Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > California

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Vic
My Garage
While the depreciation is certainly a part of it, it's also important to pick the car that fits your lifestyle best. My first Ferrari was a "proper" red gated F430 Berlinetta and while I loved the car, the California 30 is a better fit for me, and I drive it much more often than I did the F430. It's just easier to drive wherever I'm heading on a nice day, where the F430 was more of an event, attracted a lot more attention and I worried about parking it, wife didn't want to ride in it because it feels like a race car, etc.

In Porsche terms it reminds me of giving up my beloved 1987 911 Turbo and its 4-speed transmission when I moved to the Boston area back in 2000, it was just not suited for commuting in that traffic as a daily driver. The later model 993 I bought did just fine.

As far as depreciation, a car like an F430 that is closer to the bottom of its depreciation curve is attractive, plus it's less money than a near-new California T. Plenty of F1 F430s out there in the low 100 range with reasonable miles. The 6-speeds shot up, and have come down a bit, but as that is viewed as more of a "collectible" car now, you have to be concerned with mileage if you're worried about resale. That's okay for an occasional weekend driver but it you want to get out and drive the car a lot, it's something to think about. Or buy an earlier California, they have come down significantly since the T came out. Still a terrific car.

My view is, if it's depreciating anyway, you might as well get out there and enjoy it, which is why I've put almost 10k miles on my California in less than 2 years, and that's storing it for the winter. I wrapped it in XPel, extended the original warranty and I just don't worry about it.

That said, I'm going back the other way, possibly, I just listed my 2013 for sale and have my eye on a 458. But it's not my only car and I work from home.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

I ruled out the 458 based on friends experience with them being garage queens or strictly track cars. I can't get out of them without hitting my left knee on the dash. I am 6'3" tall these days but my legs are long. No such issue with either the 991tts or the Cali T. The Cali T is higher than the 911 and causes less problems parking. The 458 will be worse without a lifter. I am extremely pleased with what the HS does for the Cali T. boobernackle hit the nail on the head. My Porsche was blazing fast but all that horsepower was wasted in the city.

I don't in any way think that the Cali T has no provenance nor is it a re-badged Maserati. It's a great car and probably the most practical car made by Ferrari. We have a saying here in the US, different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:48 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

please don't follow the stereotype and be a doctor that drives a Porsche...

go Ferrari!

i had a 2012 cali white/cuoio loved it, then red/beige 458 spider loved it even more but my tall friends did get cramped in 458

lost more money on the 458 than the cali because the MSRP on 458 was carbon fiber inflated but still enjoyed both so get your head right before you buy, it's a mindset not a numbers game
Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

haha. im 6 1 ... i don't know if that qualifies as tall. i think there is only one carbon fiber option on either of the cali's im looking at. msrp for the first high 250s the other high 240s. both being sold for 180s. i dont know what you guys think but i put maybe 2k miles on a car a year, the warranty expires late aug 2019 for both, i think i should be able to either extend the warranties or get rid of the cars for anywhere from 120-150. losing 30-35k on a car over 2-3 years is just part of driving right? im not so concerned about that as I am of overpaying for something. i did look at some 458s this morning, im not convinced its a better fit for my lifestyle. californias are beautiful cars (in my opinion) but i dont know if they are as flashy as a 458... i want a nice relatively low key fast car. i never got into the look of any of the porches except for the carerra gt and i'm not at a point in my life where i can spend 750-850K on a car...
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Tom C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avia11 View Post
haha. im 6 1 ... i don't know if that qualifies as tall. i think there is only one carbon fiber option on either of the cali's im looking at. msrp for the first high 250s the other high 240s. both being sold for 180s. i dont know what you guys think but i put maybe 2k miles on a car a year, the warranty expires late aug 2019 for both, i think i should be able to either extend the warranties or get rid of the cars for anywhere from 120-150. losing 30-35k on a car over 2-3 years is just part of driving right? im not so concerned about that as I am of overpaying for something. i did look at some 458s this morning, im not convinced its a better fit for my lifestyle. californias are beautiful cars (in my opinion) but i dont know if they are as flashy as a 458... i want a nice relatively low key fast car. i never got into the look of any of the porches except for the carerra gt and i'm not at a point in my life where i can spend 750-850K on a car...

Cali definitely gets less attention than a 458, especially if you choose a low key color. Better yet, find an example without shields.
T
Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Steve Newton
Go with the car you have found.
It has the options you want.
You have worked long and hard to get past your fellowship and a reward is certainly what the doctor orders. You have the money so forget about all these nonsense details and just do it. Don't overthink this. Leave that to your medical practice.
Also, when I bought my car in May 2015 Ferrari Financial was offering a 1.9% interest rate.
Hard to beat that if it is still available.
Make some investments with your cash and get more than 1.9% I would think.
Bottom line:
Forget about depreciation and enjoy life.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraggy View Post
That's actually very good, I just mean if you are worried about depreciation etc make a smart buy and get a Ferrari or Ferrari model line with provenance. You don't need a chiropractor in a 430 manual Spider with ceramics and you will have free motoring for life.
I could have bought two F430 for the cost of my California T. And I still selected the California T. My guess is you have never driven a California T. Just a guess.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

I have a 2015 T with 11k miles, it is loaded. Looking at trading it, offers are 115k below the sticker price.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:44 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

What is the sticker on your car....285K?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 AM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

It was a January order.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

makes sense, most dealers are asking for 175K for a 2015... but once you add the 2 year warranty extension you're back up to 183K (if your dealer is selling the warranty at cost) or 185 if you;re getting it at 9,999.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:16 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
makes sense, most dealers are asking for 175K for a 2015... but once you add the 2 year warranty extension you're back up to 183K (if your dealer is selling the warranty at cost) or 185 if you;re getting it at 9,999.
The car of your dreams is at Ferrari of Austin but it's not the price of your dreams. Bianco with Nero top, black and red interior, CF steering and drivers area as well as HS. Full electric, heated and ventilated seats. It's a 2017 that is going to be sold as new so your name would go on the order and you would be an original Ferrari owner. I didn't see the sticker but my guess is around 240-250k. Didn't notice if it had backup camera or homelink mirror. Just saw it yesterday when I exchanged my plates. My car is having the backup camera and homelink mirror installed.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Don't mean to derail this thread...when you get the backup camera installed at the dealer instead of the factory, is the cost any cheaper? We have it in our 2018 build but have thought about removing it since they are charging $3,700 from the factory...our build has gotten a little out of control as it now sits north of 266k.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextceo1 View Post
Don't mean to derail this thread...when you get the backup camera installed at the dealer instead of the factory, is the cost any cheaper? We have it in our 2018 build but have thought about removing it since they are charging $3,700 from the factory...our build has gotten a little out of control as it now sits north of 266k.
They are including it as part of the purchase of the car so I don't know what the charge is aftermarket but it's probably just labor plus parts. I mentioned that the car was perfect except for those two features (backup camera and homelink) and so they told me they would throw them in if I would buy the car. I said I will buy the car if you throw them in and give me a good trade which they did. I believe it would have brought the build price of my car to around $245k. As it was in the showroom it was $239,273.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Lease it and find a way to expense it. That equates to 40-45% off
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
link me to all these 2015 for $175K
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominayal View Post
Lease it and find a way to expense it. That equates to 40-45% off
please explain your math.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Tom C
Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
link me to all these 2015 for $175K

There's a few on Cars.com on that range, but not many, out of 50 2015s listed. Wonder if folks are feeling and settling for less?
T
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
There's a few on Cars.com on that range, but not many, out of 50 2015s listed. Wonder if folks are feeling and settling for less?
T
car guru has 20 under 190K (2015 to 2017). some look great. Depends on the options. If one of the models under $190 meets a persons requirements, its a great car.

45 total 2015. 1 for $165. Accident. 1 with 21K miles $170K. 4 from 173K to 178K (no upgraded rims or magnaride). Then it jumps up to 185K.

Last edited by good2go; Yesterday at 09:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
please explain your math.
Assuming you are in the top tax bracket plus sum state tax if u lease a business vehicle and deduct that as an expense, compared to no vehicle deduction u will save in taxes an amount which is about 40-45% of the lease payment.

E.g.

Lease is $2k/month. Total reduction in taxable income for the year is $24000 which equals a $9600 reduction in tax liability (at 40%) plus whatever state income tax is.
Non-Sponsor Ads