Intermittent knocking coming from rear - 2010 Cali | FerrariChat

Intermittent knocking coming from rear - 2010 Cali

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Tides, Mar 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    So. - an intermittent annoying problem that the dealership can't find the reason for - it's mostly in time with the revolution of the wheel. - it's not metallic in sound - but more of something flapping and catching something that's revolving - sometimes it will disappear totally for a few trips ( as when I took it to the dealership ) but it returns sometimes faintly and sometimes louder - it's difficult to pin point where it's coming from - dealership took off rear under trays and checked all diff to wheel torques - all was ok and nothing found - car runs great - no cels. - suggestions would be welcome - tks

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Had something similar on my 2010 Cali. I concluded it was a wheel bearing. Dealer thought it was a transmission bearing and replaced the transmission. Still there. Was one wheel bearing!

Replaced. All better.

Test for transmission is go into neutral while in motion and does the sound change? Mine didn't.

SV

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Bad tires can also cause strange sounds. How long since you changed tires??

SV

4. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015

Transmission already dropped a while back to replace sensor - I'll check for bearing - tks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015

New pss tires on rear

6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Did noise start after tire change?

SV

7. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015

Don't think so. - this is a flapping knocking type of noise that appears to eminate in the middle of the rear half of the car - and its inconsistent and not always in time with the revolution of wheel but sometimes appears as a vibration knocking often on acceleration not decel -

8. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015

I thought a bad wheel bearing would rumble

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Can you post an audio recording of the sound?

SV

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Have the service check the exhaust brakets hardware.

They were loose on my 2010 Cali and made annoying noises too.

11. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015

The wheel bearing is a most likely cause after doing some more homework - dealer said he thought that was likely since he has experienced rear wheel bearings going bad on early cali's, giving rise to a clicking sound in the beginning - that is one of the sounds I am getting. Unfortunately since the sound did not replicate at the dealership then they were unable to be definitive and said all was ok

SV can you be more specific to the type and frequency of the sounds as you remember - it seems I can either take pot luck and replace them or wait till the sounds are more frequent so a listening diagnosis can be made - tks

12. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015

The sounds are consistent with one for every revolution of the road wheel - either a click click click or a tapping sound or a mild clunking sound - speeding up or slowing down with road speed

13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Use neutral to show it is not related to the engine or transmission speeds. Should be independent of gear or engine speed tho it may be harder to hear at high speeds.

Low speed operations should be enough to demo the problem. Sometimes turning one way or the other may help localize the side. Mine was pretty clearly in back on the driver's side... get a friend to help listen and localize either inside or outside the car.

SV

14. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015

Ok - so problem was diagnosed as a RH wheel bearing going bad - seemingly not unheard of on the early Cali's - so ordered the latest wheel bearing - ( seemingly fits 458 and f12 ) complete with its subframe from Eurospares in the UK. - took 10 days for it to arrive from Ferrari and just 2 days to ship to my door from UK - a local indy shop installed it - picked the car up last night and the clicking had disappeared and rear end was much quieter than before - I hadn't realized that the bearing had contributed to the overall transmission noise at the rear - hadn't driven the car for a few weeks - so it was good to get behind the wheel again :) - heres to some spirited driving again .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Awesome resolution. Here's to more driving and less worrying about her.
    T