Deposit down on California replacement (real or rumors?) | FerrariChat

Deposit down on California replacement (real or rumors?)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by nextceo1, Mar 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017
    Just place my 10K deposit for the New California Replacement. The launch is scheduled for this fall with Production starting next Summer. If anyone has information on this car, please post it to this thread...

Thanks!

2. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    I believe next California presented next year at geveva ?

3. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Wow! It seems like the Cali T was just introduced a little while ago. That seems pretty fast.

4. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017
    #4 nextceo1, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Yep, I thought the same thing. We actually went to place an order for a 2018 when the Dealer offered 10K off. Usually dealers typically stick to the no discount policy on new cars which raised a red flag. After digging around by calling Ferrari of North America, they confirmed the replacement of the California. The idea is to create a Hardtop Convertible with the same technology features as the GTC4Lusso.

Some of these include:

- The new 10.25 inch Touch Screen with Integrated Car Play (its now suppose to come standard instead of it being a 4K upgrade)

- Passenger Interactive Screen which shows Vehicle Data and other info..just like on the Lusso

- Will use their new Light Weight Aluminum Space Frame

- 4 Wheel Steering

- Improved Engine Sound. For those of you that have driven the Cali T without the Handling Pack, you know what I'm talking about. Sounds extremely weak (for a Ferrari).

- Use of the new "slimmer" Steering Wheel as seen on the Lusso. Lot of complaints about the location of the Horn Buttons and how you work the turn signals. Horn will now be back in the middle of the Steering Wheel and the Turn Signals will be more assessable.

- The Hard Dial on the right side of the dash will be replaced with a Digital Screen like on the left side. Nav will be an option that will be available in that screen.

- New Active Side Vents and Rear Diffuser Technology

- Additional Horsepower. The current 560hp engine on the Cali T can actually go up to about 700hp. Dont be surprised if the new replacement car uses the same engine but with horsepower north of 600.

- Current Cali requires you to be at a complete stop to raise and lower the top. Hearing that the new car will allow you to control the top at speeds of up to 35 mph.

Im sure there will be a bunch of additional improvements also not listed...these were just some of the highlights...

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for sharing the juicy tidbits with us. ;) The new features seem to be responsive to customer feedback.

It would be nice to verify engine options and specific performance data but I suppose they don't want to upstage the rollout.

6. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    This is nonsense. When has any car company, especially Ferrari, told customers about replacement cars for the following year, let alone given them info on the new features. I'll tell you when... NEVER.

Two posts in and he's getting secrets even many dealers don't get info on. Lol

7. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017
    Lol...gotta love forum experts. Those details they shared are nothing ground breaking. They are either features that are already available in other models currently or they are enhancements to address customer feedback.

In regards to your dealer comment...they are actually the last to typically know. When I called around looking for the best deal on ordering a 2018 Cali, 2 of the dealerships were under the impression that the 2018 California wasn't even being built.

It sure will be fun to see how accurate the list of features they provided over the phone match up to the Launch Car later this year.

Stay tuned..

8. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Based upon peoples discussion above, (currently looking at a 2017 California - new on the floor at a Ferrari dealer) what should be the appropriate number below MSRP? Thoughts apprecaited.

9. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017
    #9 nextceo1, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    At least 10k off...and possibly a little more since if you ordered a 2018, you would get it in 6 months. First build is July and then figure a month on the boat. One catch there..if the car isn't built by July, they shut down in Aug which means it would be built in Sept with an Oct delivery. It's also my understanding that the 2018s will only be produced in July, Sept and Oct before being closed out. I'm not an expert on how Ferraris hold their value but I would think having a 2018 with a limited production number for that final year might have some extra value to it...but that is pure speculation.

The dealers might also be willing to discount the Californias a little more if it helps their allocation on the New Replacement California which they are selling at sticker. Always keep in mind when negotiating with the dealers, Markup in the Ferrari is typically 10%...so a 240,000 California has $24,000 of Profit in it not counting any factory money they may receive.

10. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Lol. Love forum trolls. I'm on my 5th Ferrari in 10 years. Youve owned or own how many. Must be 10 times that of you are gettting first hand info from corporate on a non released car. Lol. I suspect zero.

11. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017
    Dude, its clear you're a fake since you have to tell people how many Ferraris youve owned...that or you are extremely insecure. Regardless of the fact, why dont you head on over to the Yugo board where you belong...

Yugo forums| Grassroots Motorsports | forum |

Bye Bye...

12. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Likely teenager in parents basement. Lol. I'm happy to confirm your story if you tell me which dealer took your $10,000 deposit.

13. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I understand the new Cali is a totally new design and very possibly with a V6 and also possibly hybrid. It will certainly be the first all new car from FDC.

14. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Isn’t LaFerrari the first all new car from FDC?
    I am interested if the recent comments of Sergio regarding the California will already have an effect on the upcoming car’s general approach/concept?

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sorry, should have said PRODUCTION car.

16. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017
    #16 nextceo1, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Just confirmed with Ferrari this morning. The New Califormia replacement car will NOT have a V6.

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Interesting. Is your source reliable as one of my normally good sources is. Maybe it could then even be rebadged as the Dino using the updated Ferrari engine sitting in the new Alpha Guilia to give circa 600hp? I'm told it's very beautiful and due at Frankfurt.

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Tim...you realize you're talking to a kid in his parent's basement...

19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, if he really is a kid then he's wasting his time in the basement. :D

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm not sure that's fully accurate. Here's why.

Your FNA source may only be referring to the US/Canada, central South American markets, not the world market. In fact, Sergio was hinting at offering more "models" or variants using the new modular platform... for the worldwide market. FNA is not actually a subsidiary of Ferrari SpA. They both report to Ferrari NV.

Smog problems in China are horrendous, same in India, Hong Kong... even in Japan; and they also have big issues in places like Indonesia, Malaysia... Singapore because of seasonal burning to clear jungles. So it may be the FNA source is saying they would only import V8/hybrid models and leave the V6 market for the expected Dino. While in the worldwide market, they probably don't recognize the Dino badge and Ferrari would do well selling the V6 Cali.

Remember, many countries in Asia also impose a 100% "luxury" tax base on the value of the car so if you want to bring in new Ferrari buyers, you might want to start gently given the broad competition in today's market.

The recent rumours in the mill point to "...a 2.9L V6 in 2 levels, 450PS and 600PS as well as a further developed 3.9L V8 which will bring it up to peak at 700PS and higher".

21. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017
    #21 nextceo1, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, I'm sitting in my basement watching Top Gear...

My exact question was this "Do you know if the California Replacement Car is going to have a V6 in it. If so, I'm going to move forward with ordering a 2018 California instead."

He responded "No, they will not be using a V6. They have the engine to where they want it. The main focus is going to be on body styling as some guys think the current California looks more Girly". They are going to "Man up" the styling.

Apparently some of you guys feel I'm having an imagary conversation with a made up person from Ferrari. I guess at this point, we'll have to wait until it's unveiled to find out...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    The dealer is speculating, based on logic. I would certainly expect the Cali replacement to have the same infotainment as GTC4, same steering wheel, etc. Based on Sergio's comments, I would be surprised to see a V6, and would be surprised if the car wasn't more hardcore, though frankly I think he's just wrong. I believe he has effectively already committed to a hybrid, so a hybrid V8 is expected. Not sure I understand the need for a deposit a full year before reveal since the Cali, much like the Lusso, has not historically had any waiting list.

Having said that, I'd rather see the Giulia V6 tweaked to 550hp and stuffed into a new Dino. With three pedals. Watch sales of the 991.2 GT3 ... The manual is a half second slower than the PDK and I'll bet anything that 70% will be manual. Some things are more important than 0-60 times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Please tell us the name of the dealer to whom you gave the $10,000 deposit.
    Thanks.

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Marchionne said that there is absolutely no chance for a future manual Ferrari.

I also doubt the V6 rumours.

25. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That's a very small deposit, maybe it's different in the US?