California Headlight Needed ASAP. Help!! | FerrariChat

California Headlight Needed ASAP. Help!!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by stu9891, Mar 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stu9891

stu9891 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Stuart Morgan
    Hi. I've just purchased a 2011 California and the dealer is preparing the car.
    It is in need of a new headlight unit, as the indicator is not working (a cable has snapped apparently), but Ferrari don't have any until mid-April!!!
    Can anyone help? Does anyone know of someone that has a new (or used), passenger side unit for a RHD car. It's a Non-AFS unit too!
    Many thanks :)

2. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    Had the same problem. Bought one on Ebay . Cost was $2,000.00 and was guaranteed by seller. Cost another $350.00 to install as the entire front bumper has to come off to put new assembly in. Very expensive project

3. stu9891

stu9891 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Stuart Morgan
    Yeah definitely. The dealer is going to pay for it all and sort it all out, it's just that we can't get hold of one at the moment. Ferrari is out of stock until mid-April!!!! I need to find a dealer or a private seller!

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 4th_gear, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Sorry to learn of your problem but at least you're not stuck for the cost. BTW, I see you're actually in the UK so keep in mind the units for sale in the US and Canada (e.g. eBay) are not necessarily spec'd for use on UK cars.

Having said that, have you looked at the 3rd party sources for Ferrari parts? They're a bit pricey but there appears to be actually 1 headlight unit in-stock in both RH or LH configuration at the following Ferrari parts supplier in the UK:
    Red Parts UK

If that doesn't work, there are also the following UK sources:

Ricambi (check their UK number)

Scuderia Car Parts UK
    Good luck!

5. stu9891

stu9891 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Stuart Morgan
    Many thanks for your advice. Scuderia Parts are out. I will try Ricambi.
    Redparts are weird. They have a co.uk website but are actually French!! I have tried them but they have not responded yet!
    It's beyond frustrating. So gutted! lol Is there a way of repairing the light? I know they're a sealed unit, but apparently, it's just the cable that controls the indicator that's snapped. I can't believe there is no way of repairing it.
    I just can't believe there is such a worldwide shortage of the part too! lol

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #6 4th_gear, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe Red Parts are based in France but their website does indicate the headlights are in-stock. Hopefully, they are used to taking UK orders and will reply shortly. Otherwise, you may have to brush up on your French and give them a call. ;)

What's the problem with Scuderia UK? I know they're slow but their prices are good and they speak the local dialect. Just call them if you find them too slow with emails.

I have only called Ricambi US and they are quick but I've never called their UK number.

I suspect the factory orders a new batch of lights when they reach a certain level of demand. As for repairs, that's what I was wondering too... how does a cable snap when it's inside a sealed unit and how did the dealer determine the cable was snapped. If the dealer can see a snapped cable then you'd think it would be possible to repair it. However, it appears to me the repair is being made under warranty so it's possible the dealer does not want to repair it because the repair would then become the dealer's responsibility to warrant going forward.

I've attached a photo of a headlight below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. stu9891

stu9891 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Stuart Morgan
    Thanks again. Scuderia Parts are good, but they're out of stock. :-(
    Oh well, I just have to keep hunting :-(

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Try eurospares.co.uk They are showing a California on their site for parts and they are in the UK

9. stu9891

stu9891 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Stuart Morgan
    Thanks. I've tried that. They've sold that car. Last year apparently. It's so annoying!