Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > California

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Jerry
My Garage
As a California owner I dont see the point in more power. Its not on my list of what Id want in the next Gen.

But better looking is pretty high on my list. She isnt ugly but she ain't no looker either.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:54 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDEL View Post
Mr. Marchionne recently said ďThe car Iíve had the most difficulty with is the California. I bought two of them ó I bought the first one and I liked the car very much but itís the one car that, from an identity standpoint, has the hardest time of seeing itself as a full-blown Ferrari,Ē

This gentleman is well known for his outspoken style and when he labels one of the company's most successful selling models an unlikely full-blown Ferrari, he starts by shooting at his own foot and transmits simultaneously a feeling of disrespect to the many thousands of customers who bought the California and are living their Ferrari dream. The California, and personally I can speak about the earlier aspirated version because I've owned one, is a great Ferrari with a degree of versatility that no other model can achieve. The earlier aspirated California even today is faster and more accelerative than the great majority of contemporaneous cars in this segment and a pleasure to drive in almost any conditions. With the top down is absolutely an unique Ferrari, capable of transmitting sensations we can't experience at all in other models. Anyone that has driven through a tunnel with the top down knows very well what I mean.

The California concept of GT/convertible is a very successful one and despite of what Mr. Marchionne speaks I don't think Ferrari can afford to discontinue it. As Tim referred, a V6 TT with more power is a very strong possibility in terms of engine and the redesign will happen but it's still a mystery if the new model will look like something completely different. However I'm convinced the concept won't change at all and it will continuo to be a GT/convertible even if this time Mr. Marchionne will label it as a full-blown Ferrari.
Agreed on all points and despite what road testers said, I loved mine.

What I was told is that it will bear no resemblance to the California aside from fulfilling the same brief as a convertible GT car. Regardless, we can be sure it will have circa 600 HP.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Agreed on all points and despite what road testers said, I loved mine.

What I was told is that it will bear no resemblance to the California aside from fulfilling the same brief as a convertible GT car. Regardless, we can be sure it will have circa 600 HP.
Tim in that case an "ingegnere" is urgently required to try to draw what the new California will look like.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:08 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Tim in that case an "ingegnere" is urgently required to try to draw what the new California will look like.
I think he is going to need some clues to start with as if this proves not to be based on the California............
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-20-2017, 05:13 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Tom C
Quote:
...This time Mr. Marchionne will label it as a full-blown Ferrari.

Eloquent, as always, Mario.

You can bet your last nickel that The Sweater will talk up the eka-Cali as it'll be developed on his watch.

I just hope that given the spot it occupies in the Ferrari lineup, that the current trend of cheapening the interior doesn't continue if not accelerate. Even if they use the artifice of renaming it as a Dino or whatever. I was driving my Cali today, and one of the things that it always reminds me is that driving a Ferrari is like eating a great meal, it satisfies all the senses, the look, smell and feel of the leather, the sound of the exhaust, etc. A cheap interior would, in my view, degrade the total Ferrari experience...T
Old 03-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Eloquent, as always, Mario.

You can bet your last nickel that The Sweater will talk up the eka-Cali as it'll be developed on his watch.

I just hope that given the spot it occupies in the Ferrari lineup, that the current trend of cheapening the interior doesn't continue if not accelerate. Even if they use the artifice of renaming it as a Dino or whatever. I was driving my Cali today, and one of the things that it always reminds me is that driving a Ferrari is like eating a great meal, it satisfies all the senses, the look, smell and feel of the leather, the sound of the exhaust, etc. A cheap interior would, in my view, degrade the total Ferrari experience...T
You completely right Tom and that comparison between driving your Cali and eating a great meal is brilliant LOL. In what concerns interior down grading, apparently they've done it already with the 812 and Tim, the author of this thread, spotted it and has been calling our attention to that.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:50 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
In spite of what we might like to say about the temperamental nature of our "Italian objects of obsession", the 2008-2014 Cali took exterior aesthetic cues from the 599. The current CaliT took styling cues from the F12 (and FF). So the next Cali would likely...
Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

a V6TT would be pretty sad! The V8 makes it a true "ferrari" imo.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
I think he is going to need some clues to start with as if this proves not to be based on the California............
First clue - though it doesn't help guessing the shape - is that if it is a V6, it won't be the Alfa V-6. Read past the F1 Merc comments:

Ferrari rules out F1-powered roadcar - motoring.com.au

Note also the reference to light-weight composites. In line with what "red passion" posted in the other thread:

Sweater at Geneva: ďThe car Iíve had the most difficulty is the California."

Last edited by ingegnere; 03-20-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:49 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingegnere View Post
First clue - though it doesn't help guessing the shape - is that if it is a V6, it won't be the Alfa V-6. Read past the F1 Merc comments:

Ferrari rules out F1-powered roadcar - motoring.com.au

Note also the reference to light-weight composites. In line with what "red passion" posted in the other thread:

Sweater at Geneva: ďThe car Iíve had the most difficulty is the California."
Thanks for that which would appear to put paid to the V6 rumour I was told. The other major unknown is would this be the first car on the new modular chassis and thus hybrid as per your second link?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Thanks for that which would appear to put paid to the V6 rumour I was told. The other major unknown is would this be the first car on the new modular chassis and thus hybrid as per your second link?
Hi Tim,

I don't buy the 6 cyl malarkey either. That is Maserati and Alfa territory.

I don't think that the Cali replacement will be hybrid either, even though I have contrasting feelings about that one. On the one hand, it will be a 2017 car and Marchionne has said that the hybrids will arrive in 2019. On the other hand though, the Cali has been the test bench for all new Ferrari technologies (DCT, turbocharging).

On a more personal level, how on earth can you go from the tdf to a Cali, in terms of driving dynamics? Doesn't it bother you?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALZEUS View Post
Hi Tim,

I don't think that the Cali replacement will be hybrid either, even though I have contrasting feelings about that one. On the one hand, it will be a 2017 car and Marchionne has said that the hybrids will arrive in 2019. On the other hand though, the Cali has been the test bench for all new Ferrari technologies (DCT, turbocharging).

On a more personal level, how on earth can you go from the tdf to a Cali, in terms of driving dynamics? Doesn't it bother you?
I know what you mean, 8 after 12 is not easy and I do question myself. Its really an insurance policy, especially as it doesn't cost me anything until I have driven it. The tdf stays, full stop, but it really is a special car for 'high days' and when you really want to drive as it demands focus. So that leaves a gap for more of a GT, especially on UK roads, and that will either be the 812, if they put the interior together properly, or the Cali as a convertible GT. Now all my wants would be solved with an 812 Aperta.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman316 View Post
a V6TT would be pretty sad! The V8 makes it a true "ferrari" imo.
submitted your quote to Webster 4th edition dictionary under "dil∑et∑tante
ˌdiləˈtšnt,diləˈtšntē/"
Old 03-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE RED MENACE View Post
I spoke with my dealer earlier this week and they have not heard any specifics yet about the car, other than rumors there will be one. The onlynthingbtheyncould tell me for sure is that it will be a turbocharged engine. Other than that nothing solid.
My dealer is already taking orders for 2018 cars (CaliTHS etc.). If there is a new car coming we won't see it in NA for atleast 24 months. AND considering how long I have had to wait for my car to get built I have no idea why they are going to replace a car that is such a hot seller (so soon).
Old 03-21-2017, 01:32 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
My dealer is already taking orders for 2018 cars (CaliTHS etc.). If there is a new car coming we won't see it in NA for atleast 24 months. AND considering how long I have had to wait for my car to get built I have no idea why they are going to replace a car that is such a hot seller (so soon).
It's not a hot seller in all markets by a long chalk.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:34 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALZEUS View Post
Hi Tim,

Does Ferrari get any sister company "help" wrt CAFE and similar?

I think that was a major risk in the IPO (unless they have a work around). If they have to meet the regs (?) independently (?), it will be hard with all v8 and v12 lineup!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:20 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
I know what you mean, 8 after 12 is not easy and I do question myself. Its really an insurance policy, especially as it doesn't cost me anything until I have driven it. The tdf stays, full stop, but it really is a special car for 'high days' and when you really want to drive as it demands focus. So that leaves a gap for more of a GT, especially on UK roads, and that will either be the 812, if they put the interior together properly, or the Cali as a convertible GT. Now all my wants would be solved with an 812 Aperta.
I hear you mate and I pay attention! Cheers.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaitalian View Post

I think that was a major risk in the IPO (unless they have a work around). If they have to meet the regs (?) independently (?), it will be hard with all v8 and v12 lineup!

I have been wondering about this too and assume it is at least part of the calculus on hybrid powertrains, despite the company line that hybrid is only to increase performance.

I did read recently that Ferraro has "small volume manufacturer" agreements in several key markets which may help them reduce/hedge their exposure to the regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 06:37 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaitalian View Post

No, they are on their own. On the plus side, having the production (sales actually) capped under 10,000/year, give them more leeway. But they still had to go turbo for their V8 models and will go hybrid for their V12s.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Sorry I wasnt able to respond earlier, my account got locked for a few days for calling the guy who was trolling me a mean name. To answer a few of the questions, Yes Im in the States and my sales guy at Continental is George.
Non-Sponsor Ads