Will a new Dino replace the California? | FerrariChat

Will a new Dino replace the California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MalibuGuy, Apr 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    A new Dino has been both clamoured for and roumored about for years.

Will Ferrari make it?

And if they do, will it spell the demise of the California-- the current entry model in the line up.

2. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    At nearly $250,000, well equipped, a California is hardly an entry level vehicle. My guess is the Dino will be less expensive and made in much larger numbers. Ferrari needs to keep the production numbers low to retain exclusivity, that won't be the case with the Dino. My guess is it will compete against the 911, which starts at $90,000. I am just basing this on common sense, I have no particular secret knowledge. We'll see. Aren't they talking about a fall announcement?

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't see them making a Dino.

4. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Or going further downstream the value chain. It would be very hard to keep the mystique and demand they are enjoying if they dilute the brand in any way. I stopped buying ///Ms and standard series 911s for that reason.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Don't Ferrari need to keep below a total of 10 K cars per annum to remain exempt from mpg/emissions regulators?
    T

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Part of the problem is the factory space. Out of the Maranello plant they can squeeze out 10k cars a year but that's it.

If they were to make a Dino I think they would want 10-20K a year just in those for sales. So, the car would most likely be made at the Maserati factory in Bologna which makes the realitively low production Quattroporte, Grandturismo, and Alfa 4c.

McLaren's 570's is a pretty car good car at $150K. You have to wonder how Ferrari could compete in that range and still make a profit worth the investment. And, would it hurt the very profitable 4 series?

They've studied this for years and always end up at the same conclusion. It's not 1967 anymore and Ferrari isn't making less than 1000 cars a year.

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari has ruled out a car cheaper than the California. Anything lower is Maserati territory, as they say. Also, 10k units a year is the absolute limit as this exempts them from emission regulations in the EU. So a Dino is either not happening (the most probable scenario), or it will be just a smaller 488, but still very expensive and exclusive.

8. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    +1

However the Maserati factory (Gran Turismo, Gran Cabrio and 4C) is based in Modena.

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Right on all counts. It's not happening. The only way Dino might be resurrected is with the new Cali, were there to be a V6 version.....

10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I was under the impression that this is happening and thought it was already widely believed as truth. IIRC weren't there mid engine V6 miles spotted by several people including Marchittino. Also with Uncle Sweater's recent comments bad mouthing the Cali it appears a Dino might just be planned as he's paving the way with his words.

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The Dino is more fiction than reality. The rumor is that the future California will have two alternative engines, one a 2.9 liter twin-turbo V6 with hp ? and the other a 3.9 liter twin-turbo V8 with around 600 hp which will be able to do 0-60mph in 3 seconds.

The reason for having an hypothetical 2.9 liter engine version I can only understand it if Ferrari wants to lower substantially the price of this version in comparison to the 3.9 liter otherwise buyers will always prefer the second. However due to the fact that the Maranello factory is more or less limited to a maximum production of around 10.000 cars/year and Mr. Marchionne wants to make as much profit as possible, I can't see the point of occupying production space making a car that has a lower selling price unless it is more profitable than all the others.

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Trust me, a new model makes no sense whatsoever. The costs would be prohibitive for just 1,000 approx units a year, the market segment is the most competitive in the industry with Porsche, MCL, Audi dominating in a furious battle, a part of the market Ferrari always considered themselves above. What is the point of investing hugely and risking brand image and getting down into almost Maserati price territory for a measly 1,000 cars a year, when all they have to do is pump out two versions of the Cali, a much more comfortable segment, at a very low incremental cost. After all, the bottom line is what counts in today's Ferrari world.

13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Keep this in mind...

Ferrari could be choosing their words wisely.

If they make a new entry level car and dont put Ferrari badges on it, only Dino badges, they are keeping their word but still create an cheaper car that they can sell higher numbers of.

They know they we know the Dino would still be a Ferrari, even if its not badged as such.

So i could see a $175k Dino being made and sold through Ferrari/Maserati dealers.

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    And what would the point be if they need to keep under 10,000 units and they are already close to 9,000?

15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If its a Dino they dont have to include it in that count.

16. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I don't think the Dino will replace the Cali. I do think the Dino can be real. Remember a Dino was NOT a Ferrari. I have said it before. The 4C is the perfect chassis to become the Dino. The car could be made at the Maserati factory around the corner or somewhere else. Alfa put a lot of energy into that 4C carbon frame. Why?

The new California will share a platform with another car. Sergio is obsessed with platform sharing to reduce cost.