Bad noise when opening trunk/roof | FerrariChat

Bad noise when opening trunk/roof

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by fcefalu, Mar 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fcefalu

fcefalu Rookie

Oct 25, 2012
    Hi all,
    Been searching around but couldn't find any any answer.
    Since a couple of months my 2010 cali is making a weird noise when opening the trunk... 3 continuos seconds of "ta-ta-ta-ta"... Other than that the trunk opens and closes perfectly.

Same noise happens when and if opening the roof...
    Anyone has a clue of what the issue is... Will take it to the dealer soon but would love to understand what's wrong...
    Anyone?

Thanks

Francesco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Don't operate the roof if you hear or feel something's off.

First make sure your battery is being recharged when you're not driving the car as the battery condition will also affect other things in addition to how well the roof operates. Have the battery tested when at the dealer.

Your roof noise issue could also be caused by inadequate lubrication, issue with mechanism alignment, hydraulic pump and perhaps other things.

Check the top panel of your roof for any small dents. Move up your visit to the dealer.

3. fcefalu

fcefalu Rookie

Oct 25, 2012
    thanks mate, yeah won't open roof at all, but might need to sporadically open the trunk...

Do you mind if i ask, your advices are based on any personal/direct experience? or just your assumptions?

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 4th_gear, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I guess you must be new to this forum and haven't used the search function yet.

This is what my car's roof looked like on two occasions. It took almost 2 driving seasons to identify the culprit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Good advice! The hydraulics for the roof are strong enough to cause damage if they are not in sync or bind. There could be many causes for this, including a sensor failure or misalignment, or misalignment or breakage of one of the many parts. Best have it diagnosed instead of cycling it to see if the problem goes away. Most likely it won't, and you will just risk damage.