Experience with the ferrari sport exhaust | FerrariChat

Experience with the ferrari sport exhaust

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DropNGimme20s, Mar 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I just got a 2014 California (my first Ferrari). I've opened the valves but would still like a stronger exhaust note. I love the sound of the Capristo but it could affect my warranty. I'm willing to risk that if need be, but the dealer recommended the sport exhaust made by Ferrari. I've been able to find very little info on this and the only video I've found is just revving in neutral.

Anybody with experience with this system? Is it a meaningful upgrade over the stock system? How does it compare to a Capristo system?

2. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I thought sport exhaust was an option when you buy California. My California said sports exhaust. I think its just nicer tail pipes. I don't think its a improved exhaust system.

I think to really change the sound you need a third party exhaust system.

3. SocialBee

SocialBee Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2015
    New Jersey
    Look at this way...get the sound the sound you want and go with the Capristo and keep your stock exhaust in storage. You can always return back to stock if necessary to avoid issues with warranty.

4. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    It's apparently an aftermarket system by Ferrari, or maybe it's an option that my car doesn't have that you can install after the fact, not sure. Either way curious if anyone has experience with it, all I could find was below on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQo14NSn4MA

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 4th_gear, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe the Ferrari sport exhaust is made by Tubi.

It's a good "cat-back" product but we have to accept that it is built to Ferrari's specs, which might be something that would not upstage the more expensive, higher-performing sister models in the Ferrari lineup. OTOH, some Ferraristi will only stay close to the factory specs, parts, sounds, while others seek to release more of the potential of the car.

In my case, I tested my car for 3 years within the factory warranty, really liked the car and then decided to release its potential without extended warranty using the best aftermarket tuner parts, trusting my dealer would continue to take care of my service needs, whatever they may be. I also try to use my dealer's department as much as possible.

I've also kept my car's original parts in case I need any of them. Here's a picture showing the factory's blurb on the sport exhaust that my dealer sent me. I've also attached an MP4 video made by my dealer showing an upgraded car being revved in neutral. The WAV file is the audio-only version in case you can't display MP4 (everything's in mono, low audio resolution due to upload file size constraints). Audio quality is close to the original MP4 recording. Otherwise, the sport exhaust does sound very decent.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bandit23 likes this.
  6. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Super helpful, thanks... I've got some thinking to do ��

7. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    I am thinking of getting this done, on my car tomorrow.
    I was told the mufflers are separate from the pipes that connect I was going to keep my existing main pipes and changed the mufflers only.
    The labor rate is a huge variance so I figured the key is to change the mufflers.

Would this work?

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
  9. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    thanks there, I am quite excited to hear the improvement in sound, from what I have been told it is a big change

10. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    by way of update, I picked up the car tonight and OMG!!! I love it it sounds soooo much tougher I will try and upload a video file soon.
    It doesn't do it justice but very happy...

thanks everyone here for your tips too.

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #11 4th_gear, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Glad it worked out great for you. IMO, it's really dumb to make super fast cars that have no sound or sound bad when driven at legal speeds - it encourages people to drive way too fast to get any satisfaction out of them. They end up either losing their license or losing the car in one manner or another. Sound matters a lot. The standard Cali already sounds better than most cars but sport mufflers really bring out the classic Ferrari sounds.

BTW, it's extremely difficult if not impossible to accurately capture car sounds in a video (the software in consumer cameras attenuates noise levels), unless you use specialized professional audio equipment.

Bandit23 likes this.
  12. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami

Everything you said is spot on correct. after this change the car sounds more like F430 very classic Ferrari as you said.
    Exactly the videos I have just do not sound any where near how it is in the flesh. When am I shifting I hear all the nice crackles and back fires it is unreal :)

13. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    ok I have done a video not the best at least gives you an idea of the improvement in the sound : :)

thanks,

14. Jmci00

Jmci00 Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
    Awesome. Do you mind me asking what exact changes you did and what was the labor and material cost from your Ferrari dealer? Mufflers only?

Joe

15. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    I changed to the Ferrari Sports Exhaust OEM all up around $3.9K
    Sports mufflers come with new pipes so this was done as well.
    As per the above image Ferrari silencers, you don't realize how quiet the stock ones are ..

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, that sounds just like my car after I did the muffler. Other than the cold start, you'll notice the exhaust pops and bangs actually get noisier after the car is good and warmed up, especially if you get your car "excited" by keeping the revs up, doing hard upshifts and downshifts. The muffler will mellow its note somewhat after it gets sooted up with a few hundred miles of driving. Mine was unbelievably loud immediately after installation.

Another item that you may like to consider is an exhaust valve controller from Capristo or Forza Componeti. It lets you hold the valves open full time and the car sounds a lot louder under all conditions.

Bandit23 likes this.
  17. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    yeh I have heard about the valve controller, for now I am going to keep it as is, the sound is incredibly loud I hope it won't mellow out too much as you say :(..
    but damn, when you fire it up it sounds awesome!
    thanks again,

18. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    You are correct. It's purely aesthetic....when valves are open with OEM boxes 20-25% still goes through the silencer boxes - all you need to do is stand behind the car and you can feel which pipes the exhaust is exiting. However when using Capristo or NR it's 100% straight through without anything passing through boxes....

19. scriber17

scriber17 Karting

Oct 30, 2008
    Manhattan, NYC
    Full Name:
    Tang
    Is there any droning at highway speeds? A video would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The audio in (my) amateur videos don't record accurately at all, IMO generally a complete waste of time. :(

If you open the valves full time and cruise at the resonance frequency, you will hear droning which will worsens if you add a sport muffler and if you go on further to a full exhaust system, it will become much worse. It's not the fault of the car or the exhaust systems, it's just natural acoustics inherent in any high performance exhaust system. There is no free lunch for performance improvements. It's not a good idea to skip buying a remote valve controller if you install a loud aftermarket exhaust.

To avoid the drone, you have to listen carefully, figure out at what engine speed your car starts to drone and then adjust accordingly. It works. OTOH, if you can't, won't or simply don't do this, you will likely just hate the noise and end up switching back to factory setup.

21. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    None if you use an x-pipe which eliminates droning

22. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Afraid i disagree with you. I've modified the exhaust system on both of my FF's, I have gone as far as changing cats on my F12, and recently tweaked my GTC4L....I have zero droning at any rpm including F121which is quite modified

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No, X-pipes are not designed for the purpose of reducing or eliminating resonance.

X-pipes are designed to improve combustion efficiency and increase the pitch of the exhaust note. I know full well the Internet has many messages in other forums where people ask or claim X-pipes would eliminate droning. It won't eliminate droning but it will change the tone of the exhaust to a higher pitch. Droning is a low-pitch resonance so if the exhaust note increases in pitch, maybe that's why some people think the drone was eliminated but the resonance is actually still there.

It is also quite possible the resonance frequency of your FF and F12 exhausts may not be apparent to you, just like nflpats reports in this message on another Cali thread that he doesn't notice any droning in his Cali with his exhaust valves open full time.

24. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    I’ve run my F12 with and without x-pipe and it’s very evident what difference it makes.....I don’t go by what I read, but what I see, feel, hear, and know.....

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  25. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not sure what you mean here, perhaps you can be more direct. Are you saying your F12 exhaust droned before you changed the H-pipe to an X-pipe?

Every object has an inherent resonance frequency. It will resonate when it is vibrated at that frequency. Changing the H-pipe to an X-pipe may modulate the resonance frequency but it is still there.