Thoughts on this california price | FerrariChat

Thoughts on this california price

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Avia11, Mar 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Asking price seems about 10 K less than comparable 2015 Cali T's with similar mileage, if Cars.com is any indicator. So, it could be a good deal or lightly optioned. LED lights on the steering wheel, and Scuderia shields, which are popular options. Cannot tell if it has Magneride suspension, which many people insist on. Assuming you are in hot, steamy Florida - ventilated seats would be a nice option to inquire about.

This does not appear to be an authorized F-dealer, so can you get a warranty on it, to cover big ticket items such as the convertible top and DCT sensors?

I like that it has a bit of mileage on it. Hopefully, any kinks have been worked out by the previous owner(s). The flip side, of course, is that high mileage will affect your ability to sell it down the road, given that many F-car buyers are sensitive to that. However, if this is a car you think you'll hold on to for a while, then that would be less of a concern to me.

Best of luck...T

3. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks! They are not an official dealer. The car still has its original warranty until nov 2018. At this point, can I buy an extended warranty from Ferrari?

I asked them to send me the window sticker. It has magnaride but not the HS package. I will upload the sticker once it gets sent.

Is the high mileage a good thing or a bad thing? I thought low miles was preferred. I think I would hold on to it for about 5 years. I typically put about 3-4000 miles on a car per year. I'm pretty sure when I sold it, I would have less than 30K miles on it. Does that make a difference?

I have never bought a used car before, and I'm deciding between the AMG GTC, the new aston martin vantage, or this used California. I test drove a Cali recently and I really liked it, but I also loved the AMG GTS. As California owners, has anyone had any serious issues with a 2015, or does everyone love them? Thanks so much.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think that's a decent price for a T. Good range for 30 is $140-150k and then 1st gens below that.

5. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    As far as buying an extended warranty from Ferrari, a dealer would have to first inspect the car and see if it meets their standards. I've been quoted $4,500 per year for additional coverage. Ferrari will extend the warranty up to 12 years from the date the new car went into service.

6. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    #6 Avia11, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hey guys. here is the sticker. what do you think a good offer for this car would be?

also is the mileage considered "high?" or what is considered high?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017
    #7 nextceo1, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is what that car is currently worth at Auction. Looking at the numbers, I think a fair offer would be $166k-170K. The big drawback that I see on the car is the base level rims. I cant believe that Ferrari even sells these cars with the smaller wheel. Also keep in mind that it appears to be one of the first Cali Ts made meaning that the warranty started back in 2014...leaving you less than 1 year left.

Ive been told the best options for the Cali T are as follows:

1st - Handling Pack - Since that wasnt available until 2016, it wasnt an option on this car.
    2nd - F1 Steerling Wheel...which this car has.
    3rd - Paint Color - Red or White preferred - which this car has. For whatever reason, Black is a negative $1,200 on the Auction Site...not sure why, I think the black looks great on this car.
    4th - 20" Rims /Wheels - Preferably Forage Diamond Style. This car has 19" Rims

Other preferred options but not as important - Embroidered Head Rests, the Yellow Shields on the side of the car and the Magna Ride System - which comes included with the Handling Pack.

Hope this helps...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks so much nextceo1!

Is there a way to change the rims now? How expensive is that? What website do you use to get that auction estimate? Can anyone use that site? Thanks again! That is very helpful!

9. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017
    I get that thru Manheim.com. My cousin is a Dealer so I have access to the site. If you ever want an estimate, just shoot me a message and I'll run it for you. In regards to the Rims, I'll buy OEM ones off of eBay for my various cars. I currently dont see 20" ones for the Cali but I do see a sweet brand new set of 20" Forged Diamond Rims for the Grand Lusso out there for $6,500. Not sure if they would fit the Cali or not...have to check with your local Ferrari Dealer.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Very interesting info. If I might mildly hijack, what would be the advantages of 19" versus 20" tires?
    T

11. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    The car looks nice. Can't tell if it has Apple CarPlay or upgraded speakers. Also could not tell if it had sports exhaust. It has most of the features I required. It's is important to know what s standard and what is a option. Example the back of your seats are not matching leather. It's an option. I wanted the back of the seats in matching leather. Is headliner leather?

I think this looks great for that price.

If you want new rims - I have 3 perfect rims and one that was repair I would be happy to sell. You would need new tires too, I believe the standard rims are smaller.

I have a California T scratched a rim week one, bought new rims right away and have the old rims sitting in the basement. 3 are perfect, one was repaired. I was thinking of painting black and you could never see it was repaired. Happy to sell just three and you can look for one more front rim.

12. nextceo1

nextceo1 Karting

Mar 13, 2017
    Tom, the reason for the 19" rims is they offer a smoother ride and the durability on them is better then the 20" rims which typically have a lower profile tire on them. The draw back of course is they dont nearly look as good on the car.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Ok, thanks. I got 19", and at this stage in my life, I am more into smoothness and durability, less the styling and profiling!

T

14. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks everyone for your help! Has anyone ever driven an AMG GT or an Aston Martin Vantage? I drove the GT and liked it as much as the Cali, I've never driven a Vantage before. Thanks for all of your help!

15. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Have a 2009 V8 Vantage. Love the car! Smaller and more intimate than the 458. Less power but a great ride!

SV

16. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Just say this Cali T. Looks really nice. Love the interior. You can always change the wheels but there is really no need to unless you don't like the look.

17. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks everyone for you help!

Are there any issues with the hardtop roofs breaking down or malfunctioning? Thats one of my hold ups about getting a convertible in general. Otherwise I love the color combo and the options this car has.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Higher price, lower miles. For that price though, I'd go through an an authorized dealer and get a car with a warranty, especially if the reliability of the hardtop convertible is a concern.

T

19. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i have noted that magnaride is commonly ordered on vehicles in the northern USA.
    it is ordered much less often on cars that are purchased in the south.
    in the detroit area, were we tend to have more potholes, the feature is desirable.
    however, i drive my '14 cali in race mode most of the time, when the magnaride is essentially turned off.
    i love the cali in white, even better in metallic white (bianco italia, bianco fuji).

20. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Magnaride is never off. You have two modes, Bumpy road mode and normal. But the magnaride is always on. The California have race mode? The California T does not have race mode. Comfort or Sport or Off. You cannot turn on Bumpy road mode in Comfort setting. It's can only be turned on in Sports mode. This is not for pot holes. It makes the ride smoother, not as stiff.

21. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Bianco avus is my favorite shade of white after avorio. Looks to be highly optioned. How much they asking for it?
    T

23. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    No price listed. How much would you offer for it?