Pre-Purchase Inspection | FerrariChat

Pre-Purchase Inspection

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Maximillian575GTC, Apr 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maximillian575GTC

Sep 28, 2006
    NAS/NCE/YYZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Hey guys,

Came across a '12 Cali with 10k miles at an independent dealer. Quick couple of questions. Have you or would you recommend a Ferrari Pre-Purchase Inspection -- does Ferrari even offer that in Canada? How much should that cost ballpark? Any specific things you would recommend checking for in the 2012?

Thanks a lot!

2. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Personally I wouldn't consider a Ferrari purchase without a PPI, preferable from a dealer.
    You probably don't have any prior receipts, so the PPI is even more vital. Cost in the US is usually in the $1,000 or so range.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I bought mine without a PPI but it was from an authorized dealer and came CPOd. In the absence of those two things, I'd insist on a PPI. Where is the car located? I'd post up in the regional F-chat section that is appropriate. Also, if the seller gives you any song & dance about have a PPI done, I'd consider that a red flag, and walk.
    Good luck.
    T

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 4th_gear, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I imagine FoO would be happy to perform a PPI for you. They are a major dealer on par with any other and do not lack resources.

In case you're not aware, Ferrari dealers must perform warranty extension certifications before they sell you extended warranty. This inspection is obviously done to make sure the car has been properly serviced in the past and that no warrantied parts are already in need of service. Standard price for the warranty extension from FoO in 2016 was $635.00 CAD plus HST. I did one just for the information on my car which I bought new, and not for warranty extension.

You can ask FoO to make up any differences between this inspection and a PPI but otherwise I imagine they would likely overlook cosmetic issues like scratches, small bumps, normal wear level on brakes/tires, interior wear and tear,...etc. Here is the checklist for the warranty extension inspection:
    The following operations must be certified on the basis of your inspection:
    1. Fulfilment of regular ordinary maintenance check-ups as outlined in the vehicle instruction manual.

2. Absence of any fluid leaks (oil, water, gasoline, etc.).

3. No errors or malfunctions in the electric/electronic devices for system management (power unit, suspensions, brakes, etc.) or in the safety devices (airbag, alarm system, etc.).

4. Vehicle conformity: wheel rims, tires, suspensions, bodywork, exhaust, aerodynamic profiles, etc., as standard components.

5. Presence of spare key, remote controls, tool kit, Owner’s manual and fully completed Warranty and
    Service Booklet.

Here's a copy of the actual certification check lists...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login