd rather be proactive than reactive, especially with hot months of Texas looming...T

12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom when I bought my Cali at one of the biggest Ferrari dealers in Europe located in Germany, I asked them which kind of problems I could expect with the car. The answer was quite interesting because they told me the Cali in general was a non problematic model but one of the weak points is the battery. According to them, Calis are supplied new with an Italian battery which can't be left for long periods without the tender connected otherwise, when it looses charge and is recharged again quickly by the alternator, has a tendency to fail or have voltage fluctuations. They only advice they gave me was to have the tender always connected if I didn't want to have electric/electronic issues.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, Mario. I can believe that. It was cold this a.m. when we left for home, 10 C, and it grumbled for an extra split second, before starting, after hitting the Start button...T

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thank you, Entropy. I'd have plugged it in, but our parking spot, had no outlet nearby. However, it was a good excuse to drive it every day, in between sight seeing and such...T